B6 Headlight Adjustment from scratch. An answer at last!!

Final 3Green Land

Reaction score
Hi,

Having read so many posts on the forums about adjusting the headlight beams on my Avant 1.9Tdi TQS, I thought I would post what I have found relating to MY vehicle.

The Headlights have two adjusters which are white hex keys. They both work in conjunction with each other.

I have read that one adjusts up/down and the other left/right, but this is not the case.

Together, they both operate the up/down and the left right but in conjunction with each other; you cannot turn one and get just left/right adjustment nor the height with the other.

When you move them up or down they move the lenses in a diagonal type move at the same time, bringing the beam left and right depending on how much you wind them up/down.

To set them correctly, I turned the intereor adjustment to '0' and then I parked against a wall, about 6 feet distance. I then would the keys down as far as they would go. They would go so far then come against a stop and jump downwards. I then adjusted the other hex key until the same thing happened. This occurred about three times until there was no more movement.

I repeated the same with the opposite light until the were both pointing towards the floor.

I then turned the first hex the other way, to raise the lights until there was a jump upwards; then turned the other hex the same way until there was also a jump, then repeated the same until the unit had jumped upwards twice on both hex keys.

I repeated this for the opposite headlight.

Looking at the wall, they were both roughly the same height, but with the left side of the car slightly higher than the right.

I then went out at night and found Immediately that the lights were set low, but only slightly. I found a dark lane with no traffic, parked, opened the bonnet and then placed a jacket over the right hand hedlight to block the light.

Looking at the left beam only, I adjusted the hexes upwards until the desired height was achieved. I then swapped the jacket to the other light, and worked on the right headlight, adjusting both hexes again until the desired height was achieved.

I removed the jacket and lowered the bonnet and sat in the car and inspected the light display. It was perfect. I then switched to main beam and found that both beams were perfectly aligned with the left beam showing slightly more to the left to illuminate the kerbside but way up the road, approx 130 metres and the right main beam was straight down the road but gave a range slightly greater at approx 150 metres.

I then closed the bonnet and went for a drive and found that the beam was perfectly adjusted giving a great range but not causing dazzle.

I then went and located a nice M&S and purchased a nicely chilled bottle of Chablis to drink at home, to celebrate that I had at last, managed to get both headlights pointing down the road at the right height without dazzling anyone.

If the Dipped beams are adjusted in this way, the mains will be set accurately at the same time. Trying to bring the right main beam light down from right across the road in the trees on its own, WITHOUT adjusting both hexes at the same time, just wont work. The same as the left etc... Both hexes have to be adjusted at the same time to get the desired result.

Hope this helps you guys who like me was getting pizzed off about the beams being all over the place, and despite several adjustments, not getting the beam pattern required.

Now, where did I put that corkscrew......

As an after note, the car has just passed the MOT with the beams in the acceptable range, PRIOR to my adjustment, so relying on the garages equipment, is not always the way to go.

Reactions: Roland Wong and QuattroCalum
Well done, I’ll give this a go on mine. When I put the high beam on the drivers side is high and slightly to the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If thats the case, try bringing the right dipped light down by moving both hexes at the same time. If its only the one headlight thats only slightly out of adjustment , this will probably bring it back in line, THEN look at the main beam... Trying to do it the other way round placed the dipped beam all over the place as it is a projector light, as yours will be where the main is not.

If not, its a little time consuming but within about 30 minutes, all was well with my car and that was with headlights having a tracking problem like Marty Feldmans eyes...

GettyImages 3309438 1

Mine had a cam belt change and the garage had managed to hash the beams completely when they put the front end back on.

He needs a good thump on the back of the head with a hammer to sort them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk