Drive select observations

Han4mi

Reaction score
I've been wondering how much difference do the various drive modes make and did a few tests to see if it's worth switching between them.

My commute to work is pretty much the same every day and I tend to cover the route with the same speed and time. When I got the car I've been driving in efficency a lot and changed to dynamic whenever I was up for some spirited driving.

I've done this for several days and the results are pretty much the same with room for marginal error (+/- 5%).

In efficency, I get fuel consumption at around 6.3l/100km, which is 44.8mpg:

Efficency

In dynamic
, I get 6.5l/100km, which is 43.5 mpg:

Dynamic

Honestly, I thought there would be more difference between the 2 modes. The result I got clearly shows that there are barely any noticable benefits in fuel consumption, so using the driving modes is pointless, right?

I think there is no definite answer and it depends on how you drive and what you need from your car. In my opinion, the dynamic mode (gearbox in D, not S!) suits the car perfectly and this is how it should feel at all times. The heavier steering wheel, more responsive throttle and increased sound make the S3 as sporty as it should be. I also have a feeling that Quattro engages more quickly in this mode, as the car feels precise and more "planted" to the ground.

Efficency simply tunes the car down and makes it dull. The main differences I observed are the obviously lazy throttle response, quicker upshifts (not by much, I mostly noticed that the car stays in the 6th gear a bit longer, but If the conditions are right I just manually upshift to 7th) and tuned down climate control. The light steering wheel is ok for low speeds, but I really hate it when going a bit faster. Doesn't give me a good feel of what the car is doing and feels wobbly at times. Coasting can be a benefit, but it's much better to keep the car in a gear with minimal throttle input (easy to do when you have the current fuel consumption gauge displayed).

When driving in Dynamic, I also love the fact that you don't have to cycle through the drive modes when you feel like overtaking or having fun. The "*" switch on the steering wheel is hit or miss and randomly doesn't work for me. All you have to do is flick the gearbox into "S" and the car is at its best almost instantly.

Do I think that the drive modes are pointless? Not at all. It depends on your driving style. If you tend to be more aggresive, it will be easier to use the efficency mode when you want to save some fuel. The car will be a bit quieter with the flaps closed and a light steering wheel can be beneficial for longer journeys.

As for me - I'm keeping mine in Dynamic from now on! :)

Reactions: AllStar and Jcbmally
I don't like steering in dynamic as I find it too heavy.

I find efficiency can help but you really do have to utilise the coasting functionality. On the right roads I can get to speed and coast for like I don't know, a few hundred metres I suppose. But yes. Its so unresponsive really...

I drove in efficiency basically all of the time for several thousand miles or something but now I just generally stay in auto drive select. I cant say my mpg is any different overall tbh. For motorway journeys though I've seen no difference.

This is PFL so 6 gear sfronic and I've never got over 40.5 for a journey. That was once, I did 39.5 the other day over 180 miles which I was v happy with.

I've been wondering how much difference do the various drive modes make and did a few tests to see if it's worth switching between them.

My commute to work is pretty much the same every day and I tend to cover the route with the same speed and time. When I got the car I've been driving in efficency a lot and changed to dynamic whenever I was up for some spirited driving.

I've done this for several days and the results are pretty much the same with room for marginal error (+/- 5%).

In efficency, I get fuel consumption at around 6.3l/100km, which is 44.8mpg:

View attachment 172749

In dynamic
, I get 6.5l/100km, which is 43.5 mpg:

View attachment 172750

Honestly, I thought there would be more difference between the 2 modes. The result I got clearly shows that there are barely any noticable benefits in fuel consumption, so using the driving modes is pointless, right?

I think there is no definite answer and it depends on how you drive and what you need from your car. In my opinion, the dynamic mode (gearbox in D, not S!) suits the car perfectly and this is how it should feel at all times. The heavier steering wheel, more responsive throttle and increased sound make the S3 as sporty as it should be. I also have a feeling that Quattro engages more quickly in this mode, as the car feels precise and more "planted" to the ground.

Efficency simply tunes the car down and makes it dull. The main differences I observed are the obviously lazy throttle response, quicker upshifts (not by much, I mostly noticed that the car stays in the 6th gear a bit longer, but If the conditions are right I just manually upshift to 7th) and tuned down climate control. The light steering wheel is ok for low speeds, but I really hate it when going a bit faster. Doesn't give me a good feel of what the car is doing and feels wobbly at times. Coasting can be a benefit, but it's much better to keep the car in a gear with minimal throttle input (easy to do when you have the current fuel consumption gauge displayed).

