S3 8l bam front propshaft removal help needed..

Silva bullet

Reaction score
Evening everyone I got a 3 inch downpipe and decat from pipewerx.
For the past 2 days my front end has been on jackstands with the front subframe lowered,cats are off,downpipe off turbo end but still can't wiggle the oem downpipe from the top or from underneath.
Propshaft is in the way and there's no way I can with that in the way which brings me to my question how hard is it to remove the propshaft and what socket bits I would need.
I have halfords pro tool kit and also 1/2 long breaker bars if that what's needed..if anyone can shed some light I would be thrilled as my knowledge seems to be letting me down lol...thanks everyone. .Silva bullet

I find it easier to remove the prop shaft from the gearbox from the top, need to remove tip for access.

Socket you need is a 10mm 12 point. When you crack bolt off leave it in gear (stops prop turning)

I really struggled to get the OE downpipe off my TT when I changed the exhaust downpipe. What a nightmare. It came off in several pieces in the end.
Mk1 TT 225 track day car
I think if I had undone the bolt on the steering rack the drivers side end of the subframe would have dropped a lot more and it would have flown out.
Didn't want to mess around resetting the steering though.
Thankfully reinstalling the new downpipe was a doddle compared to the OE item.
Undo the exhaust hanger bracket on the subframe if you haven't already that gets in the way as well.

Thanks for your input deserts torment and sam hendry.
I didn't think about the bolt on steering rack so will have a play with that..
I have also removed the hanger bracket which made getting cats out alot easier.
One thing I would like to know is if I unbolt propshaft from front end would I also need to unbolt the other end at back of the car.
I'm attempting this work in a hour or so just getting things ready right now..
Thanks for the info guys and I will post and take snaps as I go along..Silva bullet

I really struggled to get the OE downpipe off my TT when I changed the exhaust downpipe. What a nightmare. It came off in several pieces in the end.
Mk1 TT 225 track day car
I think if I had undone the bolt on the steering rack the drivers side end of the subframe would have dropped a lot more and it would have flown out.
Didn't want to mess around resetting the steering though.
Thankfully reinstalling the new downpipe was a doddle compared to the OE item.
Undo the exhaust hanger bracket on the subframe if you haven't already that gets in the way as well.
My last post was a thank you to yourself and samhendry I'm typing on my phone and think it said desert something sorry buddy lol

Only need to unbolt the prop at the gearbox end and that will allow you to move the prop to the side.

Make sure you undo the dog bone mount, that's give you engine movement so you can pull engine away from prop shaft and allow the two to separate.

Morning everyone and boy am I excited today or what
Pipewerx downpipe is finally on just got to bolt in exhaust hanger bolts and connect decat section.
While the car was off road I pulled the injecters out to replace the seals so hopefully no boosty leaky leaky lol
Will update probs late on or when bad light stops play..Silva bullet

Reactions: desertstorm
Hello ladies and gents finally got the notorious Pipewerx downpipe and decat on.
The subframe bolts are all righty tight all hoses and charge pipe bits are all in place.m
Now there are 2 problems decat section that goes into the standard s3 8l cattback system is not long enough and not tappered enough to slot in enough so it's blowing in that place.
Problem 2 and the main problem is that I can't seem to find the hole (other end) where the 4 bolts for the steering rack goes.
As I turn the steering rack bolt (1 off 4)it keeps turning and as a result the steering is not tight and goes all over the place..I'm stuck tool a day off work tomorrow..noooo
If someone can help me with some wisdom I would really and utterly be forever thankful.
I can live and drive with exhaust blow for now but the steering is well scary as I found out going a few feet forward..
Thank you everyone...Silva bullet

Just so I can check my Haynes manual have you actually not connected the steering rack back to the subframe? - you are definitely not trying to use the wrong bolts?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/power-steering-rack-replacement-how-1940640/
Steeringrackbolts

Just so I can check my Haynes manual have you actually not connected the steering rack back to the subframe? - you are definitely not trying to use the wrong bolts?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/tt-mk1-discussion-9/power-steering-rack-replacement-how-1940640/
View attachment 140104
Hiya Stuart b just had a look at your pics and I can say they will defo help me in the morning I'm tired and frustrated wanted to check the new turbo spool up time today lol and the bolts are the right 13mm hexagons..
Comes tomorrow I'm gonna whip off subframe and go from there.
When I take subframe off should I try to tighten the steering rack bolts first and subframe bolts last?thanks for the info mate..Silva bullet

View attachment 140104
Yes Stuart b steering rack is not connected to the subframe as if its not lined up in the subframe holes..the bolts keep spinning and not tightening
Thanks for your help silva bullet..

on all 4? it must just be an alignment thing - no wonder you are sh*ting yourself trying to drive a car without any steering.

Reactions: hydro s3