All season or winter

Samw12

Reaction score
Hi all
As winter is approaching what would people recommend all season tyres or winter? Living in northwest
2018 s3

I feel like I'm living groundhog Day with the amount of posts in the past week about winter tyres/winter wheels etc

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pook
It was a bad winter last year and there’s a lot of hills where I live.
Ino there’s been topics on tyres but no real info on which tyres would be best

I feel like I'm living groundhog Day with the amount of posts in the past week about winter tyres/winter wheels etc

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Maybe rather than the sarcastic comment , direct to the posts you have read ? Just a thought .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Samw12
Winters all the way. All seasons are too compromised. Not that great in winter not that great in summer. Would not recommend all seasons on a performance car. Run off the mill suv maybe.

Reactions: Fatbloke
A bit of topic but hope someone can help.
Trying to get a new set of wheels as well as winter tyres. My current wheels are 18” 8.5j and the handbook suggest contacting my local Audi dealership to confirm an aftermarket wheel is compatible/suitable for my vehicle. I called them but they don’t offer any advice on aftermarket wheel and suggested i should buy original wheels at £762 each. I assume any 18” 8.5j is compatible?

Not necessaryly - you also need to consider the offset ( marked on wheels generally as 'ET' followed by a dimension e.g. 35 -- which is the millimetres of the offset/inset).
My daughter ( North Wales area , - lots of snow in the Snowdon area !! ) runs factory 18" S Line on her A3 S Line for summer and the 'older' style 17" for winter - tyres are slightly cheaper in 17".

Like above comment, I do not think it's worth having all season - just do the job properly !

Me...… well I live in the Thames Valley area - little real bad weather and no commuting. When it does snow I keep off the roads - too many idiots (and the school run brigade who get the car out rather than walk ! )

Reactions: Flying Scotsman
I was going to get Michelin CrossClimate but think a winter tyre would be better. Any reviews on Pirelli sottozero?

Not necessaryly - you also need to consider the offset ( marked on wheels generally as 'ET' followed by a dimension e.g. 35 -- which is the millimetres of the offset/inset).
My daughter ( North Wales area , - lots of snow in the Snowdon area !! ) runs factory 18" S Line on her A3 S Line for summer and the 'older' style 17" for winter - tyres are slightly cheaper in 17".

Like above comment, I do not think it's worth having all season - just do the job properly !

Me...… well I live in the Thames Valley area - little real bad weather and no commuting. When it does snow I keep off the roads - too many idiots (and the school run brigade who get the car out rather than walk ! )
Where exactly is the offset indicated? Definitely not at the front of the wheels. This is getting very frustrating! I might just swap tyres and keep the same wheels.

usually on the back - you have to take the wheel off to see it ……………………… argh !
What wheels are you using ?

From memory I think both of the two you mention came out OK in test reports a year or two back.
Try searching on somewhere like Autoexpress site for tyre tests ( also Audiworld --they gets loads of snow in parts of the USA !!

UK/ Europe doesn't always get the tyres that the USA gets though, smaller choice here ……. ?? )

A bit of topic but hope someone can help.
Trying to get a new set of wheels as well as winter tyres. My current wheels are 18” 8.5j and the handbook suggest contacting my local Audi dealership to confirm an aftermarket wheel is compatible/suitable for my vehicle. I called them but they don’t offer any advice on aftermarket wheel and suggested i should buy original wheels at £762 each. I assume any 18” 8.5j is compatible?
A good site to check if will fit: https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Hi all
As winter is approaching what would people recommend all season tyres or winter? Living in northwest
2018 s3
I have been tempted at times with the cross climates, but as others have said, proper winters are better.
I had a FWD only A6 last winter with winters on, and can honestly say, traction light never came on, even with all the hectic snow.
OK, I did get stranded on a snow drift, but that was down to my stupidity and the lack of ride height of the A6.

Now have a 4WD Q5, so ride height is fine, but no winter tyres yet.

Reactions: Samw12
Michelin alpin 4 and continental ts860 have best reviews, anyone know best place to go for them?

Reactions: Fatbloke
Michelin alpin 4 and continental ts860 have best reviews, anyone know best place to go for them?

I ordered mine with my new wheels from rimstyles 235 40 18 £161 a tyre fitted

Reactions: NevMan
Winters all the way. All seasons are too compromised. Not that great in winter not that great in summer. Would not recommend all seasons on a performance car. Run off the mill suv maybe.

I wholeheartedly agree. I have used winters (Continental WinterContact TS830, TS850 and now TS860) for several years on various vehicles.

I have 16" wheels with 205x55x16 tyres which are almost identical circumference to the 225x40x18 summer tyres. I have a set for the Skoda VRS and a set for the A3 Quattro.

