Silver is the new Black...well on my old bus.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Another crappy winter day is upon us but there was a somewhat nice end to the day , not wether wise , but some more goodies arrived for the old bus.....
I'm having a complete change in direction colour wise now which includes the front grill.
Postman pat knocked on my door with a nice big box , and its my new grille , now its off with the black surround rs4 grille and back on with a new rs4 in nice matt silver...
also removing the gloss black rings on the tailgate and going back to chrome . While i'm at it chopping the foglamp surrounds to replace with some RS4 mesh items.
So it's not been a completely gloom & doom day.

IMG 0829
Rs4sil
IMG 0830

Reactions: THQuattro, Rob Avant, Sandra and 1 other person
Another crappy winter day is upon us but there was a somewhat nice end to the day , not wether wise , but some more goodies arrived for the old bus.....
I'm having a complete change in direction colour wise now which includes the front grill.
Postman pat knocked on my door with a nice big box , and its my new grille , now its off with the black surround rs4 grille and back on with a new rs4 in nice matt silver...
also removing the gloss black rings on the tailgate and going back to chrome . While i'm at it chopping the foglamp surrounds to replace with some RS4 mesh items.
So it's not been a completely gloom & doom day.

View attachment 148541 View attachment 148542 View attachment 148543
Rob, if it was postman pat, it was an imposter as he died not so long ago .... on a serious note, what are you doing with the black grille...?

Si

Nice! Does that grill fit the s-line bumper?
what the main grille or fogs.

main grille is OEM RS4 and fits B7 S-line bumpers only which includes S4 B7 as it has the s-line bumper too, also B7 cabs but they have to have the S-line bumper, a lot of cab with the s-line option fitted from the factory only have the SE bumper .
fogs are RS4 and only fit RS4 , but you can cut the mesh out and use it for a perfect match to the grille.

Reactions: Sandra
Rob, if it was postman pat, it was an imposter as he died not so long ago .... on a serious note, what are you doing with the black grille...?

Si

Well it wasn't actually the postman, it was parcel force but his name is Pat...lol
I had my RS4 grille with the black surround for sale in the forum classifieds over the weekend for £295 , sold it 30 mins after putting the price on the listing, bargain at the price too.

Reactions: THQuattro and Sandra
If you don’t mind me asking, how much did you pay for the main grill? And where did you get it from?

I can find ones to fit non s-line bumpers but not one to fit mine. Apart from OEM RS4 which are mega bucks! I know you can do the mod yourself but I’m struggling to find the time to do anything to my car at the mo

The Rs4 grille I have fitted at the moment which has a gloss black surround cost me £300 about 18 months ago , and it was new and boxed.
The One I have just bought with the satin silver surround cost me a bit more as I wanted the two RS4 foglamp surrounds aswell , so less the foglamp covers then the grille worked out at £300 aswell, also new.
So in real terms it all evens itself really and its cost me nothing and i'm very happy.

The reason you wont find anything else to fit s-line bumpers is because there is very little if anything out there, plenty for the Non s-line variant bumpers.
The Rs4 grills are mad money new from audi, I haven't priced one recently but expect them to be around the £600 mark and beyond.
very few come up on the used market in new condition , used come up now an then and not allways in brilliant condition.
I listed mine on this forum classified's for £295 , which was a good price hence why it sold quickly , I could have asked more as it is VGC but i'm not in the market to make money out of bits, just wanted to recoupe my original outlay which I have.

Doing a DIY grille project will be less outlay but unless you have the time to do it , well that's what its all about , do you have time to spare to make one , if not then your options are very limited indeed.

I wanted to go back to a satin silver version but didn't really want to mess around with it and probably with a less than ideal end product, this came up so jumped at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: THQuattro and Sandra
Very nice. The satin silver surround looks the best. Honestly not biased at all :whistle2:

Well that answers that question, These look good against the black. I was thinking of going this route myself as I have got an S4 rear valance for mine because I'm going to fit quad tailpipes and it comes finished in the same satin grey as the grille you have but since my car is a black edition I wanted to keep that look so when a very reasonably priced black RS4 grille turned up I had to have it.

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
Interested to see how the fogs turn out... most people just mesh the s-line items but fair play if you can make a half decent job of cutting out RS4 one's.

A few hours in the garage this afternoon and mission completed.
Fitted a new pair of height adjusters ,not the whole assembly as you don't need to swap complete unit, just the screw sections so getting the shut lines around the bonnet are nice and straight forward, its never looked so good..
Black is a nice colour for the surround but for me the matt silver on black works really nicely, would never go back to the chrome though....
off for a big cuppa now and a choccy biscuit....

hot tip for anyone doing a grille swap, if you have headlamp wash, do not disturb it or you'll have problems.
I can do a grille swap by just moving the bumper away from the chassis, and still have enough room to work in without disturbing pipes and other old and breakable bits....been there before ....lol

IMG 0841
IMG 0840
IMG 0842
IMG 0845

Reactions: Audi-Rog, martin1984 and B-J-P