Brake caliper bolt rounded

John417

Cactus Green A4 B5 TQS
Reaction score
Hi guys after a couple of months away i finally got my hands dirty and started working on my tqs again , today i wanted to change the front brake discs and pads the passenger side went fine but the driver side got me stuck you know the two caliper bolts you need T45 for them right well one came out fine but the other one is rounded inside so basically a T45 is spinning in it and a T50 was too big so i tried to force it in but its still spinning i tried many different sizes but in the end i had a look and i could see the whole is basically round and it started raining like crazy so i had to leave it like that for now , im thinking how am i gonna get that bolt out im not sure i can drill it out i mean wont i damage the thread inside the caliper ? What is the best way to get that bolt out ? Cheers

Attachments

• s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 596
Im not sure if someone changed them in the past but the ones on are T45 atleast the 3 i took out were i tried all sizes of allan , torx etc on the one i had out already so i could see how it fits and the ones that were a good match i tried on the one still inside but nothing worked then i had a look behind with a light and i could see it had no edges at all just a round hole basically.

I thought that they were 7 or 8mm Allen, too.

You will need a bolt/nut extractor set. Irwin do an excellent set. Well worth the money.

They are 100% a 7mm allen key. Its not a common size and you'll have to buy some special.

Just unbolt the carrier from the car, you'll need it off anyway, and then you can get decent access to see whats going on with the sliders.

Are you going for the 312mm upgrade mate or just keeping stock for now ?

Thanks for the help guys , i ended up getting the bolt out with the t50 and replaced the disc and pads but i had to reuse that bolt for now i drilled a line on the head so i can get it out again with a flat head screwdriver but obviously its just a temporary solution i want to replaced all these bolts but not sure where i can get there from any suggestions ? Im not sure if these are 7mm allen propably they are but i could get the other 3 out with a t45 without a problem i think the last one was messed up already and i propably finished it off while trying to get the t45 to grip. And i used the standard 288 discs for now Andy as i just needed to replace them as soon as possible cause i was getting vibration in the steering when braking but the 312mm upgrade is still on the to do list in future.

OK cool the 312mm brake upgrade is a good upgrade really want to get stuck in on my b5 but the ****** weather is doing my nut in

Reactions: Samuel c5 Q
Tell me about it i had to be out to finish the brakes for about 30 minutes and you'd say that i was swimming how soaking wet i was.

12mm socket smacked on over the slide pin can get them out if the centre is rounded. A spline or over torx socket can do the same job. If it starts to slip then pull slightly sideways whilst trying to undo it to get the socket to bite. Apply the torque slowly. This technique requires the rubber sleeve that the pin sits in to be cut back meaning it would need replacing also. I had all four on a 99 Ibiza that somebody had kindly rounded out for me.

I did have to cut the rubber sleeve but didnt know that needs to be there too where do i get these from and the bolts aswell as i just want to put new ones in really.

I found the kit (bolts and rubber ) on ebay but i was wondering if i could get them from a shop maybe screw fix or i dont know but did anyone buy them from a shop or do i have to order them online and wait ?

Or tps, like s4 dan said I got mine from dealer for mk1 Leon I had at one stage. They aren't the cheapest.

Howmuch are we talking Samuel ? I'll call Audi after the bank holiday im thinking it should cost around £15 both sides complete set ?

That was a while ago. £60 may have covered the pins and the rubber guides they run in but don't quote me, it could be more from the dealer maybe £75. Try tps.

Wow £60 for pins and rubber ? I found a set for £6 on ebay seems to be good based on reviews i guess ill just order that one. I tried tps but could not find it there.