When driving in Dynamic, I also love the fact that you don't have to cycle through the drive modes when you feel like overtaking or having fun. The "*" switch on the steering wheel is hit or miss and randomly doesn't work for me. All you have to do is flick the gearbox into "S" and the car is at its best almost instantly.

Do I think that the drive modes are pointless? Not at all. It depends on your driving style. If you tend to be more aggresive, it will be easier to use the efficency mode when you want to save some fuel. The car will be a bit quieter with the flaps closed and a light steering wheel can be beneficial for longer journeys.

As for me - I'm keeping mine in Dynamic from now on! :)
Good review buddy. I agree regarding the drive modes, I usually kept mine in Dynamic Engine noise in Comfort) and I can say for sure the Efficiency mode made minimal difference regarding mpg.

Reactions: Leevr
I tend to use auto or individual more. Especially with ACC I think eco is a bit lumpy. Dynamic keeps the revs too high for me in normal driving.

I tend to use auto or individual more. Especially with ACC I think eco is a bit lumpy. Dynamic keeps the revs too high for me in normal driving.

When you enter dynamic flick your gear selector down, it will change the gearbox from S to D and won't hold the gears anymore. When you want to overtake or have some fun you can flick it back to S.

Reactions: Jcbmally
When you enter dynamic flick your gear selector down, it will change the gearbox from S to D and won't hold the gears anymore. When you want to overtake or have some fun you can flick it back to S.

Cheers will give it a go!

The only times I'd be on Efficiency is when I'm running out of fuel lol Otherwise, I'm always on Individual with everything on Dynamic except for steering. But I think it all depends on how much city vs highway your commute is? Would imagine Efficiency would have much greater impact if you do mostly city driving?

Efficiency mode is a novelty. just stick to Dynamic

Reactions: Jcbmally and Han4mi
As a rule, I don’t use Efficiency as I hate it.
However, the twice I’ve experimented with it were on the section of the A9 in Scotland which, between Perth and Inverness, is entirely covered by average speed cameras at either 60 or 70mph and is over 110 miles long.
This returned something like 45mpg compared with sub-40mpg in Dynamic (only using Sport occasionally).
However, in normal day to day driving it makes less of a difference.
Therefore the type of journey makes a difference.
My “default” setting is a blend of Auto / Dynamic / Comfort settings in Individual as my daily commute is just a steady 50mph average for 20 miles.
I do prefer Dynamic steering though as the other settings are too vague.

I must be doing something really wrong. How are you guys seeing 40+mpg with the s3?
I barely see 30 on long runs holding cruise control at 70mph.

Reactions: richard skilbeck
I must be doing something really wrong. How are you guys seeing 40+mpg with the s3?

Mine is the facelift model and has the 7 speed dsg. The extra gear makes a big difference. What's yours?

Reactions: Audi Bairn
As a rule, I don’t use Efficiency as I hate it.
However, the twice I’ve experimented with it were on the section of the A9 in Scotland which, between Perth and Inverness, is entirely covered by average speed cameras at either 60 or 70mph and is over 110 miles long.
This returned something like 45mpg compared with sub-40mpg in Dynamic (only using Sport occasionally).
However, in normal day to day driving it makes less of a difference.
Therefore the type of journey makes a difference.
My “default” setting is a blend of Auto / Dynamic / Comfort settings in Individual as my daily commute is just a steady 50mph average for 20 miles.
I do prefer Dynamic steering though as the other settings are too vague.

I agree, the route makes a difference. I also think that driving on the same roads everyday lets you plan ahead and squeeze the most out of the gas tank (stop accelerating a few hundred meters before you hit a corner etc.). Efficiency also makes it easy to control how hard you're on the gas, the car is more precise in dynamic.

Have you run a diagnostic on it? I was still getting mid 30s even with misfires and resulting "holding back" by the ecu

Mine’s a 2 year old FL.
Bear in mind the 40+ I’m quoting is on an abnormally efficient drive over a couple of hours.
My current commute of 20 miles / 30 mins each way I’m getting 35 at nice steady speeds.
My previous commute, also 20 miles / 30 mins, was on back roads at varying speeds and I was lucky to hit 30mpg.

