How do i remove passenger shock

Chris Oshea

Reaction score
I went to fit the lowering springs today so started with the left side and after 2 hrs i abandoned it, i couldnt for the life of me get the shocker out the hub carrier, any ideas without ripping the hub and shaft out

I went to fit the lowering springs today so started with the left side and after 2 hrs i abandoned it, i couldnt for the life of me get the shocker out the hub carrier, any ideas without ripping the hub and shaft out

You need to insert a hub spreader into the slot at the rear of the hub.

Did mine a while back

You can see the hub spreader socket in the picture.

It opens up the hub slightly thus allowing the strut to slide out.

d3cd39554e02412d32ca997dd04d564e.jpg

Similar to below
8e2264306781d9268cecd2dd3a63846c.png

Yeah i can get that loose so the shock slides up and down but hand get the hub low enough to get it out, i tried the hard side 1st,left side with the shorter shaft it seems to hit the arb

Yeah i can get that loose so the shock slides up and down but hand get the hub low enough to get it out, i tried the hard side 1st,left side with the shorter shaft it seems to hit the arb

You need to push down hard or use a lever to apply downwards pressure.

Trust me it can be done.

I take it you undid the anti roll bar drop link and jacked both sides of the front up to take tension off the roll bar?

You need to be careful that the drive shaft doesn’t pop out of its bearing cage if you allow it to move too far out.

I udid the drop link 3 bolts ontop of strut and the big one on hub im about half inch too shy of getting it out

I udid the drop link 3 bolts ontop of strut and the big one on hub im about half inch too shy of getting it out

When I did it I only slackened the 3 top mount bolts off but didn’t remove them completely this helped as then the strut doesn’t drop down and you can still wiggle it around, you need all the room you can get.

I only sleckened them at first, my problem i had was the driveshat was hitting the arb and stopping it going down any farther, the shaft look at a very steep angle so im not sure how much farther it will go down before it causes unwanted problems

I didn’t need any of that when I changed mine, was just a simple swap from what I can remember.

Never had any issues getting the strut out.
I always leave the top 3 nuts until last and make sure you undue the headlight leveller from the wishbone on the passenger side.
Just give the hub a push down once the strut is almost out and it helps to have a trolley jack just underneath the hub to support it.
If the driveshaft does pop out, it can be clicked back in with a little shove and twist to align the splines.

Reactions: T-800
Did you have both sides up at the same time, there was no way this was coming out and i can only assume its because i only had the passenger side jacked up

Theres always the chance that maybe with mne being a sport i may have longer springs and taller shocks ?

Did you have both sides up at the same time, there was no way this was coming out and i can only assume its because i only had the passenger side jacked up
Yeah I always jack the front up level, it's easier with the anti roll bar.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: T-800
All done guys cheers, yeah the front was a pig, anytine ive done them its been the bolt on shock, i hand to compress both front spring on the car

“How do I remove passenger shock?”

Don’t use launch control without warning ‘em first!

Sorry, I’ll get my coat...

Reactions: T-800, MikeParkin, -Ju- and 1 other person