Power Windows

Jchango

Reaction score
Anyone know any reason why my drivers side power window isn’t working only for putting the window down?

Working as power window up and passenger side works up and down..

Changed the fuse & done the hold for 10 seconds up and down job but still wont work as power assisted going down.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

I've had an issue where my rear/right window (Sportback) would not close going up and was getting stuck so losing it's auto setting. Turned out all I needed to do was spray the rubber channels the glass slides in with silicone grease and I've never had a problem since. Strange how yours is failing going down but might be worth trying silicone spray in the rubber channels the glass slides up/down in just in case it's sticking. I can understand it stopping going up as a safety feature but not going down. If it's a failing window motor they are cheapish but you need to make sure you buy the correct part number as they are handed and different fittings front to rear door. Might also be a door module issue which can be pricy and easy enough to swap but might require re-coding so you need a friendly person with VCDS.

Silly question... but if you can't get it to go down, how do you know it will come up? Do you mean it will power down if you hold the button down but not if you tap it down?

press the button and hold it down till window is all the way down, leave go and press it again down. then hold the button up until the window is fully closed, leave go and press up again

1 click down should work again

I've had an issue where my rear/right window (Sportback) would not close going up and was getting stuck so losing it's auto setting. Turned out all I needed to do was spray the rubber channels the glass slides in with silicone grease and I've never had a problem since. Strange how yours is failing going down but might be worth trying silicone spray in the rubber channels the glass slides up/down in just in case it's sticking. I can understand it stopping going up as a safety feature but not going down. If it's a failing window motor they are cheapish but you need to make sure you buy the correct part number as they are handed and different fittings front to rear door. Might also be a door module issue which can be pricy and easy enough to swap but might require re-coding so you need a friendly person with VCDS.
I appreciate your response! I’ll give the method you suggested a try!

Silly question... but if you can't get it to go down, how do you know it will come up? Do you mean it will power down if you hold the button down but not if you tap it down?
My apologies I wasn’t fully clear.

So yes if I hold the button down it drops the window no problem but it stops if I tap the button it doesn’t drop at all.. it doesn’t go slow or stutter when it goes down so I can assume the module should be ok but it comes up with a tap no problem

press the button and hold it down till window is all the way down, leave go and press it again down. then hold the button up until the window is fully closed, leave go and press up again

1 click down should work again
Thank you for your comment! I have tried this method more times that I can remember in the hope it was this quick fix but it doesn’t change it unfortunately.

strange thing is if I hold the unlock button on my key fob both windows go down fine as they should.

I’m leaning towards thinking it’s the button that is the issue.. Maybe the wiring