Crunch after new clutch. Opinions

goodbuzzman1

Reaction score
Hi
A couple of weeks ago I got in to my missus car (2016 2.0tdi a3 saloon) went to start her up and the clutch pedal went to the floor.

I called the AA and they towed the car to my local mechanics.

They said the clutch had gone and the slave cylinder was leaking. I decided to just get them to replace the whole lot with a 4 piece clutch kit. I also got a genuine master cylinder installed too as the previous one was creaking.

I picked up the car and discovered quite quickly that there is a Violent crunch going in to first gear. Particularly when coming to a stop and putting it in 1st.

I left the car back down to the garage with a note explaining what was happening. I got a call from their mechanic the next day saying that the 1st gear synchros are gone and that they will price up a repair kit or a second hand gearbox.

It is important to note that the gearbox in this Audi was always flawless and smooth like butter. In fact I always commented on how nice it was compared to any of my s3 manual gearbox’s..

I can’t help feeling like they are bullshitting me.

My missus (worked in Audi for years) rang her pal who was the master tech in Audi for many years for his opinion and he said they just haven’t bled it properly and that it is extremely extremely rare for the synchros to go in that gearbox. He said he has in fact done the same job on these models and has been pulling his hair out and almost giving up trying to get it right and it always ended up being an incredibly tricky bit of air to get out.

Anyway, I have the car in my possession as I had to take it back to go to the airport and now I’m in Germany for the week so I have to decide what to do with the car when I get back.

Has anyone found the self in a similar situation?

Tbh I'm loathe to disagree with your wife's ex colleague, you don't often or generally hear of that happening these days, unless it's a non Audi garage with no experience on doing the job before.

It's not beyond possibility they didn't damage something in the process, I do find it quite strange they didn't notice this immediately themselves, infact I'd go so far as to say if they'd test drove the car whose going to believe it didn't show up, certainly you may be right in your thoughts, but there's always the most remote possibility it has gone faulty, but urmm .........

Can your wife's colleague resolve it?

Well I’m in a strange situation. I have the car in my possession and I haven’t paid for the job yet as I had to go abroad for week. When I return I’m going to go back to the garage with the car. I’m in 2 minds what to do. I would love to just bring it somewhere else or even bleed it myself but then if that doesn’t resolve the issue then I’m sure the garage would use the fact that someone else carried out work on the car as an excuse not to resolve it themselves.