SatNav MMI SD Card

tyr92

Reaction score
Hey all,

Recently acquired an A3 2013 - it has SatNav enabled, however it was sold to me without the SD Card, so when I choose SatNav, it says "Please enter media device".

Am I okay to just purchase an SD card from eBay with the maps? I called Audi and they said it would be £195 for a new SD Card and activation - not sure if the activation is required if I get the media as it's already been activated before.

My MMI version number is MSTD_EU_AU_P2440 - not too sure which SD card I would need.

Also, I'm missing the parcel shelf - any recommended places to buy one from in the UK?

Cheers,

Not sure, but I don’t think it will work. I think the sd card needs to be activated by Audi.
This is only from memory of reading on here.

Maybe do a search and you will find out more.

Hey all,

Recently acquired an A3 2013 - it has SatNav enabled, however it was sold to me without the SD Card, so when I choose SatNav, it says "Please enter media device".

Am I okay to just purchase an SD card from eBay with the maps? I called Audi and they said it would be £195 for a new SD Card and activation - not sure if the activation is required if I get the media as it's already been activated before.

My MMI version number is MSTD_EU_AU_P2440 - not too sure which SD card I would need.

Also, I'm missing the parcel shelf - any recommended places to buy one from in the UK?

Cheers,

I was in the same boat I've got 2013 A3 - but sat nav sd card was removed when I bought it. If you read on here there are a few different stories but 90% say that you will need to get some sort of activation done. I bought a 2013 card off ebay and mine just sprung back into life - maybe I got lucky who knows, but has worked ever since for 3 years now. Might be worth a try but ensure you get a 2013 version and ensure the part no starts '8V' on the sticker of sd card - search on ebay for audi a3 8v sat nav sd card or something similar will get you pointed in the right direction.

Parcel shelf wise - either the dealers even just to get rough idea of price (brace yourself) or keep an eye on ebay for a while one will come up for sale eventually.

Reactions: tyr92
Thanks, I'll have a look around. Promising to hear that you were able to just put in your media sd card. I've also been looking for what version of maps it did have installed, myaudi doesn't prove to be too helpful on this.

I have the upgraded sat nav so might be different (2014 A3) and it doesn’t use a SD card. I just need one to update it. Is that the norm to use a SD card on the standard sat nav?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£195 seems very cheap and around the usual cost of activation only...

£195 seems very cheap and around the usual cost of activation only...

Normally around that price. Iv been quoted the same price. If your car doesn't have the sat nav function activated then thats around £250 on top of the Sd card price.

Quoted £595 for activation yesterday at Audi.

What’s the going rate from Audi for an up to date SD Card if you already have Nav activated?

What’s the going rate from Audi for an up to date SD Card if you already have Nav activated?

As above! around the £250 mark. Dealers vary but its around that.

Basically there are 3 actions.

1-Sat Nav needs to be activated/enabled in your car (this is around @250)

2- Then an SD Card needs to be bought,

3- then this SD Card has to be activated and paired to the car. If you have Sat Nav activated in the car then you only need an SD Card with maps.

Steps 2 & 3 are around £250. some dealers do deals and you can get it lower. I got offered all 3 steps for £400 once. This is for base level Audi MMI on a PFL without Audi Connect so info might change for FL.

With the amount of info on this forum and the amount of wrong answers I would have thought it was better to make this a sticky on the main page of this forum. Its one of the most commonly asked questions and one of the most wrongly answered too, either through wrong info or by people being confused by the wording of "activation"!

Last edited:
Reactions: V6_Man
Got mine activated by the dealer 3 years ago and could do with an update, just wondered what prices people are paying for new maps on SD card from Audi, obviously including pairing.

Next I need to find out what roads are updated to see if it’s the right time to update.
There’s new roads at Glasgow & Edinburgh, the new Forth Crossing and the new Aberdeen bypass I could do with.

Got mine activated by the dealer 3 years ago and could do with an update, just wondered what prices people are paying for new maps on SD card from Audi, obviously including pairing.

Next I need to find out what roads are updated to see if it’s the right time to update.
There’s new roads at Glasgow & Edinburgh, the new Forth Crossing and the new Aberdeen bypass I could do with.
Did you ever find out about this?