Crunch time on the S3....Opinions wanted

Just my opinion but I would never buy a new car when a new model was coming out shortly. It's so much money to just throw away. Not only will you lose in normal depreciation but the new model effect will take an even bigger chunk out of the price of your S3. No amount of discount would make it worthwhile for me. If you don't care about the money or are just thinking about monthly payments because you won't buy after the 3yr PCP deal, then how about the thought that in about a years time you will be driving a car that is outdated, every time a new model S3 goes past you will look at it enviously and the want/desire to change will kick in again! I would renew the warranty, keep for 1 more year but put an order in for the new A3/S3. Be one of the 1st to get that model. I know nothing about the M240i so I cant offer opinion on it!

Actually this can be quite far off the truth (most of this post is to be fair), the "new model effect" can actually mean an uptake in the previous models sales. Mainly due to lack of discounts in first 12 months but also decent specs become rare and the old model (if good) is a known quantity and some people wait.

"If you don't care about money" then actually buy the new model at nearly list price because you cant stand the thought of someone pulling up next to you in the latest model....if that bothers you then give up owning cars as there will always be a facelift round the corner and a newer new model out in a decade. In fact if buying an S3 don't bother just in case you see an RS3 on the roads....

OP - have you obtained a early settlement figure from them for now? Be good to know where you stand and then compare against selling prices and WBAC etc to get a feel for the value. The last 8 months on a PCP should normally see you paying off more than the depreciation but if you are looking at extending the warranty if keeping it, will that be worth the £650 up until October?

It's difficult to advise as it's really down to you, I get the feeling you want to change and so I would suggest getting values in now for your current S3 and compare to early settlement figure. If this gives you equity then look at the figures you have for deposit and monthly budget and then look to see what you can get for that. Be it an M240i, the FL S3 deals about or something else. The M140i as mentioned is another option, as to is the Cupra if you can get over any badge snobbery.

The M2 CP has some very good deals about, if you haven't already go and drive one of these and see if you forgot about the interior issue...

Actually this can be quite far off the truth (most of this post is to be fair), the "new model effect" can actually mean an uptake in the previous models sales. Mainly due to lack of discounts in first 12 months but also decent specs become rare and the old model (if good) is a known quantity and some people wait.

"If you don't care about money" then actually buy the new model at nearly list price because you cant stand the thought of someone pulling up next to you in the latest model....if that bothers you then give up owning cars as there will always be a facelift round the corner and a newer new model out in a decade. In fact if buying an S3 don't bother just in case you see an RS3 on the roads....

Its Friday morning and I haven't had coffee yet, so i am really struggling to identify if this is a real post or if it is spam and just trying to get one's emotions boiling! Either way, what a load of tosh! Firstly, your post relates more to Audi sales than to the needs of this particular buyer. I'm sure the OP doesn't give one dam about how many S3's are sold in its last few months as an 8V model. He is NOT an Audi salesman! This person WILL care about having the best bang for his buck, but also he specifically asked for financial advice, which I feel you are doing but only from one angle. An old model is always going to be worth less than a new model. Fact! any simple Google search will show you this and it will produce various studies that have analysed this factor! If you look at a 2012 8P S3 vs a 2013 8V S3 then the prices are different. This is not due to the 8P having a sunroof and the 8V not! it is due to the 8P being older version and model! And this is comparing a model that is older than the instant effect a new model brings along in current present times, not looking at past models. We could even look at the 8V PFL vs FL and it would be different. I agree that the 8V end of line production will have limited editions, free paint, super go fast stripes never seen before on an 8V, but its all marketing tosh! Unless you like the model and want to keep the car for a long time then i don't see the point in getting an older model. Each to their own, yes it will be cheaper, yes you may have more options as standard, but i still stand by the fact that when that new S3 comes out, looks amazing, fresh, new, and you're at the traffic lights next to it, your thinking "dam I'm paying only 20pounds a month less and i have this old model"

Its Friday morning and I haven't had coffee yet, so i am really struggling to identify if this is a real post or if it is spam and just trying to get one's emotions boiling! Either way, what a load of tosh! Firstly, your post relates more to Audi sales than to the needs of this particular buyer. I'm sure the OP doesn't give one dam about how many S3's are sold in its last few months as an 8V model. He is NOT an Audi salesman! This person WILL care about having the best bang for his buck, but also he specifically asked for financial advice, which I feel you are doing but only from one angle. An old model is always going to be worth less than a new model. Fact! any simple Google search will show you this and it will produce various studies that have analysed this factor! If you look at a 2012 8P S3 vs a 2013 8V S3 then the prices are different. This is not due to the 8P having a sunroof and the 8V not! it is due to the 8P being older version and model! And this is comparing a model that is older than the instant effect a new model brings along in current present times, not looking at past models. We could even look at the 8V PFL vs FL and it would be different. I agree that the 8V end of line production will have limited editions, free paint, super go fast stripes never seen before on an 8V, but its all marketing tosh! Unless you like the model and want to keep the car for a long time then i don't see the point in getting an older model. Each to their own, yes it will be cheaper, yes you may have more options as standard, but i still stand by the fact that when that new S3 comes out, looks amazing, fresh, new, and you're at the traffic lights next to it, your thinking "dam I'm paying only 20pounds a month less and i have this old model"

:D It is ironic you use the word tosh a lot ;) My response was to your specific points, I responded to OPs specific queries separately. You brought up the 8P vs 8V pricing aspect, well just using Autotrader you have 62 plate 8P vs 63 plate 8V and price is around £1k-£1,250 difference between £15k-£16.25k. Is that the price difference you refer to? that after 6/7 years that's the main difference? And will that be partly down to the years difference in age as well.

