Auto Wipers running even when no rain

Dirty Helmet

Reaction score
Hi, so I have a 2015 A3 S-Line with auto wipers, when I turn them on at the lowest sense setting even when it's not raining they seem to still wipe... does anyone know whats up with my wipers and if there is a fix? I have the sensors and everything.

Dirt on the windscreen in front of the sensor can cause it to think the screen is wet. Clean the area in front of the sensor. Alternatively, a faulty seal around the sensor can allow condensation to form which will also fool the sensor. Check for this. The setting for auto-wipers is one click up from off

Last edited:
Dirt on the windscreen in front of the sensor can cause it to think the screen is wet. Clean the area in front of the sensor. Alternatively, a faulty seal around the sensor can allow condensation to form which will also fool the sensor. Check for this. The setting for auto-wipers is one click up from off

Windscreen is spotless atm, not sure about the faulty seal, seems ok from what I see.

I just turn it off completely when it’s not raining to avoid spurious wipes - it’s not hard for just one click of the stalk, avoids any annoyance. It’s not like auto headlights whereby you’ll forget to turn them on, if it’s raining you’ll just click them into auto.

Reactions: Ron240
I just turn it off completely when it’s not raining to avoid spurious wipes - it’s not hard for just one click of the stalk, avoids any annoyance. It’s not like auto headlights whereby you’ll forget to turn them on, if it’s raining you’ll just click them into auto.
This is exactly what I do too. :thumbs up:

So are your auto wipers doing the same as mine?

You can disable the rain sensor using the mmi.

Reactions: Phutters
....... 1 click up is the auto position so yes.

Very strange. I’d check for condensation in the sensor (you can see it if you look in from outside). Has your car had a replacement windscreen? Sometimes the seal around the sensor is compromised by a replacement screen. Only other thing I can think of is a wiring fault of some sort.

So are your auto wipers doing the same as mine?
I have found on most cars I have ever had (including this one), I get random wipes for no apparent reason with it always set to auto. Not constant wiping but certainly random unexplained ones which are likely as others say, due to dirt or whatever. For this reason I only turn the wipers to auto when it’s actually raining.

I have found on most cars I have ever had (including this one), I get random wipes for no apparent reason with it always set to auto. Not constant wiping but certainly random unexplained ones which are likely as others say, due to dirt or whatever. For this reason I only turn the wipers to auto when it’s actually raining.

Yes I get occasional random wipes but not often enough to bother me. I’ve assumed it was due to the sensor becoming confused by changing light levels, dirt or detecting genuine spots of rain.

Reactions: Pook
You can disable the rain sensor using the mmi.
Indeed you can.

I disabled mine within a few of days of getting the car two years ago, and I haven't turned it back on since. Drove me nuts, so it did - wiping when I didn't want it to, and not wiping when I did.

I have such fond memories of driving dozens and dozens of cars without rain sensors over the years and how much fun it was deciding for myself when to turn the wipers on and off that I thought I'd give it another go for old times' sake.

Turns out I haven't lost the knack at all.

Yours

A Victorian dad

Reactions: Ron240