Fly wheel damage

Starry

S3 8V saloon... APR Stage 2....(-:
Reaction score
What causes damage to the fly wheel? Will it only occur if the clutch is slipping? I ask because mine has done 44k and is working fine with no slipping and I’m about to go stage 1 and would rather update the clutch before wrecking the fly wheel. Either that or should I just use it until it slips and then uprate it?

Usually it's heat caused by friction when the clutch slips. The flywheel can go blue in places which means it's irrgularly heat treated and the metal hardened in places, which can potentially cause an imbalance and judder in first and reverse under load. also it can crack or become rough and would need to be skimmed, but I'm not sure you can do that with the dual mass flywheel in the S3.
If the clutch hasn't been slipping yet, I'd assume the flywheel isn't damaged and reuse it when uprating the clutch. From my own experience, if there is any irregularity when examined, it should be replaced but there shouldn't be if the clutch was fine.

With the miles on mine now then it might be wise to upgrade before it starts slipping. Any idea on fittong costs?

£300/400 max

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Starry
i have just booked mine in with darkside developments for the sachs organic clutch kit & fitted £900, this is with out the DMF being replaced as i only have 10k on the clock, i have had bit of slip here an there but should still be ok. will get them inspect it anyway.

Are all the Sachs organic clutches the same?
What’s the 'Sintered' Paddle?

Are all the Sachs organic clutches the same?
What’s the 'Sintered' Paddle?
the sintered if much higher rated but i heard its a bitch to live with if you like your daily driving, its like a switch either on or off.
the organic is ment to be close to oem feel, i was toying with with a spec3+ clutch american made i think and can be used with oem DMF close to oem feel and can handle alot more than the sachs organic, only downside was cost an import duties etc.

i decided on sachs as am not gona do to crazy on upgrades after i have done me clutch, intercooler and downpipe.

Organic rated to 400 torque

The Sach's organic has a heavier action than the standard clutch, which made changing gear better/faster in mine - a nice bonus...

Reactions: lucaslfc
The Sach's organic has a heavier action than the standard clutch, which made changing gear better/faster in mine - a nice bonus...
how did you go about wearing it in mate once fitted ?

So the Sachs organic looks like the clutch for me and that will be good for stage 1, and if i decied to, stage 2 as well.

Reactions: Jai
how did you go about wearing it in mate once fitted ?

I just avoided launches and pulling away in high gears for a week or so, but to be honest I don't think performance clutches really need bedding in much. I had a Focus RS one in my old ST and that was fine right from the off.

410 ithink, seen someone run it at 440 and it lasted a long time like

Actually I seen 408 but aired on caution and would rather quote 400.

Had the car staged 2 (high torque file) yesterday when weather passes will get it on the Rollers and see how close we get. I’m guessing good results would be 400bhp and 370/380 torque

Actually I seen 408 but aired on caution and would rather quote 400.

Had the car staged 2 (high torque file) yesterday when weather passes will get it on the Rollers and see how close we get. I’m guessing good results would be 400bhp and 370/380 torque

should do mate, mine went 395 without the intercooler or exhaust. did you not consider a custom map rather than the revo?

395 on std clutch?
No mate I didn’t, had no intentions of doing anything to the car until Black Friday sale I seen from Revo they were local and went for that. If knew what I know now I would have opted for custom but tbh I doubt I will get much difference and tbh I really like the car after stage 1 the torque is like a switch on and off.. love it so not disappointed

395 on std clutch?
No mate I didn’t, had no intentions of doing anything to the car until Black Friday sale I seen from Revo they were local and went for that. If knew what I know now I would have opted for custom but tbh I doubt I will get much difference and tbh I really like the car after stage 1 the torque is like a switch on and off.. love it so not disappointed

Yea mate lol, granted i went back and got them dial it back to 385bhp an 350 torque for now. as it did start to slip week later. now theres no slip as long as the car is warmed up an drivin for say 20-30min before bootin it. getting the sach clutch in 3weeks time though so will nip back the tuners & get them upload the faster map back on.
how you find that sach clutch once you got it installed? did you worry about wearing it in at all?

Well my clutch went very next day.
The clutch takes a bit of getting used to and the norm is for it to smell of burning as I have seen it mentioned on another forum..
I just took it easy for a good few hundred miles..

Also note the garage used their gearbox oil after changing clutch and car didn’t like it used Audi’s own and worked a treat

Also note the garage used their gearbox oil after changing clutch and car didn’t like it used Audi’s own and worked a treat

does it feel any closer to oem now? how many miles you done on it since fitted?
cool mate will mention that to them, you no what oil that is by any chance? sorry for questions just thinkin ahead

I have got used to it, it does not like reversing on any gradient, in fact I won’t even attempt it now as I know the clutch will burn I just can do it...
The clutch when I first had it is just stiffer but it’s not that bad my missis drives the car as a daily and she don’t complain just a little at the start about her leg hurting and infact could pull off with the clutch better than myself.
The oil I can’t remember but I rang Audi and there were two specific to my car and it depended upon the gearbox fitted. Cost is a tad over £100

I have got used to it, it does not like reversing on any gradient, in fact I won’t even attempt it now as I know the clutch will burn I just can do it...
The clutch when I first had it is just stiffer but it’s not that bad my missis drives the car as a daily and she don’t complain just a little at the start about her leg hurting and infact could pull off with the clutch better than myself.
The oil I can’t remember but I rang Audi and there were two specific to my car and it depended upon the gearbox fitted. Cost is a tad over £100

noted no reversing up a hill lol, bit daft though you think with a performance clutch you think there would'nt be an issue there. sounds like it loosens up after little while then. cool mate will give audi call then before get it done see what oil it is. cheers

noted no reversing up a hill lol, bit daft though you think with a performance clutch you think there would'nt be an issue there. sounds like it loosens up after little while then. cool mate will give audi call then before get it done see what oil it is. cheers

I think the problem arises with reverse gear is it’s a longer gear in feel and I can’t get the bite point and acceleration together. Also gear changes are fierce with this clutch.

I think the problem arises with reverse gear is it’s a longer gear in feel and I can’t get the bite point and acceleration together. Also gear changes are fierce with this clutch.

fierce gear changes lol sounds decent haha. just out curiosity mate what miles were on ya car when your clutch went nxt day roughly?

It’s nothing to do with miles in my opinion it’s the clutch is chocolate and won’t handle the torque.. 5th gear it will usually slip as most torque there I heard. Mine completely went on a power run up a hill going from 2nd / 3rd