Efficiency mode is rubbish. Made no difference at all to fuel economy from my tests (my car is a manual), it just made the throttle feel all spongey and the cruise control much slower to make significant speed changes. It made no difference at all to mpg driving at the same constant speed in either mode. I guess it may help a bit if there is a lot of speeding up and slowing down especially with DSG. But, I could drive that way if I choose without needing a stupid button to do it for me. Gimmick.

Dynamic mode, permanently.

Reactions: Jcbmally and S32B
wow I was getting 32 in and around town when I had my S3...but it was a manual. Doing the same with the s-tronic A5 is around 27-28 even though the books figures were meant to be better than the S3!!!

Last edited:
I achieved 30.5 in my PFL (so no 7th gear) the other day over 180 miles, average speed was high at 67 (which is high for an average). So surprising that you can't even see 30, I cruise at 77 usually and basically never have had below 30 average.

Got a facelift. Maybe it’s still breaking in as only got 3ks or so on the clock.

Got a facelift. Maybe it’s still breaking in as only got 3ks or so on the clock.

Mine has around 4k miles and the mpg was great from the start. Don't know what's up with all the "breaking in" to be honest.

Must be my heavy right foot then.
Last a6 struggling to get 40mpg till about 10k then it was consistently 45mpg+ and on long runs it easily got 50+.

Must be my heavy right foot then.
Last a6 struggling to get 40mpg till about 10k then it was consistently 45mpg+ and on long runs it easily got 50+.

Maybe it gets better over time, I haven't had the chance to test it yet. The best mpg I got so far was 54.5 mpg but that was granny driving just to see what the car is capable of. Anyway I'm super happy with the gas milage I'm getting on this car, way better than I expected. I was a bit worried when I read the reviews before my purchase, most of them quoted bad mpg on the S3.

Maybe it gets better over time, I haven't had the chance to test it yet. The best mpg I got so far was 54.5 mpg but that was granny driving just to see what the car is capable of. Anyway I'm super happy with the gas milage I'm getting on this car, way better than I expected. I was a bit worried when I read the reviews before my purchase, most of them quoted bad mpg on the S3.

Tried the granny driving and got about 33 ish.
Maybe it’s just the gauge. Last tank was a new record for me as I got just over 300 miles.

PFL and Hong Kong 90% city driving here... Lucky to get even 240 miles for a tank no matter which mode lol

Reactions: AlS3BE and Audi Bairn
It definitely will loosen up around the 3,000 mile mark. I noticed a bit of a difference after that.

Reactions: AG1996, AlS3BE and Jcbmally
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read that the engine will only be in dynamic setting if you set it every time. If you start the car and it was previously set in dynamic, it reverts to the auto until you reselect dynamic.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read that the engine will only be in dynamic setting if you set it every time. If you start the car and it was previously set in dynamic, it reverts to the auto until you reselect dynamic.

Correct. various threads on here that point towards that. I think it is due to safety aspects....

Correct. various threads on here that point towards that. I think it is due to safety aspects....

When I start my car and it was previously set to dynamic, it still stays in dynamic with the difference being that the gearbox is in D not S. All I have to do is flick the gear selector back and it goes into S, which makes the car as sporty as it can be (just like cycling through the drive modes all over again). Isn't this the case for you as well?

Last edited:
When I start my car and it was previously set to dynamic, it still stays in dynamic with the difference being that the gearbox is in D not S. All I have to do is flick the gear selector back and it goes into S, which makes the car as sporty as it can be (just like cycling through the drive modes all over again). Isn't this the case for you as well?

It will say it is in dynamic but it actually isn't. D & S are just the gearbox modes for the S-Tronic. Nothing to do with Drive Select... Unless someone more informed than me wants to correct me?

PFL and Hong Kong 90% city driving here... Lucky to get even 240 miles for a tank no matter which mode lol
Wouldn’t think of driving in HK, way too busy for my liking. I like my twisty country roads. Every time I go back I think it will be so much more convenient if I hired or borrowed a car then I think parking will be a pain in my a$$ so give up on that idea. China is probably the worse place I’ve seen driving.

It will say it is in dynamic but it actually isn't. D & S are just the gearbox modes for the S-Tronic. Nothing to do with Drive Select... Unless someone more informed than me wants to correct me?

It definitely is in dynamic. The steering is heavy, quattro is more aggresive, the engine sound is louder. The only thing that changes is the gearbox/engine. If I want full dynamic again, I just go into S.

As Ormesome said, I'm also of the opinion that the car's engine will be in Auto, not full dynamic.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Ormesome