Standard S4 Alloys

NLL

Reaction score
Quick questions - are the standard S4 alloys (i.e. the 10 V spokes) diamond cut?

I'm considering alloy wheel cover but I note that many policies exclude split rim, chrome polished or diamond cut alloys.

Quick questions - are the standard S4 alloys (i.e. the 10 V spokes) diamond cut?

I'm considering alloy wheel cover but I note that many policies exclude split rim, chrome polished or diamond cut alloys.

I don’t think the standard ones are, just the RS style or S4 specific wheels are diamond cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The multi spoke S4 standard alloys are diamond cut

The multi spoke S4 standard alloys are diamond cut

Are you sure? I’m fairly certain the standard ones on the left are just silver and the ones in the middle and on the right are diamond cut...

169b3b1e2474951c6a22640f22412b06.png

And they're a pain in the ar$e to keep clean ;-)

Reactions: scotty76, Jsmills, hellodave and 1 other person
Deffo diamond cut, just it’s very similar colour to the internal so it’s a bit pointless. If you zoom on the picture you can see the cut ridges.

Attachments

• EB01F185-D460-480E-A9B0-7C9CC706E622.jpeg
    EB01F185-D460-480E-A9B0-7C9CC706E622.jpeg
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 248
Reactions: Daggerit

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: I bet! That's one of the reasons I like my ones a bit better (ones on the right), because they're a bit more open for when you want to clean them and they also hide the dirt a bit better.

Deffo diamond cut, just it’s very similar colour to the internal so it’s a bit pointless. If you zoom on the picture you can see the cut ridges.

Fair enough, you're totally right! Didn't realise at all. :)

At least if you wanted to refurb them you could do it all in the same colour without getting the diamond cut done and it would still look standard, that's definitely a bonus. I like the look of diamond cut wheels but they're a nightmare if they get damaged at all.

Reactions: Jsmills
What he said Other than that, I like the standard wheels. The other options are nice but I couldn't justify an extra £500+ on something I can't see or use while I'm driving

And as everyone else has said, there is a little diamond cut bit on each spoke (which I didn't expect from the pictures).

Reactions: Jsmills
ive had a few recut over time and its at least 2 days without the wheel, then if they don't get the lacquer 100% they don't last much beyond 1-2 years.

your right i'd deffo just respray these no one would know. Shame they didn't go for a darker grey they'd look much smarter.

I didn't realise this was what diamond cut actually is, I always thought it had textured "lines" in the areas that are cut.

I didn't realise this was what diamond cut actually is, I always thought it had textured "lines" in the areas that are cut.

It usually does from the tool taking material off, does yours not have it?

That’s right it should have the lines on, tbh you have to get the right light to see them sometimes. I’ve zoomed in mine to show.

Attachments

• C583ABE3-F00F-4A0E-8BDA-602AC24735E0.jpeg
    C583ABE3-F00F-4A0E-8BDA-602AC24735E0.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 228
That’s right it should have the lines on, tbh you have to get the right light to see them sometimes. I’ve zoomed in mine to show.

That's what I'd expect to see from the tooling marks... BigAardvaark, have yours been refurbed if they don't have those marks?

Thanks for the quick responses and photos.

I had assumed they were standard alloys but as I've not collected my car yet I've been unable to check (roll on tomorrow!). If I get insurance I'll make sure it covers diamond cut wheels.

Reactions: scotty76 and Daggerit
Yup, I have those on my A4, they are 100% diamond cut.

As for cleaning, get some Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel cleaner and a set of wheel woolies (the pack with 3 different sizes) and you can clean the wheels in under 20 minutes. They're still a PITA though lol, but look absolutely amazing

It’s not so much the cleaning... various wheel brushes can take care of that, it’s the drying I struggle with. You just can’t get between the spokes.

Think I need to invest in some sort of water filter to eradicate water-spotting.

I had diamond cut wheels as standard on my a3 sline and I was forever cutting my hands on the sharp edges when cleaning them. They are also more expensive to repair if you kerb them...