Clearly you have a perception of how you would react if you bought an "older" S3 and saw another "newer" S3 on the road. That's fair and is your opinion, but doesn't mean everyone thinks like that. Like I said if it bothers you that much why wouldn't you buy an RS3?

Also given you have no firm details yet on the new S3, no residual value information, no confirmed specs or looks then it is quite bold of you to state all of the above as facts.

But end of the day OP will have their own take on things which may be different again :icon thumright:

Like I said if it bothers you that much why wouldn't you buy an RS3?

Totally different argument. Do stay on track...

Just my opinion, there will people out there like yourself who disagree. Personally, like i have said 3 times now, i could not spend around 35-40k on a car that was largely introduced in 2012 and is an outgoing model. No specs of the new A3/S3 have been released but even if it is rubbish then i would prefer to change models/brands than go for something older. I see you have an S3 on order at the moment. I hope you will be happy with your purchase. :icon thumright: ( i do not mean that sarcastically!)

I think with cars like the s3 new models don’t really effect values of the older models. My wife had a march 14 plate tt amplified Black edition, got a great price with it being one of the last and 18 months down the line the new tt with its massive price increase had been selling slowly and we ended up getting massive money for it out of audi as they had people asking for the older model. Only time I’ve had a car from new, paid minimal deposit and had massive equity at 18 months old. I think late fl 310 s3’s will retain really good money for a good few years. Not so sure about the 300 bhp wltp versions, can’t help think they’ll be seen as the one to avoid so in this instance I’d say stay with older s3 for now

Well , I drove the facelift TT yesterday and a new A7 as they have some fantastic deals on them at the moment which makes for attractive pcp deals.

Both good cars in different ways, the tech and interior in the A7 was on another level and the TT is a great looking car albeit slightly ruined by the new emission regulations.

Alas, neither are for me. The A7 is just overkill for me and I know I would be bored of the drive in a few weeks (more of a car to be driven in than to drive). The TT although great to look at wasn’t as nice to drive as my S3 saloon, I think it is just the perfect balance of practicality, driving enjoyment and performance.

In reflection I think my perfect change would be an S5 coupe, unfortunately no deals on these presently so looks like I am holding on to the S3 for a bit longer so extended warranty will be on the cards as I can’t see my changing it before March.

The TT although great to look at wasn’t as nice to drive as my S3 saloon, I think it is just the perfect balance of practicality, driving enjoyment and performance.

Exactly how I feel comparing my s3 (albeit sportback) against the wife’s tt

Reactions: Chris4410
I think my perfect change would be an S5 coupe
Having an S3 Saloon at present I agree my perfect change would also be an S5 Coupé......although this won't be happening anytime soon. :D

Reactions: Audi Bairn
If you're seriously looking at a BMW, there's a guy 'called' TRL on babybmw.net . He works for a dealership and has some good deals, so it's worth contacting him. Current contribution on an M140 is around £8.5k.

If you're seriously looking at a BMW, there's a guy 'called' TRL on babybmw.net . He works for a dealership and has some good deals, so it's worth contacting him. Current contribution on an M140 is around £8.5k.

I can get similar deals on M140 locally, BMW seem to be pushing them out the door. And to be honest they don't do anything for me in terms of looks, in fact they look much like a 116i.

I can get similar deals on M140 locally, BMW seem to be pushing them out the door. And to be honest they don't do anything for me in terms of looks, in fact they look much like a 116i.

As does a 1-5 s-line to a S3.....And you missed out the M-Sport on the 116i

I ordered a 140i shadow edition 2 days before audi suddenly found me a perfect spec s3 end of August. Got £9500 off (local dealer matching a stratstone deal) it which basically made the monthlies the same as the s3 as the residuals were £4k weaker at the end of the term. Love my s3 but I still miss that straight six engine which dominated the rest of the car and wonder if I should have stuck with the bm

As does a 1-5 s-line to a S3.....And you missed out the M-Sport on the 116i

True, but the A3/S3 in S-Line trim is a very good looking car. In comparison a 1 series BMW even in M-sport trim looks like a bread van, added to that the interior is woeful.

£20 ....more a month............come on....your not in the position to know how much more it will cost...nor me FOR THAT MATTER but it will be far more than a score..........mate....also new doesnt always mean better....for me l cant see how the all new car will be faster and better to drive...plus look better.... as we on kinda know already what its going to look like...one thing is certain though....is a pair of mice gettin jiggy with it....will sound louder....than the new S3

Reactions: dmpx
I’ve said this before but the FL 8V will look ‘current’ for a long time yet. Any new A3 pulling up alongside me is not going to hurt my self esteem, the design changes are not dramatic, and the interiors likely worse (depending on how you view touchscreens). I’d go outgoing 8V full of options for less money. Winner winner

Reactions: Paul finch and loftylad