Grade of Oil

Ron240

Breaking the stereotype
Reaction score
I always like to have a litre of oil for my cars for topping up purposes....even though I have very rarely ever needed it.
I looked in my handbook but it doesn't seem to state what the specific grade of oil for my engine is.
Can anybody tell me what Audi recommend please?

I have checked with the Castrol oil finder page and for an S3 8v they recommend 5w-40 Castrol Edge. The dealer who supplied my 2018 S3 supplied 0w-30 Castrol Edge.

Reactions: Ron240
I followed your link [USER=103754]@jungle650[/USER] ....certainly a lot to search through.....I'm sure I will find it eventually.
Alternatively being new here you could have cut me some slack and just told me. :)

Reactions: Sandra
:racer:
I followed your link [USER=103754]@jungle650[/USER] ....certainly a lot to search through.....I'm sure I will find it eventually.
Alternatively being new here you could have cut me some slack and just told me. :)

No fun in that :friends:.. you will thank me later. There is plenty of reading in the sticky threads. This and the search function will be your new friends. There’s not much that hasnt already been discussed, debated and recorded on the S3 platform. Most of the time there is no need for a new thread, just re-ignite an old one.

Enjoy and welcome
Jungle:racer:

Reactions: Sandra
There definitely is plenty of useful reading. I know once I start I will get sidetracked and forget what I was looking for in the first place.....much like what happens when I am viewing youtube. :D

P.S. I have been where you are and said exactly the same thing to newbies on other forums.....so would seem I didn't follow my own advice. :flushed:

Reactions: Tom.H and jungle650
I have checked with the Castrol oil finder page and for an S3 8v they recommend 5w-40 Castrol Edge. The dealer who supplied my 2018 S3 supplied 0w-30 Castrol Edge.

Yep same for me. They had left a bottle of 0w-30 shell helix in the boot.

What's your engine code ?

If you mean 0w-40 5w-30 10w-40 etc... They depend on the climate in your country. Some of them are better in cold climates some of them better in hot climates.

I live in Turkey which has a moderate climate. I use 5w-30 in my car. And i recommend you to use Motul 300v power racing oil. It is very good at covering your engine from hot running heat. It just stays cool in every situation.

I have on 4 separate occasions so far tried to speak to the service dept. at my dealer to find out precisely what grade of oil is in my car.....but everytime I phone they are busy but promise to phone back. They actually did on one of those occasions but I was too busy to take the call. :(
On a side note I wonder who decided to make the dipstick black. Oil can be hard enough to see on a conventional silver dipstick, but is much harder on a black one! :worried:

I have on 4 separate occasions so far tried to speak to the service dept. at my dealer to find out precisely what grade of oil is in my car.....but everytime I phone they are busy but promise to phone back. They actually did on one of those occasions but I was too busy to take the call. :(
On a side note I wonder who decided to make the dipstick black. Oil can be hard enough to see on a conventional silver dipstick, but is much harder on a black one! :worried:

I’ve never seen a dealer use 5W-30 personally and I’m talking 6 or so Audi’s in for service across a couple of dealers.

I once got given 0W-30 and was told it was the wrong grade. The grade always used in my experience is 5W-30. Each dealer will have their own contracts on Mobil, Castrol or the local dealer... Quantum.

In the RS3 I’m using Miller Racing Oil, same price if not cheaper than the Audi options and the engine oil runs 5 degrees cooler with it, success I’d say. Providing it meets the specs listed in the sticky thread I.e 502, 503 or 504 etc (find out which for your car, manual says) then warranties stay valid. The millers oil is marked up as meeting that spec on the website and the containers.

My dealer gave me a small bottle of oil for top-up purposes. It came in a black pouch and can be stowed under the boot floor (next to the spare wheel). I keep it there with a foot pump, torque wrench and the correct socket for the wheel bolts.

Reactions: Ron240
I keep it there with a foot pump, torque wrench and the correct socket for the wheel bolts.
We belong to a rare and almost extinct breed of drivers. :D
I always keep these things in my car too.....not forgetting the handy tyre pressure gauge.

We belong to a rare and almost extinct breed of drivers. :D
I always keep these things in my car too.....not forgetting the handy tyre pressure gauge.

Hehe yes. It is a habit from my very unreliable Morris Minor which was my first car. I used to keep all manner of thing in the boot; fan belts, starting handle (which is also the wheel brace) etc. My foot pump has a gauge. I also keep a tyre tread depth gauge there too. The supplied wrench is really not adequate to change a tyre (too short) and then it’s a guess as to whether the torque is right. I’m a bit obsessive with tyres but then again I drive quite often from the U.K. to Europe (at the moment I am in Austria having driven the S3 over a 1,000 Km mostly through Germany, most entertaining!).

My dealer gave me a small bottle of oil for top-up purposes. It came in a black pouch and can be stowed under the boot floor (next to the spare wheel). I keep it there with a foot pump, torque wrench and the correct socket for the wheel bolts.

I’ve not got a foot pump, anyway the cars these days have the silly repair kits which I’d never use... get it recovered first before I ruin the alloy.

I’ve got a Hi Viz, jump leads, tow rope and a small fire extinguisher. Not enough space in the RS3, can hardly fit it all in beneath the floor. I’ve also got my oil top up, a stash of bird dropping wipes for emergencies when I have to remove it without washing, steering wheel condoms as James May called them, blue foot socks for those dirty car parks. Had to park on a muddy patch before in the S3, used the socks to walk over it out of the car to keep the shoes clean and same going back.. perfect. Oh and a pack of heavy duty hand wipes to clean my hands when I’ve done the tyre pressures, always get dirty from the valves.

blue foot socks for those dirty car parks. Had to park on a muddy patch before in the S3, used the socks to walk over it out of the car to keep the shoes clean and same going back..
Glad I'm not the only one who has these in the car haha. Got like a pack of 50, albeit in the boot but never used them yet.

Glad I'm not the only one who has these in the car haha. Got like a pack of 50, albeit in the boot but never used them yet.

Nope you’re not the only one, only been used 2/3 times but are a life saver!