My new Sportback

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well I said good-bye to my A3 2.0TDI-140 SE DSG and collected my new A3 2.0TDI-170 SE S-tronic Sportback on Thursday morning.

Both cars were Silver with Light Grey interior and walnut inlays but I now have 5 doors rather than 3, 17" 16-spoke wheels rather than 16" 7-arm alloy wheels, Xenon plus headlights with built-in Daytime Running Lights and a 170hp engine rather than a 140hp.

I know my choice of an SE with s-tronic in Silver with a light grey interior and walnut inlays will not be everyone's choice but having had my previous A3 for nearly 3 years in the same colour scheme it was one I personally liked. I had enough cars with black interiors over my total of 21 cars that it's pleasant change. My overall choice is probably regarded by some as an 'old man's' choice but then I am an getting on a bit (60 in December) but still enjoy my cars and driving them as much as ever.

The new Sportback feels just as comfortable on it's 17" wheels and 45 series tyres as my previous A3. Not really explored the handling yet but it certainly seems just as good if not better than the previous A3. About the only thing that did annoy me about my previous A3 was when the drivers seat was changed to suit either myself or my wife it would sometimes click back a notch hours after I'd changed it back to my front to back setting, so on the new one I went for electric controls for the drivers seat. This not only allows for very easy seat adjustment and no sudden click back a notch but also a greater range of adjustment. It has the normal front/back movement, backrest angle and seat height, but it also allows the front and/or the back of the seat to be raised and lowered independently as well. Quite a few of the general levers and controls feel just that little bit better in their action on the new one. The seat belts pull out much easier than before as well and of course being a 5-door are much easier to reach to put on.

The 170 engine feels very good and is certainly smoother and quieter than the 140. It will be interesting to see what difference the extra 30hp makes when I take it to Germany in June. The S-tronic feels just the same but the centre control lever is much nicer with it's leather surround and the paddles now operate in silence whereas the previous ones made a definite click when used to change gear. It was funny yesterday evening when I took it out to try the new Xenons. I drive in 'tip-tronic' mode most of the time but I found myself using the paddles more than the centre lever, whereas previously it was always the other way round. Not sure why. The Xenons are very good with a good range when on dip. Much better than the 50% extra bulbs in the previous A3 and I'm pleased to say very stable. I tried an A3 (8L) 1.8T Sport with Xenons just before Audi stopped making the 8L and they seemed to be very jittery. No so on the new one.

I also have auto-dimming and folding door mirrors. The previous one had auto-dimming and I only ordered and paid for auto-dimming but the new one has folding as well. Not sure why - did someone order wrongly or did the factory make the mistake. I've tried them a few times and both mirrors fold in and out OK and quite quickly as well.

Other than the points I have mentioned much is the same, as it should be going from one A3 to another but I'm sure my friends and my 88 year old mother will appreciate the extra doors.

All I've got to do now is to hard wire the cradle for my PDA and hard wire my Road Pilot Micro Go GPS camera locator before I start to go a little to quickly in the wrong place.

Full spec of the new Sportback is:

A3 Sportback 2.0TDI-170 SE S-tronic
SE trim including 7.5Jx 17 '16-spoke' alloys with 225/45 tyres, Auto-dimming rear view mirror, Cruise control, Electronic climate control, Front centre armrest, Interior light pack, Light and rain sensor pack, Storage pack
Metallic paint - Silver
Cloth interior - Light Grey
Walnut inlays
Xenon plus headlights
Symphony II+
Acoustic parking system
Auto-dimming and folding door mirrors
Driver Information System
Front fog lights
Flat tyre warning system
Electric driver's seat controls
Electric lumbar support
Luggage pack
Rear floor mats
Non-smoking pack

GAP Insurance for 3 years
Fixed-cost Service and Maintenance for 3 years

Pictures to follow when it stops raining and I get a chance to clean it!

Nice summary there Dave, glad you like it. Be interested to hear your thoughts on the engine once you've run it in a bit as, although mine pulls like a train, I'm less than impressed by the economy so far :(

I must say I test drove an A3 TDI 170 with DSG and was not impressed it did not seem to have 170bhp.

I drove my friends car to the dealer (Mark IV Golf TDI 130, standard) and it seemed to have a lot more pull... I only tested the 170 diesel to experiment the DSG and for me was disapointing as well, lack of "feeling", almost seamless gear changes, sterile gear changes...

Was expecting more from 170 but might have been the DSG box that spoilt it for me... I don't know...

How much mph are u getting Vertigo1?

Pedro

h5djr said:
GAP Insurance for 3 years
Fixed-cost Service and Maintenance for 3 years

Can you confirm what you were quoted for fixed servicing?
I was not aware this is available. Is the servicing variable or fixed on the diesels? I paid around £1300 for 5 1/2 years of servicing my current S3 which is not too shabby at all, so would be interested to see what is covered.

I am getting anxious in the final run up to my new S3 and keeping busy looking at GAP, insurance quotes (which is £100 cheaper then my current S3 - odd), reading the hot hatch reviews and looking at paint finishes/protection wax, etc

Did you have any additional paint protection applied by the dealer?

Cheers, Steve

Great stuff Dave, sound like you're chuffed to bits :icon_thumright: I hope she's as good as the last one was to you ;)

newbiecrg said:
I drove my friends car to the dealer (Mark IV Golf TDI 130, standard) and it seemed to have a lot more pull... I only tested the 170 diesel to experiment the DSG and for me was disapointing as well, lack of "feeling", almost seamless gear changes, sterile gear changes...
God knows what the problem with yours was as I find the 170 even faster than the extra 30bhp over my old 140 would suggest. We also have various Audis and Golfs at work with 130 and 105bhp engines and it's way way quicker than all of them.
How much mph are u getting Vertigo1?
Well I'm still averaging firmly in the mid-thirties but that's all urban driving. Still, it's a fair few mpg lower than I used to get in the 140. I tried a steady 60mph cruise in 6th on the M6 yesterday and was averaging around 50mpg whereas the 140 did 60mpg at that speed. Done 3000 miles so far, don't know if it'll get better or not but atm it's significantly worse than the old 140.

Can you confirm what you were quoted for fixed servicing?

I does depend on the model and the total miles. I opted for 30,000 miles over 3 years, which as I'm now retired and don't use the car to go to work any more should be enough.

For my new Sportback I am paying £27.45 per month to cover Service and Maintenance. I decided not to include tyres and I usually get a good deal from the local independent tyre depot I have been using for many years. Also they take very good care of my alloys when they fir new tyres.

I've just finished washing my car for the first time, which obviously gives a good chance to inspect all the paintwork. Pleased to say it's all 'perfect' apart from a slight scratch and a small piece of paint missing low down on the driver's door. I'm sure this was caused by a stone thrown up by a passing lorry the other day. It made a very loud bang against the side of the car.

No problems with any of the internal trim either.

I was a little worried that my new 16-spoke alloys were going to be a pain to clean but in fact there are no more trouble that my previous 7-spoke. The shaping of the spaces between the spokes on the new ones are much easier to wipe with a small sponge than the old ones.

This afternoon it will be waxing and then some photos - providing it dosn't rain!

wish i was outside washing my car :( such a nice day and im stuck in work!!

One of the advantages of being semi-retired and only working 2 days a week.

Pictures of my new Sportback now posted in the Sticky Post Pics thread.

Nice pictures, Dave. Did you order the three-spoke steering wheel, or is that standard on the SE now? Didn't see the wheel in your spec list above.

The three-spoke wheel is standard with the S-tronic gearbox rather than with the SE trim. I must say I didn't realise it was going to be 'perforated leather' but it does feel nice and I'm sure it will feel even better when the weather is hotter,

Very nice car Dave. Silver really suits the SB.

I also like the lighter interior. It's the one thing I wish I could change on my car, as the black can be very gloomy.