S4 - check your keys ;)

Headzup

Reaction score
Having had to go into my safe for the spare key to my wife’s car (also Audi so similar key), I grabbed my spare S4 key in error at first. On closer inspection it is probably the ‘main’ key as it a little nicer - see photo collage below of the two keys (front and rear). Prior to this I thought both were the same and had just been using the one the Dealer used.
So I’ve now switched to the ‘main’ key as identified by the arrow - just looks/feels nicer but I guess same functionality. :sunglasses:
C7F91BA9 869D 4498 91B1 7C3057913C14

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
It is nicer but I don’t use mine because I didn’t want to scratch up the piano black back... Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Headzup and Thundercliffe81
Having had to go into my safe for the spare key to my wife’s car (also Audi so similar key), I grabbed my spare S4 key in error at first. On closer inspection it is probably the ‘main’ key as it a little nicer - see photo collage below of the two keys (front and rear). Prior to this I thought both were the same and had just been using the one the Dealer used.
So I’ve now switched to the ‘main’ key as identified by the arrow - just looks/feels nicer but I guess same functionality. :sunglasses:
View attachment 146323

I've thought this for a while after seeing an S5 key like this on instagram. Check when I get home haha. The little things...

Reactions: Headzup
A pair of pleb keys for me :-(

IMG 2892 small

Same here

Is it an age thing (mine is an MY18)?
Or advanced key related (I didn't spec it)?
Mines a MY18 and have the nice piano black key (used as main) and the non shiny as a spare so don’t think it’s an age thing?

Mines a MY18 and have the nice piano black key (used as main) and the non shiny as a spare so don’t think it’s an age thing?
I do have advanced key though so maybe that?

It's advanced key. I have the same 2 different fobs for mine but without the "S" emblem.

EDIT - to be clear, mine are the same as the OP's photo's, no S.

Last edited:
I feel better now, I was beginning to think the dealer had pulled a stunt

Reactions: Keef, Thundercliffe81 and Spaceman_RS3
Didn't realise you B9 S4 guys only got the 'S' on your keys

Us B8.5 S4 owners get the full 'S4' :) :D

anAZEjU.jpg

Reactions: Keef and Thundercliffe81
View attachment 146323
Can you just swap with no issues ? I just realized I had this nice key as my spare ...

Which settings do they store ? Like seats etc... never really had a chance to check this all out .l.

Radio/audio settings and interior lighting settings, I picked the wrong key up the other week and wondered why I was listening to a random radio station and wondered why all the interior lighting was set to the brightest settings.

Last edited:
I need to check my spare key when I get home tonight but sure they were both the same..

Mileage?!

Climate settings and memory seats for sure, as cuke2u has said. Also DIS, presets, sound and car settings off the top of my head.
Yes mileage, most dealerships have a key fob reader and I am sure they can read mileage and other data. It isn't as unusual as you think, some fobs can record fault codes and what the car was doing when the code was generated.
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=10&t=1133010&i=20
Also https://www.werksdesign.de/product-design/audi-key-reader-transportation_en.html

Oh, I was thinking along the lines of things they change when you’re in the car so was very confused how it would change the mileage! Haha.

What you’ve said makes far more sense!

Reactions: cuke2u
What like this
edbc66445698eaa9931d6f377e7b15ff.gif

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes it is. I think maybe the earlier ones did, but I think it was dropped same as on the speedo dial.

Yes it is. I think maybe the earlier ones did, but I think it was dropped same as on the speedo dial.

I did not notice this. Gonna check auto trader now.

Orrrrrrrr yeah...2013 has it. 2014 doesn't. Tut.

Of course if anyone bothered to read the manual they would find it easy to find what information is stored on the fob:

"Data stored on remote control key Data related to the service and maintenance of the vehicle are stored continuously on your remote control key while you are driving. Your Audi dealer can read out the data and will then be able to tell you what service work is required. This also applies to vehicles with convenience key*. Personal convenience settings If two people use the same car regularly, it is a good idea for each person to have his or her "own" remote control key. When you switch off the ignition or lock the vehicle, your personal settings for the following convenience features are stored and assigned to the remote control key:
- Air conditioner
- Heating for steering wheel*
- Central locking system
- Background lighting*
- Exterior lighting
- Rain sensor
- Memory function*
- Parking aid*
- Adaptive cruise control*
- Active lane assist*
- Side assist*
- Traffic jam assist*