Windows steaming up

fergie 76

Reaction score
Hi there was wondering if anyone knows what causes the windows to steam up all the time in my 2014 audi a3 diesel been told it could be some seal somewhere so was hoping that maybe someone could point me in the right direction thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi there was wondering if anyone knows what causes the windows to steam up all the time in my 2014 audi a3 diesel been told it could be some seal somewhere so was hoping that maybe someone could point me in the right direction thanks in advance

The best cure for steaming-up windows is to run the air-conditioning all the time. This will take a lot of the moisture out of the air coming in to the car. The 'cost' of running it all the time only comes in to effect during warm/hot weather when the system engages the clutch of the condenser to produce cold air. The rest of the time it just acts as a pulley.

I'm on my 1oth A3 and have done this on all of them and never had any problems with steaming-up and it's very rare for example that I ever switch on my heated rear window or any of the controls to clear the front screen.

Reactions: Glasgoe Joe, davc and fergie 76
It can also be caused by wet carpet mats. Common issue in the winter months, cure is to avoid puddles before entering :sweatsmile:

Reactions: davc and fergie 76
The best cure for steaming-up windows is to run the air-conditioning all the time. This will take a lot of the moisture out of the air coming in to the car. The 'cost' of running it all the time only comes in to effect during warm/hot weather when the system engages the clutch of the condenser to produce cold air. The rest of the time it just acts as a pulley.

I'm on my 1oth A3 and have done this on all of them and never had any problems with steaming-up and it's very rare for example that I ever switch on my heated rear window or any of the controls to clear the front screen.
Thanks but I have ran it with the air con on and it clears most of the windows but the minute it is off they steam up really bad can be pretty dangerous at times. Was told that it could be a seal that is burst somewhere but have no idea what 1 or where

You may also have a tiny leak somewhere. Have you looked anywhere? Try under the mats, under the seats, boot, spare wheel.
Also, check all drainage points. If clogged up, it can result in leakage into the car.

Heard another stories that, moisture gathered by a/c can somehow get back into the cab through fan heater or somehow.

I get steamed up windows as soon as I het in the car as body temperature is higher than outside and inside the car.
I tend to switch the heating on after coolant temp reaches solid 90. If I do it before, coolant temp starts to drop and rise up again once/if driven longer/further distances without stop.
This happen only in winter tho, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: fergie 76
Our A3 is the same as was my Golf & her Polo...........it seems to be a VAG thing..........steam up when you first get in, my BMW & the lads Fiesta don't do it to anything like the same extent........

Reactions: RS3 S. and fergie 76
Try replacing the pollen filter. They are a common cause of the car steaming up.
JS

You may also have a tiny leak somewhere. Have you looked anywhere? Try under the mats, under the seats, boot, spare wheel.
Also, check all drainage points. If clogged up, it can result in leakage into the car.

Heard another stories that, moisture gathered by a/c can somehow get back into the cab through fan heater or somehow.

I get steamed up windows as soon as I het in the car as body temperature is higher than outside and inside the car.
I tend to switch the heating on after coolant temp reaches solid 90. If I do it before, coolant temp starts to drop and rise up again once/if driven longer/further distances without stop.

Thanks will give it a check when I get a minute thanks for your help it's appreciated it's doing my head in because it is so bad

Reactions: KrisKrk

Depends what you're doing in your A3 at the time they steam up!!! ;);)

Reactions: ACWKGYTO, davc, SamR92 and 1 other person
Can you get a hold of some large desiccant bags to absorb the moisture in the air? Run with them in random places for a few days/week.

Hot thing on the front passenger seat often causes this. Worth checking with Audi that you are turning it on properly.

Reactions: SamR92 and fergie 76
i too find this frustrating - both my Audis seem to suffer with this - I can return to the car and it is misty on some of the windows yet neighboring cars (non audi) do not suffer with this - almost feels like there is a seal/leak but unlikely on both cars! - seems to be a vag thing or we are not using air con enough (we don't use it regularly) - also when they mist up they seem to show sticker/sucker marks (and I have not been able to successfully clean/remove these marks) - irritating more than anything but would be great to solve!

Reactions: RS3 S. and fergie 76
Those having issues with it, what do you use to clean your windows on the inside with?

Can you get a hold of some large desiccant bags to absorb the moisture in the air? Run with them in random places for a few days/week.

You can use small cloth bags filled with car litter sand. This absorbs moisture well.

Other thing is Silica Gel. You can get them off eBay.

Hot thing on the front passenger seat often causes this. Worth checking with Audi that you are turning it on properly.

“Hot thing on the passenger seat” you mean woman, right

Reactions: ACWKGYTO and RGBARGEE
“Hot thing on the passenger seat” you mean woman, right

I thought he meant a takeaway, or the heated seats :readit:

Reactions: RGBARGEE, PhilsA3, KrisKrk and 1 other person
Does your rear screen wash/wipe work properly? The metal spray nozzle blocks easily, and trying to use the rear washer then puts extra pressure on the hose and it can split - leaking washer fluid into your headlining.

Reactions: KenL and fergie 76
Does your rear screen wash/wipe work properly? The metal spray nozzle blocks easily, and trying to use the rear washer then puts extra pressure on the hose and it can split - leaking washer fluid into your headlining.
No it does not work properly so I will have a look at that thanks

Not been watching Titanic when parked up have you mate?

Steamy Window

Reactions: fergie 76, richinsoton, KrisKrk and 1 other person

You are doing it wrong, CC is meant to be left on permanently and left at one setting. If you need extra demisting then press the max button...

My RS3 does it as did my last S3 & my MK5 & MK6 GTI. Does it worst this time of year, outside on the drive overnight, get in & front screen mist's up. Carpet is bone dry as genuine Audi rubber winter mats fitted.

You are doing it wrong, CC is meant to be left on permanently and left at one setting. If you need extra demisting then press the max button...
If I leave my CC on and on one setting (this time of the year and weather it would be 21 deg heating) at all the times, my cars coolant temp will not rise quick enough by the time I reach work/home, every day. Have a distance of nearly 8 miles. Usually switch the heating on after 4-5 miles when coolant temp reached solid 90deg. If done earlier during the drive, temp will start dropping. Don't want to run my daily trip on cold engine.

OP is also asking, what can cause the misting, if he's not in the car, if I understood correctly. It is always good to investigate in common known places causing these symptoms to exclude any faults.