I have been up in the Scottish Highlands in heavy snow in the Skoda with the winters on and it has never faltered. The A3 in the beast from the east, although sometimes sliding into icy ruts, never got stuck or failed to stop.

I would recommend winters every time. They are good in all winter weather not just snow.

I just drive according to conditions, and in nearly 25 years it’s never failed me yet. NOTE: I’m not knocking those who go to the inconvenience of changing wheels/tyres twice a year I’m just saying that for me it’s not necessary. Our winters are generally mild and wet, so no need.

Reactions: AlS3BE and NevMan
Girlfriend drives it a lot of the times so would make me feel better with better tires for winter

I just drive according to conditions, and in nearly 25 years it’s never failed me yet. NOTE: I’m not knocking those who go to the inconvenience of changing wheels/tyres twice a year I’m just saying that for me it’s not necessary. Our winters are generally mild and wet, so no need.
Come up to sunny Scotland for a winter and you might change your tune:wink:
I used to think the same till I got my first set and then though why didn’t i do this 20 years ago:welcoming:
Mate has a set on his rwd and got around in the beast from the east which was quite impressive as even I struggled a little in a Quattro with winters.

Reactions: Fatbloke and Samw12
I’m going to get some Pirelli sottozero I think

I have the Pirelli Sottozero tyres in 18" 225/40. My experience with them last Winter (which was a bad one) was that the tyres behaved extremely well. They are more noisy than my Summer tyres (Michelin Pilot Sport) especially on concrete motorway surfaces (but the tread design is very different on a Winter tyre). I also noticed an increase in fuel consumption equivalent to a loss of between 3 and 5 miles per gallon during the period that the Winter tyres were on but there are other factors in cold weather that can also increase fuel consumption (high electrical load: lights, heater, screen demister etc.). I did feel much safer with the Winter tyres on especially as my drive to work is 90 miles over a range of hills at 0530 in the morning. That can be "interesting" in bad Winter weather. It is a bit of a nuisance changing over the tyres especially as the wheels are heavy and my back isn't what it was but it doesn't actually take that long. Make sure you torque the wheel bolts correctly and check them again after 10 miles or so. The Audi toolkit comes with a locating pin that is very useful (when you are taking off the wheel you put the pin back in the hole where you took a bolt out. This will hold the wheel so it doesn't fall off when you take out the last bolt. Then you can take the wheel off with the pin in place and put the Winter wheel on over the pin. Even better is to have 2 locating pins).

Reactions: AlS3BE
I have the Pirelli Sottozero tyres in 18" 225/40. My experience with them last Winter (which was a bad one) was that the tyres behaved extremely well. They are more noisy than my Summer tyres (Michelin Pilot Sport) especially on concrete motorway surfaces (but the tread design is very different on a Winter tyre). I also noticed an increase in fuel consumption equivalent to a loss of between 3 and 5 miles per gallon during the period that the Winter tyres were on but there are other factors in cold weather that can also increase fuel consumption (high electrical load: lights, heater, screen demister etc.). I did feel much safer with the Winter tyres on especially as my drive to work is 90 miles over a range of hills at 0530 in the morning. That can be "interesting" in bad Winter weather. It is a bit of a nuisance changing over the tyres especially as the wheels are heavy and my back isn't what it was but it doesn't actually take that long. Make sure you torque the wheel bolts correctly and check them again after 10 miles or so. The Audi toolkit comes with a locating pin that is very useful (when you are taking off the wheel you put the pin back in the hole where you took a bolt out. This will hold the wheel so it doesn't fall off when you take out the last bolt. Then you can take the wheel off with the pin in place and put the Winter wheel on over the pin. Even better is to have 2 locating pins).
I had almost the opposite experience with my a6. Better fuel consumption and less noise but I was going from a 255/40/19 to a 225/50/18 winter so that should help a bit with noise and consumption as it’s narrower and lighter. Like you it was Michelin ps3 to Dunlop winter sports.

I had almost the opposite experience with my a6. Better fuel consumption and less noise but I was going from a 255/40/19 to a 225/50/18 winter so that should help a bit with noise and consumption as it’s narrower and lighter. Like you it was Michelin ps3 to Dunlop winter sports.

Yes I guess going to a higher profile offsets some of the increased noise from a winter tyre. The Pirelli Sottozero 3 tyres are directional which limits the ability to move them around. Basically they have to stay on the same side of the car. I gave them about 5,000 miles of wear in Germany (in Winter) and then returned to the UK. I don't know whether this makes sense but they were louder back in the UK. My theory was that this was due to the camber being reversed (left verses right sided driving) and any slight wear associated with the camber. It might just be rubbish worn road surfaces in the UK though! I checked my Winter wheels and tyres out yesterday to make sure they are ready for switchover late October or early November depending on the weather. I foolishly took my Winters off too soon this year (March) and was caught out by heavy snow in Lincolnshire but actually the Summer tyres were fine with extreme caution.

