MMI and iPod Classic

dadracer55

Reaction score
Hi folks, a question on MMI please for my new S3 8V FL saloon.

I'm trying to get my old 5th Gen Classic iPod (with a wheel not a touchscreen) to work with the MMI but it wont do so with just the white Apple cable and 30 pin connector. Can someone please advise which Audi connector cable that I need if indeed there is one for this device?

Any help would be excellent thanks!

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Just copy your music from your iPod to a SD card or jukebox and play your music from that.

I used to have my iPod connected via this cable 'Audi Music Interface AMI MMI AUX Cable Adapter for iPod iPhone 4FO 051 510K'

But find playing from the jukebox or SD card better.

Ok thanks I will give it a try as it saves buying a special cable!

I'm in Livingston near Edinburgh. Thanks for your recommendation. I am going to try the SD card thing first and see if that works.

I'm in Livingston near Edinburgh. Thanks for your recommendation. I am going to try the SD card thing first and see if that works.
lol too far, if you had been close I'd have given you the lead you need :)

Just for info, the SD card I use that works is the SDHC class 10

The SD card route is by far the best option I would say. No cables and it's always there ready.

I have exactly the same set up as you, S3 8V FL Saloon with the same iPod Classic.
All you need is the charging cable plugged into the USB socket in the centre arm rest.
Works perfectly via the steering wheel controls etc complete with album art on the screen.
The FL doesn't have any of the old style sockets / cables of previous cars.

I have exactly the same set up as you, S3 8V FL Saloon with the same iPod Classic.
All you need is the charging cable plugged into the USB socket in the centre arm rest.
Works perfectly via the steering wheel controls etc complete with album art on the screen.
The FL doesn't have any of the old style sockets / cables of previous cars.
That's weird then, why can't I get it to work? So you don't use the silver scroll wheel but the steering wheel controls. I'm going out to try that right now!!!

That's weird then, why can't I get it to work? So you don't use the silver scroll wheel but the steering wheel controls. I'm going out to try that right now!!!
I can use both mate. The scroll wheel and steering wheel controls when I'm viewing on the pop up screen and the steering wheel controls when I'm viewing in the virtual cockpit.

I gave up on the iPod and I don't feel like buying another newer version. So I tried the SD card idea and stuck a few albums on a card from iTunes and hey presto it works....huzzah! Thanks for everyone's support.

I much prefer the SD card option, have all but abandoned using the ipod/iphone for music in the car. I just remember the ipod connection being essential on my spec list when I ordered this A3 and the one before that (8p). I originally ignored the fact I had SD card slots!

Yeah and the card is so much cheaper than having to buy one of these Audi special leads. Also frees up more space in the arm rest for stuff.

Excuse the ignorance guys as I've never used SD cards other than in the past for digital cameras.
I've got a slot on my PC for SD cards so can I take all my music from iTunes and put it on an SD card? Or does Apple block this?

Excuse the ignorance guys as I've never used SD cards other than in the past for digital cameras.
I've got a slot on my PC for SD cards so can I take all my music from iTunes and put it on an SD card? Or does Apple block this?
Yes. I copied them from the itunes folder in albums across to my sd card. I have a 64gb card and it works a treat.

Yes. I copied them from the itunes folder in albums across to my sd card. I have a 64gb card and it works a treat.

Cheers Suzanne. I'll maybe give that a go. Might be a job for during the Christmas hols.

Depends! iTunes or Apple music? If you are paying monthly for your music via Apple Music then you won't be able to as you are effectively renting the tracks/albums. Same as Spotify. What i guess @suzannec has done is use existing music she has bought or transferred to iTunes and then copied them to the SD Card.

Music you have bought in iTunes or transferred across = you can transfer to SD Card

Apple Music or Spotify Offline/premium pay monthly music = Encrypted and can only be played via your device.

Depends! iTunes or Apple music? If you are paying monthly for your music via Apple Music then you won't be able to as you are effectively renting the tracks/albums. Same as Spotify. What i guess @suzannec has done is use existing music she has bought or transferred to iTunes and then copied them to the SD Card.

Music you have bought in iTunes or transferred across = you can transfer to SD Card

Apple Music or Spotify Offline/premium pay monthly music = Encrypted and can only be played via your device.
It's all iTunes for mine. Either downloaded or from my own CD's.

Reactions: Ormesome
Hi, sorry for picking up on this late but I have tried this and while the card works, it has missed out some music and only plays songs by artists in alphabetical order. I think this is an iTunes/user issue. Which folder did you copy onto the card? Thanks

Copy your files from the actual data folder(s) on the pc, not from iTunes app. Actually I think iTunes is the spawn of the devil and never use it anyway.

Hi, sorry for picking up on this late but I have tried this and while the card works, it has missed out some music and only plays songs by artists in alphabetical order. I think this is an iTunes/user issue. Which folder did you copy onto the card? Thanks

Not sure what you mean but are you saying you only have a list of songs in alphabetical order? I created a new folder for each artist and copied each album from iTunes direct into that folder. Easy to find the artists and then the album I want . Also couple of Playlist with various/artist songs created into a folder with playlist id heading. I also numbered those and they are always on the top of MMI menu when i go to media rather than under 'P'.

I know what you mean - on a Mac with the option ticked to keep iTunes folder organised it puts songs in folders according to artist, with compilations stored in a folder with that name then in folder by album name. Should be the same for PC I believe. Anyway if you copy the iTunes Media folder to an SD card you’ll have tracks sorted by artist.
I do it this way but would actually prefer an iPod for the convenience of searching etc (though MMI interface isn’t as good as others, my Smart Roadster has a Parrot in it where you can say name of artist or song and it finds it!) but some cretin stole 2 iPods (don’t ask me why I had two!) out of my car when I accidentally left it unlocked in Islington. And even my prescription driving glasses (though not my Ray Bans??!)

I know what you mean - on a Mac with the option ticked to keep iTunes folder organised it puts songs in folders according to artist, with compilations stored in a folder with that name then in folder by album name. Should be the same for PC I believe. Anyway if you copy the iTunes Media folder to an SD card you’ll have tracks sorted by artist.
I do it this way but would actually prefer an iPod for the convenience of searching etc (though MMI interface isn’t as good as others, my Smart Roadster has a Parrot in it where you can say name of artist or song and it finds it!) but some cretin stole 2 iPods (don’t ask me why I had two!) out of my car when I accidentally left it unlocked in Islington. And even my prescription driving glasses (though not my Ray Bans??!)
I'll try copying the iTunes media folder then. After a couple of days of playing with the SD card there are all sorts of problems and spending days creating folders for each artist doesn't seem the right thing to do. Searching with MMI is a little painful on the SD card. Had a 2011 Passat with a nice secure ipod dock hidden above the glove box, easy to use no issues. Seems music has gone backwards. Does any of this work better with a newer ipod?

Not sure what you mean but are you saying you only have a list of songs in alphabetical order? I created a new folder for each artist and copied each album from iTunes direct into that folder. Easy to find the artists and then the album I want . Also couple of Playlist with various/artist songs created into a folder with playlist id heading. I also numbered those and they are always on the top of MMI menu when i go to media rather than under 'P'.
If I choose albums it is OK (apart from the fact there a lots of them missing and tracks missing) but if I play by artist it plays all songs by that artist in alphabetical order as opposed to by album order. I'm not sure I have the time or will power to go through the process of copying all the albums into new folders. I could be there a while.

If I choose albums it is OK (apart from the fact there a lots of them missing and tracks missing) but if I play by artist it plays all songs by that artist in alphabetical order as opposed to by album order. I'm not sure I have the time or will power to go through the process of copying all the albums into new folders. I could be there a while.

Putting the albums into folders was the only way I could get all of the songs correctly on each album. I agree it is time consuming but once done it works well for me. Never could get on with the iPod attached by cable assuming you can find the correct one, Red, White or yellow collar. Hope you get it sorted though.

Sorry to bring up this old thread, but my friend's FL S3 (BE with B&O) has an old iPod (with the old 30 pin original Apple cable) connected to a USB socket in the centre console and the car sees all the tracks fine (even artwork) but it is just refusing to play the music! It shows the length of the track, but pressing the volume button in (to make sure it's not muted) isn't doing anything...Help!

I know it’s not actually answering the question, but have you considered copying to sd card? So much more convenient.

It's not me, it's my friend. I have all my iTunes music on SD already :D

So who can answer the question - why is an iPod Nano (30 pin) showing all track info etc but not playing music when plugged in to the armrest USB sockets with original Apple cable??

Car is MY2017 BE

I have just tried an old 8 gb classic connected with apple 30 pin lead into armrest USB of my 2019 A3. The music, track info and artwork all display and play OK on mine so perhaps you have a faulty lead?

Edit; Corrected ipod type

Didn't know the classic came in 8 GB (must be seriously old!) but thanks, that's helpful, will try a different lead

Issue sorted - all it required was a restart of the iPod!

Didn't know the classic came in 8 GB (must be seriously old!) but thanks, that's helpful, will try a different lead

Looked again, mine is also a Nano bought in 2007! excuse of advancing years but credit to Audi that they can still work in their cars without the usual drama over leads.
I recall it was not so easy to get it to work in my B8 A4 which is why I got it originally.
Glad you got it sorted.

Reactions: HertS3