Milltek exhaust rear silencer

MaxBoostMRC

Reaction score
Hi can I have people’s thoughts on this rear exhaust silencer.

My understanding of exhausts is you want the gas to have the smoothest and straights path out of the exhaust as possible so there is no turbulence.

So when I seen this milltek exhausts at the Autosport International for the golf R mk7 I was asking my self why would milltek do this. It does look a easy way to make the exhaust and maybe cheaper but this is meant to be one of the top performance exhaust manufacturers in Europe.

Looking forward to hearing people’s views on this.

Attachments

• 9B85BDD9-BACC-4CC0-BD5D-8943815BEB8B.jpeg
    9B85BDD9-BACC-4CC0-BD5D-8943815BEB8B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 507
I wouldn’t say that’s them trying to be cheap. If they were they would just have an empty box that split to the 4 tailpipes. I reckon that’s to reduce noise and maybe even flow.
All the restriction and turbulence is more upstream in a turbo car. The turbo is very restrictive and then the cat. Very little to gain by the time you get to the back box.

Actually I read an article once that was explaining how exhausts work. The gasses do not come out of the engine in a steady stream (of course) and there is a certain design to the exhaust system that works with wave technology to in effect suck the gasses out. In fact a straight smooth pipe (or even no pipe at all) would not be the most efficient way for the exhaust to operate.

Actually I read an article once that was explaining how exhausts work. The gasses do not come out of the engine in a steady stream (of course) and there is a certain design to the exhaust system that works with wave technology to in effect suck the gasses out. In fact a straight smooth pipe (or even no pipe at all) would not be the most efficient way for the exhaust to operate.
That wave your talking about is called exhaust scavenging and works on n/a and supercharged cars but not to sure about turbos as that’s in the way for it to have a effect. I might not be correct tho.

And in the USA they have the exhaust strait out the bonnet on there highly tuned cars. Same at Ten Of The Best, the shortest route and less back pressure the better for turbo cars. But again I could be wrong. Would be strange why they would do that for no gain.