Engine oil spotted around the sump and on the gearbox.

dk1234

Reaction score
Hi,

I have my car at Audi as there was a recall to update ESC control unit, they will be replacing the control module as it crashed during the update. They done a health check and said that there's likely a leak as there is engine oil around the sump and on the gearbox. Where the engine bolts onto the gear box, it's covered in engine oil.

They said if I wanted them to investigate it further it would be £87

Is this quite major and an essential thing to get repaired, and if so is it likely to be expensive? Should I get Audi to look at it or go elsewhere?

They asked me if I wanted a few other things done and I spoke to different about the same job and got different prices. E.g. over an £100 difference to change the gearbox oil (I have auto/DSG) and let's say nearly 50% difference for brake fluid change. £40 to change a Tyre valve and £27 for a rear wiper.

Audi A3 2009 2.0T

Here are some pictures of the engine oil leak from under the car. What you guys think?
Sump3
Sump2
Untitled

Try and get some pics that aren't really close - so you can see the bigger picture if you get me

As for Audi sticking extras on top I have my ABS recall the other day and gave me a list of expensive BS work they wanted to do

Reactions: dk1234
Get it cleaned off and recheck not going find anything with all that hanging about

Reactions: dk1234 and Retroman
Get it cleaned off and recheck not going find anything with all that hanging about

What's the best way to clean it off? I imagine there's an easier way, an harder way or maybe a recommenced way.

Try and get some pics that aren't really close - so you can see the bigger picture if you get me

As for Audi sticking extras on top I have my ABS recall the other day and gave me a list of expensive BS work they wanted to do

Here's a video if it's any good.

Also, it looks like they have flexibility with their prices.. As i was quoted a couple of way different prices for the same jobs.

What's the best way to clean it off? I imagine there's an easier way, an harder way or maybe a recommenced way.
You could get it jet washed or steamed cleaned access will be an issue with it being down the back or my preferred method you could use a ****load of brake cleaner and rags.

Reactions: dk1234
Favourites for leaks between the engine and box are-
Leaking rear crank oil seal.
Leaking box input shaft seal.

In reality it could be anything above the gap between the two but you do need to clean off the mess first. I would spray some engine degreaser with some sort of hand spray bottle and then hose it all off after 10 mins. Run the engine and you should see where the oil is coming from. It's not easy to see right under there and messy too so I would leave it for the garage to do on the ramps.

Reactions: Shiz94
Rear crank seals shouldn’t be failing at this age but that’s what happens when they cut costs unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk