Finally brought myself to film a review of my A3

Adomas G

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
So after few months I'm finally done with the review of my A3 that I've been planning to make for a while :)
You're welcome to check it out and leave any thoughts!

Cheers

Reactions: A789, Rideen and lea323ci
Good review mate, good presentation skills as well

Ha, those stains! :p

Edit: The only bit I would criticize is the part where you said 140 engine and 6 speed gearbox are bulletproof. I've had the exact same setup and the reliability of this engine and the gearbox after 160k miles is horrible (plus 2 people which I know constantly have issues with this combination).

To name a few:

Chocolate turbo
Gearbox shaft play
DMF prone to fail
Injector failures
Cylinder head issues

Last edited:
They make me want to get a set of leathers, I tried to get rid of those eyesores a few times with steam, foam and whatnot without luck

Appreciate the criticism, I actually didn't know 140 was weak, mine never failed me and a friend's 140 6 speed Passat seems to go well into 200k club without much bother, looks like I'll have to research it better next time :) is it the actual block that's crap or is it a matter of 140/170 versions?

They make me want to get a set of leathers, I tried to get rid of those eyesores a few times with steam, foam and whatnot without luck

Appreciate the criticism, I actually didn't know 140 was weak, mine never failed me and a friend's 140 6 speed Passat seems to go well into 200k club without much bother, looks like I'll have to research it better next time :) is it the actual block that's **** or is it a matter of 140/170 versions?

Both 140 and 170 have their flaws.

Passat 140 engine is not the same as A3 as Passat one tends to have oil pump failures and A3 tends to do the stuff I mentioned above. I've owned the same engine as you have and it was fine for about a year but then daaaaaaaamn. Invested 4000 Euros on fixing it all then sold the car for 4000 Euros just to get rid of it after 5 years. Also, as mentioned, got 2 more people who are having headaches with their 2.0 140 engines even though they were properly maintained in the past. All in all, the combination of 2.0 140 and 6 speed gearbox isn't bad, it just isn't bulletproof and even minor flaws start showing at around 140k mark. Take care of your car and as soon as you notice any rattle, engine shaking, coolant loss or rough idle, get it fixed to avoid costlier bills later on. :)

On the other hand 170 has Siemens injectors and a DPF which can get costly if any of those go wrong.

The only really reliable diesel in the range is 1.9 TDI PD (105).