130 tdi

banny

Reaction score
Hello everybody soon be my time to get my A4 now time to join the forum.
I have been to look at a 130 Avant Sport which is really nice.
I have been saving for ages for an A4 and now is the time.
I have drove it and it seems slow compared to my old 110 tdi Passat that is chipped to 150 bhp, my car is pretty quick, but the 130 sport seems really slow compared, the car does have full history and that and seems to have been looked after. so I am guessing this is how they are being a big moter and that.
Was also thinking maybee the EGR might be a bit blocked as they are prone to it on most TD engines especially when kept under 3k, maybee even MAF sensor.
Anyway I will be getting it chipped for sure as I cant have an A4 sport that is slower by a long way than my current Passat that has 250k on the clock.

Mmm, sounds odd. The A4 is smaller than the passat, so should be a bit lighter(unless it's quattro). Might be worth having it run on a set of rollers to see what actual bhp it's putting out. My 130 was pretty nippy, even in standard map.

It is an Avant though.
I am wondering if it is a 130 motor is defo a sport model then as it is slow slow, well compared to mine it is.
Guy seems genuine, how can I check it is a 130 then, have the reg so maybee ring audi customer service.

The sport dont make the 130 any quicker,its still 130.
Check the data sticker in the boot.

banny said:
It is an Avant though.
I am wondering if it is a 130 motor is defo a sport model then as it is slow slow,QUOTE]
Could be a faulty MAF,very common.
When my MAF went it went down to 105bhp.

Rung Audi is a 130, reckon it could be Maf sensor, then well thats fine as JabbaSport clean that as part of the £425 custom remap.
I knew the Sport option never made it any faster.

banny said:
Rung Audi is a 130, reckon it could be Maf sensor, then well thats fine as JabbaSport clean that as part of the £425 custom remap.
I knew the Sport option never made it any faster.
If the MAF is nacked cleaning it wont do anything.If your going to get it mapped i would put a new one on before.

You can clean them, I have cleaned two before, both worked fine after. Just use electrical contact cleaner available for Maplin.

banny said:
You can clean them, I have cleaned two before, both worked fine after. Just use electrical contact cleaner available for Maplin.

You can clean them,i cleaned mine and it did ****** all.
Cleaning a nacked one wont do a thing.

Ok, but did work for me, or maybee it wasn't the MAF then.
You have a nice A4 BTW.

banny said:
Ok, but did work for me, or maybee it wasn't the MAF then.
You have a nice A4 BTW.

Thanks but not for much longer.
I wouldnt wait for jabba to clean it,i would do it yourself just incase it dont work.
Will be a different machine once jabba have finished with it.

Try using a contact cleaning fibre glass pen from RS componets, use mine every day at work!!!

Jabba will do a "before" and "after" rolling road for you. If they find the power isn't what it should be on the "before" run, they'll have a look at it for you before they do the remap. They won't put a remap onto a car that isn't running correctly. A faulty MAF is a common problem on these motors.

banny said:
Hello everybody soon be my time to get my A4 now time to join the forum.
I have been to look at a 130 Avant Sport which is really nice.
I have been saving for ages for an A4 and now is the time.
I have drove it and it seems slow compared to my old 110 tdi Passat that is chipped to 150 bhp, my car is pretty quick, but the 130 sport seems really slow compared, the car does have full history and that and seems to have been looked after. so I am guessing this is how they are being a big moter and that.
Was also thinking maybee the EGR might be a bit blocked as they are prone to it on most TD engines especially when kept under 3k, maybee even MAF sensor.
Anyway I will be getting it chipped for sure as I cant have an A4 sport that is slower by a long way than my current Passat that has 250k on the clock.
If your Passat is chipped to 150 though the 130 Sport is bound to feel slow by comparison isn't it..??? Or am I missing something here..??

Chipping a car doesn't just bump up the figures, it improves pick up, throttle response and lengthens the useable power band which ust makes the car feel so much better.

If you get the 130 chipped it will put out near 170 horses and **** all over the Passat. The tuner can give the car the once over to make sure its all ok before adding the new the map.

How do you tell if the MAF is knackered? will VAGCOM tell you?

A4Quattro said:
How do you tell if the MAF is knackered? will VAGCOM tell you?

Unplug it and go for a quick spin,if performance is the same its ********.

