Turn A3 into a WiFi hotspot?

JJ_2018

Reaction score
I have a dash cam in parking mode but sadly any find a WiFi single to piggy back off so I can use the cloud functionality.

Is there a way to turn my car into a hotspot and so that my camera can use the data? I am happy to buy a data plan if it can be fined

Cheers
J

Any 3G/LTE WiFi hotspot will work. You can get USB-type ones and plug them into phone charger (while wiring charger to use constant 12V) or you can buy any which plugs into cigarette lighter if you don't want to cut that many wires, etc. Plenty of them on Amazon.

You could hide a cheap/older phone in the car and have it permanently wired to 12v then use it for a WiFi hotspot and a cheap alternative to a tracker using Find My iPhone or a Tracker app such as Followmee.....if you’re concerned re battery drain you could wire it in via a power magic pro. The Followmee app allows you to setup a geo fence so you get notified if the car moves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the car has Audi Connect and a Sim slot in the MMI it can be turned into a wifi hotspot..

If the car has Audi Connect and a Sim slot in the MMI it can be turned into a wifi hotspot..
Unfortunately there is no way to have this feature on while the vehicle is locked :(

Your gonna need a MiFi type device which would be charged via the vehicles 12v while driving and then use its own internal battery whilst the vehicles parked. Could be wired to the vehicles battery also.

Edit: Audi actually used to have their own OEM MiFi type unit, which was hard wired, but I cannot seem to find it for sale anymore.

Unfortunately there is no way to have this feature on while the vehicle is locked :(

Your gonna need a MiFi type device which would be charged via the vehicles 12v while driving and then use its own internal battery whilst the vehicles parked. Could be wired to the vehicles battery also.

Edit: Audi actually used to have their own OEM MiFi type unit, which was hard wired, but I cannot seem to find it for sale anymore.
Just wondering, have you ever tried to "crack" the wifi so that it doesn't crap on the signal in the front when the vehicle is in drive?

I love having WiFi in the car, but it's utterly useless when the vehicle is in drive.

Just wondering, have you ever tried to "crack" the wifi so that it doesn't **** on the signal in the front when the vehicle is in drive?

I love having WiFi in the car, but it's utterly useless when the vehicle is in drive.
and in English that means?

I have Techpack in my vehicle and I get full wifi signal and usage both inside and outside of the vehicle.

and in English that means?

I have Techpack in my vehicle and I get full wifi signal and usage both inside and outside of the vehicle.

Might only be in PFL vehicles, but I remember reading (and seem to have experienced unless it's just crappy signal whilst driving) that the signal for the front of the car is weakened whilst the car is going above a specific speed. Back of the car has full speed.

I can only imagine this is done if the router is placed in the middle of the car with directional antennas, or in the back of the vehicle.

Might only be in PFL vehicles, but I remember reading (and seem to have experienced unless it's just crappy signal whilst driving) that the signal for the front of the car is weakened whilst the car is going above a specific speed. Back of the car has full speed.

I can only imagine this is done if the router is placed in the middle of the car with directional antennas, or in the back of the vehicle.
Thats not the way it works, the signal is constant and not directional. I would suggest that you have a possible issue with your MMI unit.

Thats not the way it works, the signal is constant and not directional. I would suggest that you have a possible issue with your MMI unit.

Odd. Could have sworn I read that in the manual. Must be dreaming it.

Odd. Could have sworn I read that in the manual. Must be dreaming it.
Other than operating instructions this is all that is stated in the manual:

You can use your MMI system as a WirelessLAN (Wi-Fi) hotspot for connecting to the Internet on up to eight Wireless LAN (Wi-Fi) devices. While you are driving, small, Light Wireless LAN (Wi-Fi) devices that are not permanently attached to the vehicle must only be operated from the rear seats.

Important: The ignition must be switched on.

Other than operating instructions this is all that is stated in the manual:

You can use your MMI system as a WirelessLAN (Wi-Fi) hotspot for connecting to the Internet on up to eight Wireless LAN (Wi-Fi) devices. While you are driving, small, Light Wireless LAN (Wi-Fi) devices that are not permanently attached to the vehicle must only be operated from the rear seats.

Important: The ignition must be switched on.

Hmm, I doubt I read anything about disabling wifi in the front of the car, but I'm fairly certain my manual doesn't say that.

Hmm, I doubt I read anything about disabling wifi in the front of the car, but I'm fairly certain my manual doesn't say that.
I don't see how it'd be possible to disable the wifi just in the front.

Sounds very much like legalese *rse-covering to me.

Think it relates to not using a device in the front whilst driving...same as using mobile phone.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DJAlix and Phutters
Wow thanks for all the responses guys. I will have to just deal with the fact that I cant use the cloud functionality without a hot spot.

I have done this with a cheap Huwai MiFi plugged into the boot power supply and secreted out of site with Velcro. It goes into a dormant mode and had its own internal battery but wakes up when necessary. You can easily remove it to use out of the car and can piggyback other signals (such as home WiFi if in range) so doesn’t use the data allowance. An unexpected bonus (for us), when the Skoda is in the drive outside the house, it acts as a WiFi extender to reach the summerhouse at the bottom of the garden!

As above, a MiFi plugged into the boot power socket will be the easiest option. If the battery doesn't last long enough between drives then add a USB power bank. Plug that into the power socket and then the MiFi into the power bank.