Diesel sound at idle - Fixed

Mdnzo

Reaction score
Thought i would post this just in case it helps anyone. I've found the forums a great help over the years so thought it was time I should post something..

A3 2.0 TFSI AXX engine 85k
Started to notice a diesel-like idling noise a while ago which has been gradually getting louder aand can be heard in the cabin.
Noise was only present once up to temp (90), and only at idle.

Based on various forum posts on these symptoms, it pointed 99% to cam chain tensioner issues.

Following inspection, garage concluded there was a slightly loud noise coming from this area, although the engine seemed to run fine otherwise.
Once the cam chain housing was removed, it was clear that the culprit was indeed the chain tensioner, which was sticking and thus not always providing sufficient tension, particularly at idle. In addition to this, the cam adjuster was damaged, including the housing. It was suspected that this was caused by oil issues (not enough/wrong grade etc).
So in the end the chain, tensioner and adjuster /housing needed to be replaced.
As some have already mentioned, the tensioner and chain are not particularly expensive in parts. The adjuster and housing on the other hand is pricey so hopefully most won't need to do this bit as well!
Having replaced all of these parts, the result was back to how a normal tfsi engine should sound. I.e. will still get the hpfp ticking etc but with noisy diesel idle completely gone. Start up and shut down is cleaner and power delivery smoother.

Part numbers are as follows for the items replaced:

06F198088D - repair set complete with adjuster + housing + gasket

06D109229D - timing chain & tensioner

06F103483D - rocker cover gasket

I wanted to upload videos of before and after but not sure how to do that on here. Is it possible to embed this or only to link to external sites?

Reactions: DJ_26