I would think there is something wrong with the 130.Who chipped the 110 to 150,that seems like a good figure.

How did you undo the MAF i notice the torx bit is a tamper proof one, but my tamper proof set does not fit, the pin in the middle of the bolt head is too big for the hole in the torx bit.

You can use a small straight screwdriver at the side of the centre pin to undo.
If you want to test it just unplug the wire connector and drive away.You will know if its not broke as it will be slow.

I just used a set of Torx/security bits I bought from screwfix for about £7. Don't use a flat bladed screwdriver, you'll knacker the screw.

AndyMac said:
I just used a set of Torx/security bits I bought from screwfix for about £7. Don't use a flat bladed screwdriver, you'll knacker the screw.

Ive done this loads of times and never damaged the screw head.
Ive also used a flat blade screwdriver and a small hammer and tapped the pin off the screw.

james0808 said:
I would think there is something wrong with the 130.Who chipped the 110 to 150,that seems like a good figure.
Upsolute chipped, simon said its near 150bhp, plus have a FMIC aswell.

I have just compared a 130 Avant that I followed tonight he booted it away from me up a hill and I caught and passed him with ease, so maybee thats as fast as they are.

AndyMac said:
Well done, £7 well saved
I have been doing this for years before these tools was readily available.Got a set off ebay for £5.Still saved £2.:rockwoot:

banny said:
I have just compared a 130 Avant that I followed tonight he booted it away from me up a hill and I caught and passed him with ease, so maybee thats as fast as they are.
Until chipped.

banny said:
Does this mean I may have actually made a bit of sense earlier..?? Unusual but it does happen occasionally.

I just know I had an A3 2.0 TDI 170 for 10 days recently and despite power being similar this was noticably slower than my remapped A4. My car must be as heavy as a Sportback if not more so had to be down to bettr throttle response and pick up.

james0808 said:
Until chipped.
We know that James, I would not have a diesel now unless chipped. think I will try Jabbasport instead of Simon (great bloke) but I want the custom route this time.
My Passat is great but do get clutch shudder pulling from low revs in high gears.

banny said:
We know that James, I would not have a diesel now unless chipped. think I will try Jabbasport instead of Simon (great bloke) but I want the custom route this time.
My Passat is great but do get clutch shudder pulling from low revs in high gears.

If you want custom you could also try chipped-uk.£300 for a custom remap with before and after rolling road.They did mine and im very happy with it.
He is an advertiser on ukmk-iv and has loads of happy customers on there.

What sort of power figures do they get, I know Jabba quote upto 194 bhp, which sounds nice.

just spoke to jim at star performance, and way over 200Bhp can be achieved with a new turbo £999 and remap £499 both prices fitted!!

he said the torque would be scary..

I suggest going for a quattro if you are thinking of a remap, or anything more, or you'll not be able to put the power down.

banny said:
What sort of power figures do they get, I know Jabba quote upto 194 bhp, which sounds nice.

Quotes upto dont really mean anything.
I got 175bhp with my remap(not custom)was going to go and get it custom with my extra mods but no point now.I think with the diesels its more about torque than bhp.Cant remember what mine was now.Most make around 300ibft from chipped-uk i think.

Had generic, which is good, but with a better car like an Audi, would be more inclined to get custom as it is more suited to your individual engine not a happy medium from a range of 130 engines, if you get what I mean.

Sinny71 said:
I suggest going for a quattro if you are thinking of a remap, or anything more, or you'll not be able to put the power down.
Bit out of my price range I am afraid, would love one with full leather, maybee next time.
I think a sport model is a good step on the Audi ladder for me, its took me ages to save the money for it as is. I drove it and love, so happy for now, especially as I have wanted an Avant for ages.
Mcgoughs Quattro is stunning would love it but not rich enough.

banny said:
Bit out of my price range I am afraid, would love one with full leather, maybee next time.
I think a sport model is a good step on the Audi ladder for me, its took me ages to save the money for it as is. I drove it and love, so happy for now, especially as I have wanted an Avant for ages.
Mcgoughs Quattro is stunning would love it but not rich enough.
I know exactly what you mean mate and I'm very happy with my sport. Following a remap though you will need to be gentle with your right foot lol. Its all to easy to spin the wheels in 1st, 2nd and even 3rd if its damp.

My current Passat is the same spins 1st and second easy, so nothing I am not used to, I love it, tyres dont though.