Facelift What do people think?

bond1313

Reaction score
I'm interested in peoples thoughts on this I drove to a local supermarket a few mins away, got back to my house after spending about 10 mins getting some bits. When I got back to my house could smell petrol looked under the car and had a leak.
Audi reckon 'someone has caused the scratches trying to gain purchase before puncturing the tank itself with a sharp implement' but I cannot see how that happened in the time I was in the supermarket.
IMG 3703

IMG 3701

IMG 3704

I can't believe anyone would do that to nick fuel - it would take an age to drain out of that! It does look like someone has had a go at it though as you have the 2 marks next to the hole which look like an attack.

Audi assist guy used some soap to rub into it to stop the leak and wondered if that may have caused the scratches but the plastic is to hard. I agree I cannot see what they thinking unless it was just vandalism or an irate driver I may have passed :racer:

Possible drill with the scratching being the drill bit sliding around before stopping to puncture the tank. You couldn't puncture one of these tanks by just jabbing it by hand with a screwdriver. Very odd form of vandalism as the person would have had to lie on the ground getting dirty and wet - vandalism is much easier with just scratching the paint with a key or jabbing the tyre with a Stanley knife. You have my sympathy :confusion:

Good point I didn’t think about a possible drill being used with the ground clearance not being that much and thanks dread to think how much it’s going to cost and guess that’s my unblemished insurance history stuffed :blush:

Looks like there was an “alien” in the tank that has burst out, is that a piece sticking out?

Or like Concord you were unlucky to have something flick up and stabb it!

Reactions: Terminator x
Looks like there was an “alien” in the tank that has burst out, is that a piece sticking out?

You think I could try that to get it done under warranty ... Audi left an alien in the tank.

Reactions: AudiNutta

O forgot to say it is a piece sticking out.

Just a random thought / possibility ...

Could the car have been driven over something low lying which could have scawed the marks & ultimately punctured the tank ?

Just a random thought / possibility ...

Could the car have been driven over something low lying which could have scawed the marks & ultimately punctured the tank ?
I did think that may be possible when it happened but I never heard anything, then when they sent the pics the marks run from left to right not front to back so didn’t seem to stack up with driving over something.

I did think that may be possible when it happened but I never heard anything, then when they sent the pics the marks run from left to right not front to back so didn’t seem to stack up with driving over something.

Hmm yeah just a random thought.

So bizarre isn’t it ???

Hmm yeah just a random thought.

So bizarre isn’t it ???
Thanks for the idea it’s why I posted to try and get clear in my mind what happened and if there was anything I hadn’t considered. It is bizarre I just cannot see someone doing anything to the tank on a supermarket carpark and don’t think I’ve ran over anything. The piece by the hole almost looked like there was a pimple there that broke off.

Hear what you say, but surely has to be something you went over got flicked up at speed . Can’t be vandalism that would be very odd. Ha gotta luv a mystery . But thinking about it must have been a hell of an impact to puncture it so maybe that’s nonsense . Manufacturing fault , as you say , moulding broke off? Maybe that’s more plausible.

Hear what you say, but surely has to be something you went over got flicked up at speed . Can’t be vandalism that would be very odd. Ha gotta luv a mystery . But thinking about it must have been a hell of an impact to puncture it so maybe that’s nonsense . Manufacturing fault , as you say , moulding broke off? Maybe that’s more plausible.
I do love a good mystery as well, thanks for the comments.

If it was an impact issue you wouldn't have the tank liner going outwards - it would be a dent with a hole. I think that the only possible answers are either scum or Aliens.

Has. It been punctured from the top, hence why you have the liner moving out on the exit ? . Clearly that would really add to the mystery !,,

Aliens - the only possible explanation. See what the insurance company make of that one.

If it was an impact issue you wouldn't have the tank liner going outwards - it would be a dent with a hole. I think that the only possible answers are either scum or Aliens.

I vaguely remember from crash investigations that a heavy impact from the outside can cause the liquid inside a fuel tank to move in such a fashion that it cause an explosion due to the pressure from within the tank.

It could be something like that given that it looks to have exploded from the inside yet has still sustained some sort of impact from the outside with the scratches.

All very very rare and you have been incredibly unlucky, but it is feasible.

I vaguely remember from crash investigations that a heavy impact from the outside can cause the liquid inside a fuel tank to move in such a fashion that it cause an explosion due to the pressure from within the tank.

It could be something like that given that it looks to have exploded from the inside yet has still sustained some sort of impact from the outside with the scratches.

Poor Concorde :(

One thing is certain it wasn’t a lucky day for me and Audi quote for work is just short of £1400 :scared2:

That’s an odd one. First thing that came to mind was a small drill bit, the raised part being a rough edge from the drill when it was reversed?

Really odd that, doesn’t look like something that’s happened on the road.. I wouldn’t say you’d have necessarily heard it. This will bug me all day now haha....

Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Aliens...........QED.

Reactions: bond1313
One thing is certain it wasn’t a lucky day for me and Audi quote for work is just short of £1400 :scared2:

If it was mine - I’d suggest having Audi open up the old fuel tank once it has been removed. (Or it being retained so that it can be opened by you). That way it can be examined from the inside and the hole properly examined. So was it a drill or a punch?

Remember that the tank will have to be properly washed out (to remove all traces of fuel) if you plan to open it.

If it was mine - I’d suggest having Audi open up the old fuel tank once it has been removed. (Or it being retained so that it can be opened by you). That way it can be examined from the inside and the hole properly examined. So was it a drill or a punch?

Remember that the tank will have to be properly washed out (to remove all traces of fuel) if you plan to open it.
I was thinking of getting the tank back so I could do a bit more checking as you suggest as it’s still a bit baffling how and why someone would do it and in such a short space of time, unless it was done previously and hadn’t quite broken through.

That’s an odd one. First thing that came to mind was a small drill bit, the raised part being a rough edge from the drill when it was reversed?

Really odd that, doesn’t look like something that’s happened on the road.. I wouldn’t say you’d have necessarily heard it. This will bug me all day now haha....
It’s being bugging me since it happened, I logged it with the police and first thing they said was have I made an enemy recently :friends:.... that got me thinking even more.

It’s being bugging me since it happened, I logged it with the police and first thing they said was have I made an enemy recently :friends:.... that got me thinking even more.

Don’t overthink it . Would have been much easier to have keyed every panel in the time it would take to do that .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@bond1313 was there any update on this? Chatting to some people about this and we reckon it is vandalism. Odd of something bouncing up off the road and causing scratches before it piercing the tank are nil. Looks like a screwdriver hammered in, hence the scratches trying to get the purchase.

@bond1313 was there any update on this? Chatting to some people about this and we reckon it is vandalism. Odd of something bouncing up off the road and causing scratches before it piercing the tank are nil. Looks like a screwdriver hammered in, hence the scratches trying to get the purchase.
Claiming on my insurance, vandalism, I still don’t see how it was done in the short time it took me to get a bottle of wine though. Someone had to decide to do it, grab the tools and then do it all in less than 10 mins, what are the odds on that! However I can not offer an alternative explanation so have to accept that wasn’t a lucky day for me :blownose:

Claiming on my insurance, vandalism, I still don’t see how it was done in the short time it took me to get a bottle of wine though. Someone had to decide to do it, grab the tools and then do it all in less than 10 mins, what are the odds on that! However I can not offer an alternative explanation so have to accept that wasn’t a lucky day for me :blownose:
Sounds like terrible luck. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.