Milltek, Resonated or Non-resonated?

Turbo Lag FTW

Hate those none insured you know who types
Reaction score
Carlisle, Cumbria. Not Geordie nor Scotch!
Hey guys, I got a 1.8T and Im lookin to get a full Milltek exhaust setup and was wondering which one to get, the resonated or non-resonated version. I dont do many motorway miles, so to be honest noise isnt a real issue as most of my journey time is 45mins to 1 hour tops.

I have tried to find sound samples for both setups and have had no luck so feedback would be very helpful.
Also anyone got free flow cat system by milltek and how much does it affect Insurance rates?

How does the sound of the resonated pipes sound compared to the stock exhausts. Will be making the same choice soon too Mr Turbo Lag ;)

I was thinking on going for the non resonated in the hope it will have a nice powerfull sounding note

do a search.
i have a resonated and it is much louder than stock.
it actually gets quieter after 3000rpm though.
can be a pain when you have loads of people in the car who want to talk!

not taking it off though!!

as for insurance, I swapped to adrian flux and my insurance dropped.
miltek, coilovers, intake, brakes, wheels and s4 bumpers.
I can stick a few other things on under the same terms as well

I have the resonated one, it's louder / deeper than standard but it's not what you'd call loud.
My mate had a standard BMW 320 coupe and that was really loud on the standard exhaust.
The Milltek is very subtle, but then does come into a bit more volume when you floor it.
I think the non-resonated would be too loud, for a grown up like us! The loud stuff is for Saxos / 106's & Clios! (******** that wake me up in the morning!)

jcb said:
do a search.
i have a resonated and it is much louder than stock.
it actually gets quieter after 3000rpm though.
can be a pain when you have loads of people in the car who want to talk!

not taking it off though!!

as for insurance, I swapped to adrian flux and my insurance dropped.
miltek, coilovers, intake, brakes, wheels and s4 bumpers.
I can stick a few other things on under the same terms as well

So resonated is loud enuff huh, im past the age of wanting a really loud exhaust like those clowns in their hairdressers cars. My younger brother has a nice powerflow exhaust on his 318 BMW and its sounds spot on unlike his neighbour who has a 106 and a big bore noise box that makes the car sound real loud, but then it also shows the lack of power when his exhaust is loud and and the car is moving at snails pace.

And I may need to get rid of tesco insurance as I doubt they will like the idea of my car having non oem parts.

it is louder than OEM, and people do notice it straight awaym but it doesn't sound like a chavved up saxo at town speeds, it is when you go through the gears and particularly between 2-3500 rpm that you will notice it,
At motorway speeds/revs it is louder as you would expect, but then you just turn the radio up.

I thought it would p1ss me off after a while but I forgot about it completely.
It is also so much better made than the tat you can buy and even fits better than the Audi one!!

I've had one fitted for about 2 weeks now and Im pretty happy with it. Dont bother with non-resonated, unless you want to sound like a tractor and look a bit silly.

As echoed above, the sound is subtle at town speeds and increases at motorway speeds - not intrusive, just the right amount.

Some people have a wee bit of trouble with the fitment, my audi dealer had to adjust the hangers to get the fitment right, but nothing serious.

Im with Elephant and have had a few modded cars with them. They're happy enough with general mods - think I was £15 a year more with the milltek fitted.

Have you got your credit card handy? :icon_thumright:

N

Anyone got a resonated one fitted to their 2.8 30v? If so, what's it like to live with?

I would say that when cruising at motorway speeds on my 1.8T, it's just as quiet or the same as the standard one. It's only when you accelerate or load it up through the gears that it is louder.
It is by far the quietest aftermarket exhaust I have had, including numerous Magnex (on turbo and normally aspirated cars) and a Mongoose on my 200SX.
Also, my de-cat didn't really make it aby louder as it would of on a NA engine'd car.
If you do want something loud-ish I don't know if the non-res would be too much, but maybe look to other brands.
I fitted mine with a mate, and the fit is good, just that there may be too much scope for side-play, which I eliminated with cable ties done right up and snipped away, one or two either side of the hanger rubbers once a nice central position was found. Easy!

Thx for all the replies guys, gonna opt for the resonated when I can afford it. Dunno wether to fit myself, my local exhaust experts or take a trip down to AwesomeGTI in Manchester. Hoping to get before or around June, having diagnostic check on ABS system tomorrow as the light has reappeared along with the awful vibration noise when light braking.

Hopefully the problem isnt the pump or its a killer £400+ bill. <<< Just had it diagnosed today and 2 sensors required cleaning and realligning. What a relief and now I can look forward to getting my Milltek in May :icon_thumright: