Battery Life

MS3

Reaction score
Hi, If I charge my battery then leave the car for two weeks, I find the battery is almost dead (not enough to start the car). Is this normal? The battery is still relativly new....Does the 8L S3 have a large power consumption when it is just parked up or do I likely have some earth leak (assuming the battery is fine).

Sounds like a leak.

A3 8V Facelift Limousine

Do you have an aftermarket stereo fitted?

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Goubo1
I do aswell since rnse was fitted

Last edited:
Even a relatively new battery can have issues! And out of experience leaving the battery on charge for long times is also bad for the battery itself, you better disconnect the cables of the battery, but you'll loose all programmed data in your headunit, but still cheaper than buying a new battery.

ok will do that after lunch (unpower the radio)

The battery is pretty new and it is a Varta C14 56Ah 12V BLack Dynamic 480A

My battery would last less than a week when I had an after market radio fitted... it had a USB stick in permanently and was wired from a permanent live...

I removed the USB stick and rewired off the s-kont fuse location in the fuse box and the issue went away...

@Goubo1 ... do you leave the bluetooth dongle in the ODBC port for your torque app? I did this once or twice on the A2 and battery went flat over a week or so...

<tuffty/>

My battery would last less than a week when I had an after market radio fitted... it had a USB stick in permanently and was wired from a permanent live...

I removed the USB stick and rewired off the s-kont fuse location in the fuse box and the issue went away...

@Goubo1 ... do you leave the bluetooth dongle in the ODBC port for your torque app? I did this once or twice on the A2 and battery went flat over a week or so...

<tuffty/>

My Bluetooth dongle is hardwired in next to the ecu I believe mate

My Bluetooth dongle is hardwired in next to the ecu I believe mate
Would imagine that the problem then dude...

Didn't drive the A2 for a couple of weeks while doing tweaks to the S3 and battery was as flat as a flat thing... realised the dongle was connected and pulled it... been no problem since

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Goubo1
In my case it does look like the battery has a duff cell - its a fairly new battery but it spent some months in a discharged state -that is suspected to have knackered one of the cells.