Retrofit the instrument cluster with LCD?

Adomas G

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hello all,

I currently drive a 2006 A3 SE that has a base-model instrument cluster with idiot lights in place of an LCD display in the middle. (same as the one below, except mine has done a little over 402 miles :grin:)
Audi_A3_instruments.JPG

This means no trip computer, no MPG, no anything. A used cluster, like one below:
A3_2004_Highline.jpg

costs about £25-£30 used, plus a fiver for a wiper stalk with buttons.
Has anyone ever retrofitted these? Is it just a matter of swapping the new for old or is there coding involved? I have VCDS so I'd be comfortable enough but just want to check they're compatible in the first place!

Cheers
Adam

Allot more needed, immo coding to ECU & keys plus mileage corrected, needs to be specific cluster to match your engine type as in 6-8k rpm & mph max.

Allot more needed, immo coding to ECU & keys plus mileage corrected, needs to be specific cluster to match your engine type as in 6-8k rpm & mph max.

Thanks for swift reply.
I found one that is off a BKD 2.0TDi, same as mine and is selling cheap due to being around 195k mileage (mine is 202k).
Is coding to ecu & keys doable via vag-com or is it a dealer-only job? Thanks

Thanks for swift reply.
I found one that is off a BKD 2.0TDi, same as mine and is selling cheap due to being around 195k mileage (mine is 202k).
Is coding to ecu & keys doable via vag-com or is it a dealer-only job? Thanks

I reckon it’s a dealer job, otherwise you could easily clock cars by changing the speedo to earlier model

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Later model you know what I mean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ah right, I’m out of luck I reckon then :(
And definitely no way to swap the middle bit out for an lcd I suppose?
I know A3 is as entry-level as it gets but it’s sad to see a seemingly luxury car brand ship their cars without trip computer when virtually every Peugeot had this option since late 90s