ECU problem

Hamza Arshad

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 2014 Audi S3 8v sportback. The car is pretty much factory standard and has not been modified. 2 weeks ago, the engine cut off whilst the car was started and parked. The engine management light was on before this happened and I had it diagnosed previously which suggested a sensor was faulty.

When the engine cut off, 4 system warning lights came up. These were: stabilisation system fault, parking brake fault, hillside assist fault and start/stop fault. The car went into some form of 'limp mode' when I tried to start it. After leaving if for 2 hours, I disconnect and reconnected the battery and the car started properly and I was able to drive home.

The engine management light has remained on. I have since had the car diagnosed again and there are a number of faults with the main one being the ECU processer faulty. Other faults that came up were to do with the coolant, which has been decreasing whenever I have driven it since (only around the street to see how the car is).

I would really be grateful if you could offer me your thoughts and advice :)

When was the last time you changed battery? Low voltage battery is known to associated with electronic glitches like these on 8V

When was the last time you changed battery? Low voltage battery is known to associated with electronic glitches like these on 8V

Makes sense to check the battery. They don’t last for ever. Coolant leak is something else and needs to be traced. Could be as simple as a loose clip on a hose or water pump etc. Of course the two faults could be related (or not) e.g. water leaking onto an electrical connection.

To the best of my knowledge, the battery has not been changed at all. I will definitely look into this.

Thank you!

Makes sense to check the battery. They don’t last for ever. Coolant leak is something else and needs to be traced. Could be as simple as a loose clip on a hose or water pump etc. Of course the two faults could be related (or not) e.g. water leaking onto an electrical connection.

Yes I actually thought that aswell. The only problem I am having is whether or not to go to my local Audi for this.

I would change the battery as it’s a nice cheap option. Modern electronics are quite sensitive to voltage/current fluctuations. In the old days if the starter cranked it meant the battery was still good but modern starter motors can crank at lower voltages and currents and while that is sapping all available power from the battery the electronics starts to fail/error out.
Coolant leak might be related to it if it’s leaking all over the alternator or other things but could be an isolated fault in its own right.

Thank you all for your advice and thoughts, I really appreciate it. I will keep you updated as I try and resolve the issue