1.8 to 2.0 stroke, worth it? tips?

Warsuperior

Reaction score
As it seems my s3 might be running soon, my crappy daily drive a3 has AGU angine in it.
Mileage is around 260tkm with engine I has served me many years without problems and still pulls good until 1.2bar and turbo runs out of juice.

I was thinking to bore&stroke to 2.0 with great forget internals to handle the power. AGU head is big port so Im not going to touch it, except supertech valves and adjustable cams.
Is the TFSI crank to go? I need to adjust few things to it, eg. trigger mesh is different and the camshaft gear is different?

I havent done strokers so every bit of in would be be great :)
You can also have general chat about this here, just trying to get intersting conversations going.

Planning to tuse RE85 or V-power as fuel.

if your car is nearly running why not give it a play with first before adding on the things that might go wrong all at once? give it a month to make sure everything is good before adding "risk" ?

if your car is nearly running why not give it a play with first before adding on the things that might go wrong all at once? give it a month to make sure everything is good before adding "risk" ?
I think he’s on about his a3 not the s3 project

Reactions: Warsuperior
oh who cares about a3's they are like £800 - its not like anyone ever got one working with more than 200BHP did they.. ??
#bigal searching for some scissors to track me down :D :D

on the TT forum the most recent broken rod'd engine thread I read, was because (in my beginners - internet forum only knowledge) it had a TDI crank - on here, I think.... Andy? (it's been a while) said the angle was too wide to "push up as well as in" or "down as well as out" so the pressures were in the wrong places on the IE rods.

All of these special maps like MAP1, MAP2, MAP3 on 1.8T or Mercedes #PartyTime F1 Q3 Maps remind me of the "Turbo Boost" button on Amstrad PC's in the late 80s - you could run at 8Mhz instead of 4Mhz if you pushed the button - but if you left it on all the time then....? would it blow up....? turned out - probably not, it was more to do with programs that expected the internal clock for a "timer" based Terminate Stay Resident (TSR) would be too quick for the application designed for a 4Mhz program floppy/ hard disk - read/writes and network timing for the pings etc.

#RAMPAGE

do it.... get the block honed and chuck in a 2.1 stroker with a big turbo setup? or fit a 2.5litre 5 cylinder TFSI engine and run at 265BHP.

Upload 2018 7 26 23 15 21

Reactions: RS4B5
Engine is stage 2 for my s3. It is large port and in good shape so I can build it with ease and drive my s3
I wish I could use 5 cyl engine. I love the sound and in general how great they are to tune

Ask Prawn I think under Bill's guidance he retro fitted it to his non vvt head and mapped it for performance instead of economy/emissions our whatever it does in the absence of the sai

How does the VVT on Audi engines work and how you can use it to get better spool?
Advances the inlet cam... increases overlap and helps spool... typically see 500-1000 rpm depending on the turbo and other circumstances...

You don't hold it in advance all the way through the rev range as a rule... there is a point where setting back to its retarded position benefits...

Mine comes in at 1500rpm and is off at 5800rpm

<tuffty/>

Advances the inlet cam... increases overlap and helps spool... typically see 500-1000 rpm depending on the turbo and other circumstances...

You don't hold it in advance all the way through the rev range as a rule... there is a point where setting back to its retarded position benefits...

Mine comes in at 1500rpm and is off at 5800rpm

<tuffty/>
Do you have OEM cams too or? Thanks for info how it works. That is good to know. I dont think I am retrofotting it to this S3 version since would need to install the unit for vvt and loom but for the AGU engine that is most likely to be.

How does the VVT on Audi engines work and how you can use it to get better spool?
it advances the inlet cam 22 degrees when active. In practice, on std cams, on larger frame turbo you will see significant earlier spool and torque onset.. Its purely an on/off device however.. you cant dial in 12 degrees for example.. its just a solenoid which diverts oil flow on the cam to cam tensioner, pushing fluid up (vvt off) or down (vvt active) on the chain

Reactions: Warsuperior
"oh who cares about a3's they are like £800 - its not like anyone ever got one working with more than 200BHP did they.. ??"

Knowledge and ability are wonderfull and both are really rewarding.

Lack of both the above is so sad and must be such a downer for that indivoidual.

Reactions: Prawn and Stuart B
it advances the inlet cam 22 degrees when active. In practice, on std cams, on larger frame turbo you will see significant earlier spool and torque onset.. Its purely an on/off device however.. you cant dial in 12 degrees for example.. its just a solenoid which diverts oil flow on the cam to cam tensioner, pushing fluid up (vvt off) or down (vvt active) on the chain
So you can program Me7.5 for benefits. Thank you for info!

If you have the chance: stroke it.. you'll definately benefit from the added cc's..
I had both OEM 1.8 displacement with a GTX3071, and a stroked(2.0) with the same turbo, and you can really notice the difference!
I had a full stroke kit for sale(for a 2.0 with a 92.8mm crank) but thats sold.. only have a set Carrillo 144x20 rods for sale.

If you have the chance: stroke it.. you'll definately benefit from the added cc's..
I had both OEM 1.8 displacement with a GTX3071, and a stroked(2.0) with the same turbo, and you can really notice the difference!
I had a full stroke kit for sale(for a 2.0 with a 92.8mm crank) but thats sold.. only have a set Carrillo 144x20 rods for sale.
Any amount of displacement is gains of course :)

Vr6 engine would be lovely but cant make street legal where I live unless they would accept the 3P chassis as same "model" as 8L
VR5 engine would be legal tho but best to stick with 4-cyl for now :D

Time and a place dude... please keep 'for sale' comments out of the main forum...

<tuffty/>