Facelift Engine revs when braking in dynamic mode

Lxm

Reaction score
currently driving a facelift S3 with about 1000miles on.. been experience this revving sound while braking in dynamic.

Was told by a friend that it is engine braking, Any expert here is able to confirm it? New to the car, sorry if the question sounded silly

P.S the sound is actually very nice but it jerks the car a little.

It sounds like the auto blip, yes it gives the engine a little rev when coming down through the gears, so yes it will do For example if you're in 4th gear coming to a stop at traffic lights or a junction.

It sounds like the auto blip, yes it gives the engine a little rev when coming down through the gears, so yes it will do For example if you're in 4th gear coming to a stop at traffic lights or a junction.
Yes exactly the same, even from 3rd geAr to 2nd there's a revving sound and tiny jerk too. So I assume it's normal then??

I have never felt a jerk, but yes, it does change down when braking. Sometimes, particularly on undulating country roads it can take you by surprise, and to be honest, seems to change down a cog too many. I just use the up paddle to change up and it's fine.

My car does this too. A very slight lurch/jerk on down shifts. Almost like in a manual car if you let the clutch out to fast (if you down shift through the gears).

Noticed that it really gets confused at roundabouts in third, if your speed is just at that point where it decides to change to second, just as you decide to apply the throttle. Massive jerk and confusion then!

You're driving a sports car in effect, that is a feature known as an auto-blip.

Reactions: Mark_86 and JM 772
And if you was in a manual I suppose it would be heel to toe braking style.

Also remember that the DSG box has 2 clutches so when it operates fast on the downshift in sport there will be some engine braking effect as one of the two the clutches is let back in.

Noticed that it really gets confused at roundabouts in third, if your speed is just at that point where it decides to change to second, just as you decide to apply the throttle. Massive jerk and confusion then!

This is a classic example of learning how to anticipate what the box is going to do in individual situations and learning to adjust your driving style to avoid them. Sometimes this can be counter intuitive from say a traditional automatic or a ZF 8 speed but it does work once you get the hang of it.

Reactions: AL_B and DW81
This is a classic example of learning how to anticipate what the box is going to do in individual situations and learning to adjust your driving style to avoid them. Sometimes this can be counter intuitive from say a traditional automatic or a ZF 8 speed but it does work once you get the hang of it.
Exactly whilst it’s an auto box you do need to work with it a little, the box doesn’t know what’s ahead. I think the latest stronic is fantastic.

Reactions: Andy F and DW81
Thanks guys. Fully understood!

I just installed the armytrix system today, worth every penny. The pops are insane!