All season or winter

I’m going with them I think

Attachments

• C27912BE-E5B4-4F2D-A99A-C2E4B395ECB1.png
    C27912BE-E5B4-4F2D-A99A-C2E4B395ECB1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 252
Reactions: michael pash and NevMan
£520 of that site for 4 wheels

4 tyres or 4 wheels. Think I got a bit mixed up or misread something. It’s Late on Saturday night :wink:
Think what I meant to say was dealer wanting £419 for 1 wheel with tyre.

4 tyres or 4 wheels. Think I got a bit mixed up or misread something. It’s Late on Saturday night :wink:
Think what I meant to say was dealer wanting £419 for 1 wheel with tyre.

Yep, OEM wheels are not cheap, especially from dealers. You can get refurbed ones on eBay but that can be risky unless from well known source.

There is a German company that refurb and ship from Germany on eBay - ideal reifen. But still not cheap for a set depending on wheel size.

Obviously cheapest option is to swap tyres only as I have done before but a pain, but a lot cheaper than spare alloys.

Yep, OEM wheels are not cheap, especially from dealers. You can get refurbed ones on eBay but that can be risky unless from well known source.

There is a German company that refurb and ship from Germany on eBay - ideal reifen. But still not cheap for a set depending on wheel size.

Obviously cheapest option is to swap tyres only as I have done before but a pain, but a lot cheaper than spare alloys.

Yes that company is this one: https://www.original-wheelscompany.com/audi/

This firm is also on Ebay as: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/original-raeder?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

I bought my Winter wheels and tyres from them and was very pleased. Excellent quality and service.

Reactions: NevMan
… a pain???

My wife can swap her own tyres. We have tyre storage bags with handles. She lifts her tyres into the boot. Drives to the tyre depot. Pays £25 to the men for swapping the tyres on her alloys. No pain for her OR me.

I still have the alloys for my last car. Fitting them involved 1 1/2 hours of heavy lifting. But my new car has the GTI performance pack with bigger brake callipers. So my old 16inch alloys wont fit. They looked terrible too.

There are pros and cons to both methods - cost of alloys, physical ability to fit tyres, risk of injury, risk of damaging your own alloys, this would save me £50 a year, tyres can be swapped at any time. Versus my wife's method - tyres get balanced twice a year, costs £50 a year, other people do the hard work, risk of alloys being damaged, have to arrange to get the tyres changed.

I have a second set of tyre storage bags - £25 per set of 4 from VW. They keep me and the car clean. This year I'll be buying winter tyres only.

When I say a pain I was referring to tyre fitters scre*ing up the alloys!
My last car, I bought a set of re-furb'd OEM alloys that were powder coated, had them fitted...two damaged, had to send back to get re-done (pain)
Sold car, swapped back to original tyres (summer) and alloys, 1 x alloy damaged again (a different tyre fitter) - = another pain.

Winter tyres fitted and balanced to alloys much easier, but obviously costly initially, but you don't pay £50 to swap over and risk idiots damaging alloys, and you can (if you choose) fit yourself.

Don't get me wrong, I will probably just get winter tyres this year and swap over, as I have done in the past, and yes, I also have storage bags)

Screenshot 20181002 160101 Gallery
20181002 134914
My winter tyres and wheels have landed
Test fitted one today..
Mitchlin alpin 4... Can't wait to test them out in the winter :D

Reactions: NevMan, AlS3BE, Flying Scotsman and 3 others
Looks good.
Those Michelin’s doesn’t have much rim protection though or is it just the photos ?

The I went with 235 over 225 to offer a little more protection but it's still pretty boarder line - I'd prefer a little more if I'm honest!

Reactions: AlS3BE
Girlfriend had a blow out yesterday on motorway, so put space saver onit and took it to local tyre garage and he can’t get Michelin Alpin or continental ts 860 so I’m getting Pirelli sottozero 3 now

Is that normal haha

Attachments

• 04D6C74C-F375-4EF1-9C86-9DE31F63E57F.jpeg
    04D6C74C-F375-4EF1-9C86-9DE31F63E57F.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 230
That is driving on a flat tyre for some distance I would say. Surely alloys is damaged?

She said she didn’t, said she pulled over straight away. Don’t think it’s damaged it’s getting new tyre on today so I’ll see what the guy says

hopefully not. I suppose as such low profile not much sidewall so looks worse.
To be fair, on motorway, you can only pull over when safe to do so

Reactions: Samw12
Looks better now

Attachments

• 2389FF70-682B-4909-944D-88048F973543.jpeg
    2389FF70-682B-4909-944D-88048F973543.jpeg
    398 KB · Views: 201
much better :icon thumright: Have you gone straight to winters?

Ye Pirelli sottozero 3, only got one changed aat the moment, other 3 are getting done tomorrow

When do you guys are planning to change to winter tyres? Mine had arrived and eagerly waiting to swap them.

When do you guys are planning to change to winter tyres? Mine had arrived and eagerly waiting to swap them.

Normally I do mine around end of October but still to source a set.

I was planning on end of the month but with that blow out I might aswel change them altogether

Will wait for end of October but it seems temps are likely to be above 10’C on average

I tend to keep eye on temps and when drops around 7 swap over, but no real issue if earlier tbh. Does normally mean around end of Oct but who knows nowadays

Reactions: Fatbloke
Will swap them in 2 weeks time. Anyone got suggestions on how to store them. Planning to get some tyre bags and leave them in the shed. Should I get a small tyre rack?

Will swap them in 2 weeks time. Anyone got suggestions on how to store them. Planning to get some tyre bags and leave them in the shed. Should I get a small tyre rack?

Dunno about the UK but for 50 francs here in Switzerland the garage takes care of storage. I prefer this to getting the car dirty and clambering them in and out everywhere.

Dunno about the UK but for 50 francs here in Switzerland the garage takes care of storage. I prefer this to getting the car dirty and clambering them in and out everywhere.

From the tyre fitter around my area none provide storage.

Reactions: NevMan and Ormesome

Wish we had that here, but like other posts nobody seems to do it.

Some dealership does this. When I got my first set of wheels it included storage and them swapping twice a year for the first 2 years then it went to £120 a year for storage and swapping. At £120 I shoved them in my own garage and did it myself.

Some dealership does this. When I got my first set of wheels it included storage and them swapping twice a year for the first 2 years then it went to £120 a year for storage and swapping. At £120 I shoved them in my own garage and did it myself.

My dealership don’t have space, already asked last time, but will ask again

Thanks for heads up, one place I hadn’t tried!

I used them when I was in central London and didn’t have any space in my garage . Now I’ve moved out of the city and got more garage space I have got a rack for full wheels and tyres and do it myself . If I remember rightly you could take them away or get them to fit . Clearly then they are charging for fitting re balancing etc . I should add before anyone asks why I needed winters in London , I was making frequent trips from London to Austria where they were mandatory in the part that I visited .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does that include fitting every 6 months?

No if I remember correctly that’s just storage of tyres only . Delivered back to your local centre . Best to check with them .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk