Audi A3 2.0 TDi DSG shaking violently under load

Andy Copland

Audi A3 2.0 TDi DSG S-Line Quattro
Reaction score
Recently I noticed something very strange, when accelerating (be it heavy or light footed) past say, 35/40mph my car begins to shake quite violently almost as if the drive shaft is wobbling like the ones of those toy trucks you used to get for HotWheels sets.

To be more descriptive....I'm joining onto a motorway from a slip road and as I begin accelerating lightly in say 4th/5th gear the shaking begins and follows through until I'm at a steady speed, even on cruise control though, the car does shake/vibrate (not as bad as when I'm accelerating).

In the above scenario - If I'm in 5th gear the car will drop to 4th and then shake as it begins to accelerate - I must point out, there is NO loss of power.

Just had a brand new turbo 2 weeks ago and it has been spot on up until yesterday.

Anyone had anything similar before? I'm thinking CV joints/boots may be the cause but want to be certain before ordering any parts.

Car is a 2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI DSG 140 BKD

What age/mileage is your clutch and flywheel?
Is your car remaped?
Afraid I'm not sure mate.

Car itself is 105,000 miles don't know if clutch and flywheel have ever been done as I bought the car on 94K with no service history.

If you can, get it fault scanned. There may be a fault code that could point you in the right direction.
If there are no faults, you will need a mechanic to test drive it and see what they think. It could be a DMF (Flywheel) on it's last legs which would be a major headache if it fails.
But, it could also be something far less sinister and easy to rectify. Fault scanning would be the first step.

If you can, get it fault scanned. There may be a fault code that could point you in the right direction.
If there are no faults, you will need a mechanic to test drive it and see what they think. It could be a DMF (Flywheel) on it's last legs which would be a major headache if it fails.
But, it could also be something far less sinister and easy to rectify. Fault scanning would be the first step.
Hmmmm my biggest fear is that it's flywheel.

The car has only just gone up for sale! Luckily my friend has a VAGCOM so will be getting it scanned this evening.

Hoping it's one of the lesser evils but then again that's what we all wish for isn't it?

Reactions: Daveyonthemove