EGR Valve, Replace? Delete?

Jake12

Reaction score
So I lost power in my car and the coil warning light on the dash came on, took it to my local garage and he’s quoted me £600+ to replace the EGR valve, does that seem about right? I’ve looked into it and some people say to delete it, is that a good move? Or is it worth getting a second hand one?
Also I saw that someone had problems with their turbo after having EGR problems, is that common?

I don't think delete is an option anymore with the new MOT rules coming in May.

The egr delete is performed electronically in the map so the egr does not open , so nothing to see .

Even if you added a 1.5mm slip in blank , still nothing to see , so how would they tell ?

Egr is said to be a prerequisite of dpf regeneration , regulating both pressure and temperature .

I would check the price else where but in May the MOT requires you to have a functioning EGR & DPF. Also they are reducing smoke emissions to almost zero so they can tell that way. I'd get it fixed and be on the safe side.

I experienced all the same problems as you.I purchased a new egr valve along with all gaskets from TPS for around £240 and payed £50 to have it fitted. Had no issues since.

What engine is it? £600 isn't expensive, its criminal!!

I got my EGR valve off ebay brand new for £30, although on some engines they're easier to replace than others, mine is right at the front

What engine is it? £600 isn't expensive, its criminal!!

I got my EGR valve off ebay brand new for £30, although on some engines they're easier to replace than others, mine is right at the front
2.0 TDI, mate
I did think about looking on eBay but don’t really know what I’m after

I believe they switched the position of the EGR. On earlier CR engines they were on the front and then around 2011/12? they transferred them to the rear to make like more difficult.

I'm actually having mine replaced tomorrow and the Egr cost me £96 brand new delivered not genuine tho and another 100 to have it fitted heared it's a 6hour job tuck right behind the engine dpf has to come out

I believe they switched the position of the EGR. On earlier CR engines they were on the front and then around 2011/12? they transferred them to the rear to make like more difficult.
it’s a 61 plate (2011) so might be me. Heard it is quite a tricky job but still looks like £600 is too expensive

I think it's shocking, get a few other garage quotes.

If you can find out the EGR part number and get the part yourself cheap enough, you could save a huge amount

That is providing the EGR is the problem, get someone local who can read the fault codes for free