I would say the rubbish worn UK roads mate :whistle2:
Concrete motorway surfaces are the worst for noise, summer or winter tyre.

I don't get your comment about directional tyres only being able to be fittred to one side of car...trying to work this out in my head, but surely a left rear could go on right front and vice versa, as long as it is fitted the right way round on the rim, being directional arrow facing forward?

Or am I being stupid? :wtf:

Ignore me, should have googled 1st....stupid it is then :bye:

Whereas asymmetrical tyres can be fitted on either side of the vehicle, directional tyres can only be rotated vertically (i.e. from front to back) otherwise the tread pattern will rotate in the wrong direction when mounted on a wheel on the other side of the car.

I just mean once a directional tyre is mounted on a rim you can’t switch sides

Purchased my RS3 in October 2011 and a set of Vredestein Wintrac Xtream tyres (on OE RS3 rims) the following month: these same Vredesteins will be going back on in late November and I'm 100% convinced will provide safe running in sub 7ºC temperatures for an 8th time:

Winter tyres RS3 P1000009 SNOW BLUEY 7473
:racer:

Last edited:
Purchased my RS3 in October 2011 and a set of Vredestein Wintrac Xtream tyres (on OE RS3 rims) the following month: these same Vredesteins will be going back on in late November and I'm 100% convinced will provide safe running in sub 7ºC temperatures for an 8th time:

View attachment 166436 View attachment 166437 View attachment 166438
wow, fair play, that is some excellent use out of them. Have heard very good things about vredenstein winters.
Gather as you have the jacks etc, that you swap over yourself?

Reactions: 45bvtc
Living in Switzerland at the mo and Pirelli All Season on my A3 were amazing last year. saw me though massive blizzards and performed well. Never had winter tires so don't actually know if they would have been any better but these were sublime. Iv said it somewhere before on this forum that for an S or RS car then All season won't be too good as its too powerful. But my 1.6tdi was fine with them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy All seasons again and fit to a new car.

Reactions: Phutters

View attachment 166436 View attachment 166437 View attachment 166438

The last comment is the one to note.....High performance summer tyres are rubbish at temperatures below 7 C for stopping distances, all around grip in wet and dry and in icy/snowy conditions are a total liability. Pirelli P Zero as shod on the S3 are not guaranteed below 7 C for cracking etc.
All season high performace tyres which are in short supply in the UK, but not in North America, will give you good performance in most winter conditions including light snow. The ones of note are the Pirelli P zero all season plus and the Continental DWS-06
The best tyre for those that live in areas subject to deep snow and icy conditions are winter tyres.
I personally run Pirelli P Zero All Season Plus year round on my S3 which offer a very high level of performance in all conditions but park the car when more than 2" of snow falls. I live in Vancouver B.C. which has a similar winter climate to Scotland and about 65% of all cars run all season and the balance are on winter tyres during the winter months. Not a summer tyre to be seen in winter weather, unless it is an ????? If you have an accident in winter weather and you have summer tyres your insurance will probably be invalid.
That is for the Vancouver coastal area, all mountain areas must have winter tyres by law.

Reactions: Ormesome, NevMan and 45bvtc
wow, fair play, that is some excellent use out of them. Have heard very good things about vredenstein winters.
Gather as you have the jacks etc, that you swap over yourself?

Better believe it, and a pit too; do ya think I just build 'UP'?
4417.gif

Pit

Reactions: TonkS3 and NevMan
The last comment is the one to note.....High performance summer tyres are rubbish at temperatures below 7 C for stopping distances, all around grip in wet and dry and in icy/snowy conditions are a total liability. Pirelli P Zero as shod on the S3 are not guaranteed below 7 C for cracking etc.
All season high performace tyres which are in short supply in the UK, but not in North America, will give you good performance in most winter conditions including light snow. The ones of note are the Pirelli P zero all season plus and the Continental DWS-06

100% agree
5187.gif

Our Audi Quattro drive train may be good but when wearing high performance summer tyres are 'F' useless when braking on snow.

Reactions: AlS3BE and NevMan
Girlfriend drives it a lot of the times so would make me feel better with better tires for winter
My wife has Continental WinterContact TS850 tyres on her A3. They are a great tyre and by all accounts the TS860 is even better.

I didn't bother fitting winter tyres last year. After a near miss on compacted snow - I decided not to take the risk this year.

I'm not buying new alloys and unfortunately, the TS860 is not available in 225/40/R18. Also the new 'TS860 S' are not available for my alloys size yet. So I'll probably go for the TS850 P - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Continental/WinterContact-TS-850-P.htm

Reactions: Rideen, 45bvtc and NevMan
Manage to get a new set of wheels and tyres. Went for the Pirelli sottozero 3. I should be replacing them at the end of October.