New A3 ordered : Paint and Wheel protection question.

MooTiger

Reaction score
So just ordered an A3 1.5 TFSi Black Ed. ETA May..

Wondered if anyone has experience of using Audi's Paint and Wheel protection packages ?
Are they worth it to fix up small dinks and curbed alloys if god forbid i catch one.

Ta.

Personally, if you are inclined to take such insurance(s), I would look at a third party supplier such as https://www.ala.co.uk/
Excellent GAP policy, and they have a fair few other 'related' insurances....

I accepted the Audi 3 year alloy wheel cover, as my dealer offered free with my Q5 purchase. If you do shop around for cover, make sure it includes diamond cut wheels, as some policies do not.

Call me a cynic, but I never take up dealers on any of their options. GAP insurance, wheel insurance, Paint/Upholstery protection etc, are all just ways for dealers to make more commission from you. Every single one of them is available elsewhere at better prices if you really want or need them, but I tend not to bother anyway.

Reactions: Reggieboy71, S32B and Matt Titanium
So just ordered an A3 1.5 TFSi Black Ed. ETA May..

Wondered if anyone has experience of using Audi's Paint and Wheel protection packages ?
Are they worth it to fix up small dinks and curbed alloys if god forbid i catch one.

Ta.
Are you talking about the insurance side if you damage the paint, or are you talking about the paint protection as in the wax they put on???

I always say no to all of them anyway :) As others have said you can get them cheaper, think the GAP with Audi is double what you can get it for!!! I din't let them even wash the latest car, let alone wax it, I just asked them to remove the protective wrap from when it leaves the factory.

Reactions: GeoffT
Yeh it was the insruance for paint and wheel damage, get any knocks / dints repaired before trade in so they dont have as much room to knock you down at trade in.

but as you say its more a commission thing, will have a think about its value for me. (ALA insurance was actually higher than Audi by 300quid).

I'm sure when I checked the details of the wheel insurance they offered me there was still an excess to pay per repair anyway. So I figured I'd take my chances, and if a wheel ever needed repairing I'd at least have the choice of where to take it.

Painted alloys are easy to get repaired and usually it doesn't cost that much. Diamond cut alloys are a different story. The lathes required are very expensive and so far fewer firms can repair them. It can cost £100 or more to repair a diamond cut alloy. If they throw in the insurance for nothing you might as well take it but otherwise shop around. Be aware that these insurance products can usually only be taken out within 30 days of purchasing the car and some do not cover diamond cut alloys. I have kerbed (minor damage) an alloy twice on the current car. Both times the same wheel (rear nearside). I didn't have alloy wheel insurance. Slightly off topic but if you ever really mess up a wheel don't despair. Reconditioned alloys are available that are much cheaper than new. There are some good German suppliers. I have 2 sets of alloys, a Winter and a Summer set with Winter and Summer tyres.