Overtightened control arm bolt/nut. What to do now!!?

NiceblokeniceNfat

Reaction score
Ok well we've all had this I'm sure...couldn't get torque wrench into tight space to do up the bolts/nuts for upper front control arms.
50nm plus 1/4 turn... I researched and most people advised to estimate..so I did. 3 of the arms I probably went tighter than the spec but it's hard to judge using 2 spanners locked together, but those 3 were still tight and fighting me to not tighten further.... however the last one tightened so much that it started to get easier.. not good I think.
I'll add that once I could feel it getting easier I'd only gone about a 1/4 turn further so not much.
These are I think 10.9 grade proper bolts bought new not reused ones btw.

You clever guys out there in the know....what do you reckon. Will it be ok? or am I gonna have to take the strut out, undo all the new strut bolts that I've already torqued to spec etc.. to put another bolt/nut into this control arm.

Pls guys don't just read, try and help as this is serious... obviously your advice is much appreciated!

If there’s a chance something has stripped/snapped I’d definitely be taking it apart to check.

Ok ok yep it's looking that way... what about the other 3 arms that were very tight probably past spec, but they were still resisting more tightening and didn't get any easier like the other one in question...reckon they're still alright?

You think garages takes as much care over the correct torques? :whistle2:

Normal length half inch ratchet - tight as you can with one arm = 45Nm and with two arms 60NM :highly amused:

2 16mm spanners locked into each other.... 2 arms, what's that?!!! Haha..

Alright, again fellas...if that torqued past yield stretch bolt needs changing, what about the others, they ok? Sorry...I've just got the Mot Monday so needs sorting this weekend.
Or should I just ****** it all together and quit worrying...

Your other 3 should be fine albeit most likely over torqued. The one that went easy will have stripped the thread and will need replacing. 50nm isn't that much.

Reactions: NiceblokeniceNfat
Awwww crap... I've been reading about bolt/nut science for the last 6hrs...good Saturday night huh.. feels like I'm freaking out here.
I checked all for bolts for how much thread and one arm on the other side albeit didn't get any easier to tighten but the metal of the strut mount looks slightly deformed around the nut!!! All bolts are protruding about 1-2 threads so I only over torqued about 1/2 turn maybe...
- Should I just suck it up n replace all 4 bolts (again!)
- Take all the nuts off, possibly swap just the one bolt and replace all 4 nuts with threadlocker... yes I said it haha!
- or re the problem bolt...see if it'll resist tightening a little further, if so then undo the nut and re torque to 50nm approx with threadlocker.

Bare in mind.. if I replace any bolts I'll have to remove and reuse the top strut mount bolts with threadlocker... I can't buy then all new again as funds are tight atm.
I read somewhere that a lot of people just reuse most suspension bolts but without tightening the last 1/4 turn and apply threadlocker instead.

Awwww ****... I've been reading about bolt/nut science for the last 6hrs...good Saturday night huh.. feels like I'm freaking out here.
I checked all for bolts for how much thread and one arm on the other side albeit didn't get any easier to tighten but the metal of the strut mount looks slightly deformed around the nut!!! All bolts are protruding about 1-2 threads so I only over torqued about 1/2 turn maybe...
- Should I just suck it up n replace all 4 bolts (again!)
- Take all the nuts off, possibly swap just the one bolt and replace all 4 nuts with threadlocker... yes I said it haha!
- or re the problem bolt...see if it'll resist tightening a little further, if so then undo the nut and re torque to 50nm approx with threadlocker.

Bare in mind.. if I replace any bolts I'll have to remove and reuse the top strut mount bolts with threadlocker... I can't buy then all new again as funds are tight atm.
I read somewhere that a lot of people just reuse most suspension bolts but without tightening the last 1/4 turn and apply threadlocker instead.

As soon as your tightening something and it goes from tight to slack its game over, the thread has started stripping. Thread lock wont fix that. You would be aswel leaving the tight ones for now. If you lucky the thread will only have stripped on either the bolt or the nut and not both so might get away with only replacing either or, but personally I'd change them both for peace of mind. You don't want your bolt falling out your suspension as your going down a motorway etc

Reactions: LawrenceH and NiceblokeniceNfat
I appreciate your advice Scobie... I read somewhere that if the nuts look ok then you'd really need to only replace the bolts as it's the bolts that stretch.. sound right?
If I replace all 4 bolts and the one nut that may have stripped...what's your opinion on the top strut mounting bolts. I'll need to get the suspension out partially again to change the control arm bolts, so would it be ok to use the strut mounting bolts again with some threadlocker and just not tighten the last 1/4 turn, or replace all 6 of them (again!)?

I'm just thinking to change all 4 control arm bolts because if I'm going to TPS for just one bolt, I may as well get 4 for the piece of mind that they're tightened to the correct torque... albeit at the probable cost of reusing the strut bolts with threadlock maybe.

Sometimes the nuts can look ok but the thread is still damaged. I very much doubt you will have stretched the bolts 99/100 the thread strips as this is the weak point.
Unless your strut mounting bolts have been damaged or are designed as single use (like most engine block bolts) you should be fine to re use them for the life of the car. Personally I would never under torque the bolt then use thread lock to compensate for there not being enough tension to hold the nut on, always torque to the specified torque and use thread lock just to make sure it won't vibrate off if there is no other form of lock( spring washer, serated washer, nyloc nut etc). Not all nuts and bolts require thread lock usually only if the manual states it or there is history/ paranoia of them vibrating loose.

Hey...am I just freaking out unnecessarily?!
I got hold of new bolts today and went to start the job. Thought to myself, I'll just do a simple test first and had a go at tightening the nut of the one I thought I'd stripped.
I could be wrong of course but I assumed if it has stripped then it'd get easier. I did as before used my 2 spanners locked together and had a go at tightening the nut.
It was very tight but I was able to get about an 1/8 turn further until it get even tighter.....obviously I didn't want to push it too far.
What do you reckon....is this usual of a thread that's been stripped?
I was originally tightening the bolts in the cold and dark outside... is there some common symptom of a stripped thread other than removing and seeing it up close?
This is a big 10.9 grade bolt n nut...could I have stripped it with 2 7" spanners linked together? I'm no Hulk Hogan btw hahaha...

Reactions: scobie140
Hey...am I just freaking out unnecessarily?!
I got hold of new bolts today and went to start the job. Thought to myself, I'll just do a simple test first and had a go at tightening the nut of the one I thought I'd stripped.
I could be wrong of course but I assumed if it has stripped then it'd get easier. I did as before used my 2 spanners locked together and had a go at tightening the nut.
It was very tight but I was able to get about an 1/8 turn further until it get even tighter.....obviously I didn't want to push it too far.
What do you reckon....is this usual of a thread that's been stripped?
I was originally tightening the bolts in the cold and dark outside... is there some common symptom of a stripped thread other than removing and seeing it up close?
This is a big 10.9 grade bolt n nut...could I have stripped it with 2 7" spanners linked together? I'm no Hulk Hogan btw hahaha...
Sounds like you might have got away with it, possibly the area where the face of the bolt and nut starting to deforming rather than the thread stripping. I'd take it out and check for peace of mind, you don't want to take any chances when it comes to your suspension.
The only proper way is to take it out and check, sometimes it feels like its getting tight again but its just getting tight on the chewed up thread.
Temperature can make a difference but i'd doubt there would be a big enough swing in the ambient temp between the times you done it.
Its a sickening feeling tightening something up then just feeling the resistance disappear, its up their with kerbing an alloy. Your heart just sinks :tearsofjoy:
If its an older bolt then sometimes the grade isn't a hard and fast rule cause if its been through a load of heat cycles or tension & compression cycles, flexing etc then it can weaken the structure of the bolt.

Oh your just full of good news Scobie!! haha.... but I appreciate that rather than just hearing "yeah it'll be good go for it!!"
Your right re the area where the face of the nut is, as on the other side the nut didn't get easier to turn but the metal is slightly deformed now....I'll take a pic tomorrow. I'll add that on the side where I think it's stripped, the metal doesn't look deformed.
I can take the bolt out to check but then if/when I do, it'll need to be replaced as per the Audi instructions. Plus I'll have to remove the strut mounting bolts and yeah these 3 are stretch bolts (+1/4 turn) so should be replaced...but I don't have any spare so these will be put back in with threadlock minus the final stretch 1/4 turn... not the best scenario hence my reason for wanting to not remove them.

Haha yeah kerbing an alloy...I'm surrounded by tight 6'6" width restrictions here so have dinged a few...the heart does sink :(

Bolts are spik n span shiny new btw so no heat stretch cycles.

What do you reckon about this. Obviously I've got the hassle of changing these or this bolt so if it can be avoided hey that's great
So...what about taking off the nut, having a look at threads in nut & bolt...if all looks good then see if it'll tighten back up to torque spec (approx) but with some threadlock as I couldn't now do the final 1/4 turn to lock em.
Can't unfortunately take bolt all the way out as no space.....

Sounds like you might have got away with it, possibly the area where the face of the bolt and nut starting to deforming rather than the thread stripping. I'd take it out and check for peace of mind, you don't want to take any chances when it comes to your suspension.
The only proper way is to take it out and check, sometimes it feels like its getting tight again but its just getting tight on the chewed up thread.
Temperature can make a difference but i'd doubt there would be a big enough swing in the ambient temp between the times you done it.
Its a sickening feeling tightening something up then just feeling the resistance disappear, its up their with kerbing an alloy. Your heart just sinks :tearsofjoy:
If its an older bolt then sometimes the grade isn't a hard and fast rule cause if its been through a load of heat cycles or tension & compression cycles, flexing etc then it can weaken the structure of the bolt.

Ok what about this then.... forget everything I've said earlier, mostly.
Have I or have I not stripped the thread... it was nighttime and I was impatient to get finished and in as you do. Well your in Scotland so brave the weather better than a soppy southerner anyway.. but you get me.
I could've just tugged on it a bit harder and felt less resistance because I was flexing the muscles...innit :)

Went and had another look today...mind set on pulling them all out to replace.. then thought I'll count the threads.
The one that I could stripped only has about 1/2 thread more than the others... if I over torqued it then it's probably only by 1/2 turn maybe 3/4.. is that enough to strip thread...in this situation, control arms etc etc?
I had another little go at tightening it... yeah I'm stupid.. and got just a smidgen more until it was too tight.. remember I'm only using 2 spanners locked together, no big torque wrench or breaker bar..

I've already just changed a belt, tensioner + idler pulleys AND the crankshaft pulley when I probably didn't need to.. I can't keep replacing things when I might not need to... yes I feel stupid already :(

Ok what about this then.... forget everything I've said earlier, mostly.
Have I or have I not stripped the thread... it was nighttime and I was impatient to get finished and in as you do. Well your in Scotland so brave the weather better than a soppy southerner anyway.. but you get me.
I could've just tugged on it a bit harder and felt less resistance because I was flexing the muscles...innit :)

Went and had another look today...mind set on pulling them all out to replace.. then thought I'll count the threads.
The one that I could stripped only has about 1/2 thread more than the others... if I over torqued it then it's probably only by 1/2 turn maybe 3/4.. is that enough to strip thread...in this situation, control arms etc etc?
I had another little go at tightening it... yeah I'm stupid.. and got just a smidgen more until it was too tight.. remember I'm only using 2 spanners locked together, no big torque wrench or breaker bar..

I've already just changed a belt, tensioner + idler pulleys AND the crankshaft pulley when I probably didn't need to.. I can't keep replacing things when I might not need to... yes I feel stupid already :(
Sorry I've been busy and not on the last few days. How did you get on?
I try to keep all my car maintenance to the spring/ summer unless its essential, I've spent too many days/ nights out in the freezing cold and rain under cars haha.

Ha yep I hear you re "this ain't the weather for outside car fixin!"... normally so do I... but new 1st baby has been taking a lot of my time over the summer esp... and I thought...yeah I'll do those arms a few weeks before the mot runs out... that was the start of October and I'm still here..haha
Seriously walking up the hill with a pram laden down by supermarket produce (+ huge baby) is really starting to take its toll!!!

Well as per my most recent post that's where I am.... thinking hey... counting threads they look the same...more or less.. I over torqued everything a bit most likely, and if any thread stripping has gone on, could it have happened by going that extra 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn.... with 2 spanners linked together?
It's not that I don't wanna do the job.. haha yeah of course I don't, it'd be quite a short change of the bolts really... but my slight worry is that to change these possibly not stripped control arm bolts... I'm having to reuse the top strut mount TTY stretch bolts once I've removed them and put back in with a bit of threadlock...as I don't have replacements. This isn't good I think. But maybe isn't that bad either who knows?

If there's still a chance that my control arm bolts are over torqued (is it bad to be over torqued??!) and possibly one slightly stripped, I suppose I could order some new strut mount bolts for Friday..
Honestly...my mildly educated hunch is telling me to chill and see how it goes... maybe take a look at the bolt every now n then..
I rescheduled my MOT from Friday to Saturday afternoon.

Hey man no worries about being busy with other things.... I appreciate another voice out here in the dark, a more learned opinion.