DPF regen?

SM18

Audi A3
Reaction score
hi guys

will my car auto regain if i meet the required revs and speed when driving along?

if so, can someone tell me required speed and revs and time to hold it at for it to regen,
will that clear emissions light from dash? (amber engine symbol)

****** thing is doing my head in!

ta

hi guys

will my car auto regain if i meet the required revs and speed when driving along?

if so, can someone tell me required speed and revs and time to hold it at for it to regen,
will that clear emissions light from dash? (amber engine symbol)

****** thing is doing my head in!

ta

Yes, it’ll do it automatically. Unsure of what engine load it does it at, but at a guess id say your driving use isn’t suitable for a Diesel as they’re designed for long journeys. I’ve never had a light come on due to regen not being able to happen.

Are you sure the emissions light is because of a regen needed, and not a fault?

In my experience it won't regen unless it's above like 75% full. Obd Bluetooth dongle and the paid version of vag dpf from the playstore will sort you out

Yes, it’ll do it automatically. Unsure of what engine load it does it at, but at a guess id say your driving use isn’t suitable for a Diesel as they’re designed for long journeys. I’ve never had a light come on due to regen not being able to happen.

Are you sure the emissions light is because of a regen needed, and not a fault?

It’s been into garage for a regen, but light came back on the very next day? The computer wouldn’t let them do a regen, so they forced one on a rolling road, but wanted to try it for my self!

Cheers

Wil
In my experience it won't regen unless it's above like 75% full. Obd Bluetooth dongle and the paid version of vag dpf from the playstore will sort you out

Will get a obd Bluetooth dongle and try it, what app for iPhone? Will it give me dpf readings whilst driving etc

Cheers

Not sure about the iPhone but yeah with vagdpf you can watch the regen happen, no more second guessing. I get just shy of 400 miles before a regen is needed

Will look into it.. where to buy a obd dongle on a Sunday? Halfords?

Wil
Will get a obd Bluetooth dongle and try it, what app for iPhone? Will it give me dpf readings whilst driving etc

Cheers
As a general rule, obd bluetooth dongles don't work reliably with iphones (some very new ones might, but you need to specifically check iphone compatibility with the seller - beware buying a £3 one from ebay, as there is a good chance that this won't work).

For best results, you should use a wifi obd dongle with iphones. Search for "ELM327 wifi dongle"

And as I have just found out from superchips my cheap mini dongle won't read above 23 psi of boost. Something about it only being 8 channel. I don't know. Carista dongle is good not sure if it works with iPhone though

You need to give it a good blast imo every month or so. Around 2500 revs for 10-15 miles is what I've been told is what you need to ensure it's clear. This may differ from manufacturer to manufacturer but usually there are 2 sensors, an upstream and downstream. Once the downstream detects that only 45% of the airflow is passing by compared to the upstream sensor, the regren light will illuminate. So you do have to ensure the exhaust is correctly heated to burn off the soot that the DPF has trapped; which is rather funny as higher engine temperatures = higher chance of NOx

And as I have just found out from superchips my cheap mini dongle won't read above 23 psi of boost. Something about it only being 8 channel. I don't know. Carista dongle is good not sure if it works with iPhone though

Carista works well with my iPhone

The car also injects more fuel just after the normal inection to increase EGTs to burn it off. I've tried to hit those temps to trigger a regen and it's almost impossible!

You need to give it a good blast imo every month or so. Around 2500 revs for 10-15 miles is what I've been told is what you need to ensure it's clear. This may differ from manufacturer to manufacturer but usually there are 2 sensors, an upstream and downstream. Once the downstream detects that only 45% of the airflow is passing by compared to the upstream sensor, the regren light will illuminate. So you do have to ensure the exhaust is correctly heated to burn off the soot that the DPF has trapped; which is rather funny as higher engine temperatures = higher chance of NOx

Yeah I thought it was that sort of revs and time, I would say I achieve that every fortnight or so.. would it illuminate the dpf symbol (exhaust with dots) or just emission (Amber engine) or either? That’s what’s confusing me!

Also to the dongle dudes ;) I’ve ordered the elm one and an xtool one from amazon, so we’ll see how they perform, if not they can go back!

The cheap ones from China work fine with vagdpf but not so good with things like torque pro.

Yeah I thought it was that sort of revs and time, I would say I achieve that every fortnight or so.. would it illuminate the dpf symbol (exhaust with dots) or just emission (Amber engine) or either? That’s what’s confusing me!
if it's the DPF that's blocking then that will illuminate to tell you that it needs regening. I think when it illuminates that's when you need to take it to a garage

For anyone who's interested here is the full version of vagdpf during a regen this afternoon. Went from 91% down to 23% this was driving in traffic around town, no motorway required and never went over 40mph in 3rd gear so rpm around 2000.

Screenshot 20180910 165541

Reactions: Rideen