bobbytomorow

Reaction score
I have a Canadian 2006 base model A3 2.0T with cruise control, and DSG. It originally has a 4 spoke wheel with no buttons, paddle shifters or anything just a super basic rubber like wheel. So I was able to obtain a 3 spoke MFSW wheel from a nearby wrecker including its wire loom and also an airbag from a 3 spoke wheel that seems to perfectly fit. So I followed a retrofit DIY from vwvortex and the newly installed MFSW doesn't seem to work at all:

-buttons do not light up
-audio and cruise buttons do not work at all
-paddle shifters do not work
-nothing works at all aside from being able to steer (obviously)
-Also the Airbag light on the cluster stays on

At first there were errors on the display/cluster, the ESP symbol, steering wheel symbol and "Airbag" light. Driving around the block these all went away aside from the Airbag light which stays on.

Part numbers of old hardware:
steering wheel - 8P0419091CC6PS
Air bag - 8P0880201AM/6PS
Wire harness - 8P0971589R

Part numbers of newly installed hardware:
Steering wheel - 8P0419091BNTNA
Air bag - 8P0880201BJ
Wire harness - 8P0971589L

According to realoem.me all three of the new parts are from A3 8P 2004-2007 so it should all work I would think. The only things I haven't done are use a VCDS/vag-com nor have I checked what model of steering module I have (don't know how to access it yet). One other thing that stands out to me is that the wire harness from the old 4 spoke had three wires that attached to the airbag while the new harness has only 2 that attach to the new air bag, for what thats worth.

Any ideas?
confused.gif

Are you sure the bug yellow clip is pushed in all the way? It's quite the push to get it to click

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reactions: bobbytomorow
I think you need VCDS to code in the mfsw. It’s likely the car doesn’t recognise the upgrade.

Reactions: bobbytomorow and paddy
The new air bag will not work on your old set up and you will need to code the wheel to get the buttons to work.
I fitted a FB MFSW to a 2005 A3 with the new airbag and later drove the car through next doors kitchen wall (don't ask) and i can assure you the airbag will not work. Its to do with the single and two stage systems on the cars which are different.

The new air bag will not work on your old set up and you will need to code the wheel to get the buttons to work.
I fitted a FB MFSW to a 2005 A3 with the new airbag and later drove the car through next doors kitchen wall (don't ask) and i can assure you the airbag will not work. Its to do with the single and two stage systems on the cars which are different.
That's an extreme way to test an Airbag, but I admire your commitment to testing!
:thumbs up:

Its an 06 so its dual stage, so it should be airbag compatible, post up pics of old & new parts.

Coding is a must before posting up an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: paddy
Well i was only a year out :) audi Guildford fitted my wheel but neglected to tell me the airbag wouldn't work.
I considered it my duty to check this and i can confirm it didn't work, i can also confirm that the steel bumper on the front of an Audi A3 will completely demolish a wall without bending.

Attachments

• P160710_1152_01.JPG
    P160710_1152_01.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Smellysback.JPG
    Smellysback.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 169
Reactions: NHN and Daveyonthemove
Did you change the steering control module?
If not that’s probably your issue.

There are 3 types available lowline, midline, highline.

Highline supports cruise & MFSW
Midline supports cruise control
Lowline supports neither

Never seen a high line module on a car without MFSW from factory, so they need swapping over.

If you post your part number I will check which version you have, probably be 8P0953549 with a letter on the end.

I think you need VCDS to code in the mfsw. It’s likely the car doesn’t recognise the upgrade.

Thanks I will try that next and report back the results. May be a a little while as I don’t have one yet but I suppose now is a good time to get one, I do plan on doing a lot with this Audi.

Did you change the steering control module?
If not that’s probably your issue.

There are 3 types available lowline, midline, highline.

Highline supports cruise & MFSW
Midline supports cruise control
Lowline supports neither

Never seen a high line module on a car without MFSW from factory, so they need swapping over.

If you post your part number I will check which version you have, probably be 8P0953549 with a letter on the end.

From my understanding if I have a North American A3 with DSG I automatically have a highline module

Assumption is the mother of all xxxxxxx :p

Just checked and my steering control module is 8P0953549F (aka highline) which is compatible with MFSW.

I thought it would be simply plug and play but looks like its going to require coding...Does anyone know if I can do the appropriate coding with OBDeleven?

If as you say you plan to keep the car and do a lot to it then get VCDS, its not cheap but will pay for itself in no time over paying a garage to do basic things like coding and downloading fault codes.