Central Locking - One Side Not Working

davewalby

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got an issue with the central locking on my A3 8P 2007 Sportback.

On the passenger side the doors almost never lock with either the fob or the key in the driver's door. I say almost never because VERY occasionally, say 1 in 25 times they will actually lock.

I replaced the lock in the passenger door thinking this would solve it, but no luck.

Then I checked the wiring loom between the passenger door and A-pillar and the connectors themselves for missing pins, no problems there.

So now I'm thinking it could be the CCM from what I have read on here. Anyone know where this is on my car? I had a look in the side panels in the boot but couldn't see it there...just the parking sensor module.

Any other ideas/suggestions very welcome!

I do not have VagCom unfortunately to read any codes.

Thanks!

I will suggest to go to any mechanic or check on map for someone near you (vcds map on top) with vcds. Then you said you checked for pins missing, but what about actual loom between door and a-pillar connector? You can always check for continuity of wires using multi-meter.

Thanks for the reply Marek, Yes I did also check the loom and it was fine.
I have noticed that actually the drivers side rear door is also intermittent, so I am heavily suspecting the Convenience Control Module. Having looked at the Haynes manual it seems the CCM is in the right hand boot behind the side panel, but behind the plastic part which I didn't remove, d'oh! Will have another look, hopefully it is obviously damaged!

Ok so I had the CCM out and it looks absolutely fine, so going to get a VCDS scan and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

the problem with electrics is that it looks fine outside but there might be circuit problem e.g. dry solder (ask beemer e39 oem sound amplifier owners about it ;) )

Yes, I agree that electrical problems can be very difficult to track down...thankfully I have solved the problem now!

I looked at the passenger side door wiring loom where the door hinges and that was fine, but I did not think to check the drivers side loom...sure enough the large brown wire and a smaller wire both had a split/crack in the insulation and were letting in water. As A quick fix I cut out the bad sections of wire and have used a terminal block to connect the ends, this has enabled the central locking to work.

Long term I will be buying a new loom, which I got quoted for from Audi at £134 inc VAT.

Thanks for the replies!...next problem is white smoke coming out of the engine when I take off the oil cap and a tiny bit from the exhaust, also tiny bubbles in the coolant tank when you give it some revs...so looks like either EGR or Oil Cooler are gone or the dreaded porous Cylinder Head :(

Check on ebay for used door loom. smoke from oil cap is normal (depending of amount). From exhaust, mean you got water/coolant going into combustion, bubbles confirming that, so probably head gasket gone.

Yeah I'll have a look on eBay for a used one, for the moment it's working with my shoddy fix.

Yep, looks like either Head Gasket or Cylinder Head gone... apparently the heads crack between cylinders on the 2.0 TDI engines. So looking for a replacement at the moment. Had the oil cooler and egr cooler off and pressure tested them...found no leaks. So must be head or gasket.

poor heads are know on bkd specially rev A, other engines are ok.

Yeah I have a BKD :(

Rev C - but heard of other C's going so pretty sure it must be that.

C should be more than fine. A is fcked up b is better c should be ok as well and you can get the D from passat