Are the standard s4 speakers good

sunshinewelly

Reaction score
Just wondering whether the audio upgrade is necessary. The speakers in my current m135 are dreadful so it would be nice to have better audio when coming to audi

I did see some older posts stating the b8 s4 audio was very good. Just wondering if the B9 is OK as well

It’s alright, wouldn’t say I’m an audiophile or anything though. The B&O is better in my opinion but it’s mainly for the lower tones because you get the sub and things, I’m not sure if the standard setup has one or not.

Stepped from my car with the B&O into an A5 sportback with the standard system and found that it was just a bit more ‘tinny’ but overall wasn’t bad. Again, I’m not an audiophile and don’t blast the stereo or anything, but wouldn’t be too disappointed with the standard one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jsmills
Yeah standard is pretty good, it’s much better than the standard setup in say a VW Passat or C class merc. I can live with it happily, but obviously I’d swap to B&O if the magic fairy could swap it for free.

Reactions: Daggerit
There's a thread somewhere in this forum comparing the standard audio to the B&O system. It's worth a look.

What do we call standard ? I think only the first trim level SE gets the basic audio as I know my S-line has the upgraded level "as standard". It's pretty good and similar to the M135i first level upgrade which I had (the £300 optional one).

Edit : Sport also has the upgraded 10-speaker Audi System indeed "as standard"

What do we call standard ? I think only the first trim level SE gets the basic audio as I know my S-line has the upgraded level "as standard". It's pretty good and similar to the M135i first level upgrade which I had (the £300 optional one).

There’s only one standard option for the S4, then the upgraded B&O, so the Audi stereo or whatever it’s called.

Reactions: Nickfrog
There’s only one standard option for the S4, then the upgraded B&O, so the Audi stereo or whatever it’s called.

Just realised the OP is talking about S4, thanks! The point however still stands that the quality of the standard S4 sound will be far better than on a M135i if the BMW didn't have an optional upgrade (mind you, that's not difficult).

Reactions: Daggerit
All a4's in the uk have the audi sound system including a sub woofer, if you can call it that...

Just wondering whether the audio upgrade is necessary. The speakers in my current m135 are dreadful so it would be nice to have better audio when coming to audi

I did see some older posts stating the b8 s4 audio was very good. Just wondering if the B9 is OK as well
From other threads on this, the answer seems to depend how loud you like your music.

People who listen at low or moderate volume will say the the standard (***) system is fine and B&O is a waste. People who like to crank up the volume will tell you the *** is weedy/tinny/crackly and not fit for purpose.

Personally I'm in the second camp. I find the B&O is pretty good, whereas the *** runs out steam quite quickly as the volume increases. For me, B&O was worth the cost.

Reactions: DaveW
All a4's in the uk have the audi sound system including a sub woofer, if you can call it that...

The SE doesn't have it but makes do with a 8-speaker passive system according to the AUDI UK site.

Quite irrelevant as the OP is looking at S4 anyway, which will offer a "free" upgrade to his existing system in the M135i.

Apologies, you are correct about the SE, I looked it up on a different site in my post #9

Just as you would with a domestic hi fi, you would take your own music to a hi fi shop and audition the setup you are looking to buy, the same goes for a car, in my opinion.
£1250 is not an insignificant amount of money (don't forget, you have to buy the B&O system as part of the comfort pack) to spend, ask your dealer to get an A4 (doesn't have to be an S4) in for a demo, or find a dealership that does.

Yep just the basic system in my m135 and it's poor As long as the s4 sounds better I will be happy

I would probably give the S4 base sound 7 out of 10 vs the base M135i at 3 out of 10.

10 being Bose as the best available OE , not that I think music ever sounds good in a car.

QUOTE="DaveW, post: 3289123, member: 39942"]Just as you would with a domestic hi fi, you would take your own music to a hi fi shop and audition the setup you are looking to buy, the same goes for a car, in my opinion.
[/QUOTE]
I would expect any decent hifi shop to allow me to take the system home as it will sound different despite any effort they might make to replicate domestic front room.
As I have referred to in another thread a car audio system will also have variations according to temperature, air pressure etc etc..

I’ve the comfort pack on my A4 Quattro and really impressed by the B&O. You also get electric seats and keyless entry which I find very useful.
Can’t seem to get the Avant boot to work with my foot though.

...Just wondering whether the audio upgrade is necessary...

The correct answer is yes/no/somewhere inbetween.

You really need to listen yourself and see if it matters to you. Your ears, your money. Everything else here is just opinion. (including this!)

I’ve just moved from BMW to Audi, and I will say that the Audio quality and volume is much better in the Audi.

I have bought an S4, though, so it is all kind of wasted on me, as I leave the sound system off so as to enjoy the noise of the engine and exhausts! :icon thumright:

Reactions: cuke2u and Daggerit