Trim removal for fuel filler flap solenoid replacement

Wibbly

Reaction score
So the "Audi way" of replacing the solenoid is from the inside. (Seems there's an alternative to pull out the fuel filler surround from the outside but this risks breaking it)

Not obvious to me how the internal trim in this area should be removed (without breaking it). Anyone got/seen a guide/done it can can share how?

From this view it looks like it does come out from the front, it also says the tank flap must be renewed after removal. It costs about £17 inc vat

Flap 1

Last edited:
Some more info

Attachments

• flap 2.JPG
    flap 2.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,332
  • flap 3.JPG
    flap 3.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,221
Thanks - so that suggests that on an A3, you have to remove and and then replace the flap unit from the outside and remove the bolts holding the actuator in place, from the inside, right? Or do those bolts attach the actuator motor to the flap?

- Can anyone who's done one confirm?
- And how do I get the trim out on the inside (if necessary)?

I’ve had the full boot trim out before. Wish I’d looked back then as mines been broken for around 19 month. It doesn’t stop me opening it. Just means I have to press the fuel cap and press unlock again and it pops open so not as bad as it could be

If it is possible to change from inside I’d be willing to spend the 20 or so changing it

I’ve had the full boot trim out before. Wish I’d looked back then as mines been broken for around 19 month. It doesn’t stop me opening it. Just means I have to press the fuel cap and press unlock again and it pops open so not as bad as it could be

If it is possible to change from inside I’d be willing to spend the 20 or so changing it

A squirt of wd40 might help your cause.

A squirt of wd40 might help your cause.

Tried WD40 - hasn't helped. Actually I now think the motor/solenoid doesn't actually 'try' until I do what @Toonsoldier91 does. But difficult to tell if it's getting truly stuck. So perhaps a part electrical failure in the solenoid?

I’ve seen this get replaced on an a6 and if I remember right it was just yank the whole thing out. The solenoid is screwed on behind the plastic.
Key thing if you are doing it yourself it make sure you connect the drainage pipe. On my a6 I’ve had it back from dealer and the pipe was caught/twisted somewhere so water didn’t flow down the hole. Only noticed when I filling adblue that the spillages wasn’t running down the hole.

Edit: this might help

Trim detail

Attachments

• flap 4.JPG
    flap 4.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 1,345
In the area of the offside near the fuel filler, how do/did you relieve the trim of its attachment to the body?

Can you upload the part you mean ?
If it’s the part your on about in the photo above you have to remove the plastic trim at the boot enterance. Then remove the plastic cover on the hooks and there’s a bolt behind. I think there’s also a bolt near the top next to the rear seats, Then it just pulls off. Then behind there I had some more material but didn’t take that off so I’m not sure if you can get to it or not.

If you decide to have a look let me know please and I’ll do it that way as I don’t wanna yank things off and cause possible damage to paint work

Have just been through this on my 2018 8V.
Went to fill up with diesel on my way home from work on Sunday night when I found the filler flap jammed shut .
No amount of prying would get the thing open ,the red emergency release pull did nothing ; luckily I had 300 miles range left and aborted the fill up.
I turned up at my local Audi dealer early the next morning and they were very helpful, a couple of very firm whacks with the palm of a hand opened the flap.
I ordered a new actuator (8V0862153A) which must be a very common failure item as their local branch had 3 in stock.
It took me about 30 mins to get the old one out using a T20 bit and a set of plastic trim panel removal tools to get the surround frame out, following what I’d seen on a few YouTube videos.
The new one was fitted in about 10 mins and it looks & functions as good as new.
What a rubbish design the actuator is though .

Attachments

• 7AC3F061-D802-4212-9456-BCF4AB3E2D34.jpeg
    7AC3F061-D802-4212-9456-BCF4AB3E2D34.jpeg
    650.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
In mine I just pierced the small rectangles you see in 4 places on the surround as I didn't want to refit a potentially broken surround

In the Q5 I was able to pry it off no problem and the same with my mates 2016 TT

I have replaced several of these for people and I try now to pry them off but always have the surround available if needed - can always be returned

Also, never, ever successfully opened the filler cap with the red chord :wink new::wink new:

It has happened a couple of times to my S5 , I find if you push in on the fuel cap while pulling the red cord it will release.
Maybe a different issue as after spraying silicon lube around the lid and actuator it seems to be ok at the moment.

In mine I just pierced the small rectangles you see in 4 places on the surround as I didn't want to refit a potentially broken surround

In the Q5 I was able to pry it off no problem and the same with my mates 2016 TT

I have replaced several of these for people and I try now to pry them off but always have the surround available if needed - can always be returned

Also, never, ever successfully opened the filler cap with the red chord :wink new::wink new:
Yes I noticed that the surrounds are relatively cheap, although even after releasing mine it didn’t want to come out at the front end, so I ended up working on it at the angle shown in my picture.

It has happened a couple of times to my S5 , I find if you push in on the fuel cap while pulling the red cord it will release.
Maybe a different issue as after spraying silicon lube around the lid and actuator it seems to be ok at the moment.

Tried pushing in the flap whilst pulling the flap release too, also did not work in my case .
Think that mine may have failed in a semi-open state (if that is even possible ) as the guy at Audi didn't slap it THAT hard to get the flap to open.
Looks as if this is a more common failure point than I thought, what a trashy design.
Having had several Audi models over the last 30 yrs with metal locking pins securing the filler flap this latest design is just another case of newer not being better……

I ordered a new actuator (8V0862153A) which must be a very common failure item as their local branch had 3 in stock.
I've just ordered one too, but from LLL Parts, they have a revised part number - 8V0862153B
I'm hoping it's an improved design over the original.
Luckily, mine stopped working in the unlocked position and so hasn't caused any problems getting fuel.

I've just ordered one too, but from LLL Parts, they have a revised part number - 8V0862153B
I'm hoping it's an improved design over the original.
Luckily, mine stopped working in the unlocked position and so hasn't caused any problems getting fuel.
When I was in the Audi dealership on Monday morning (after they had opened the flap for me) I tried to order 8V0 862 153B (having looked it up on the LLL Parts website and assuming it was the latest design) but they showed me the computer screen saying that as of late 2019 the actuator had reverted back to the 153A variant.
I was puzzled by this and so when I returned there the following morning to pick one up that had been transferred in from the other branch I had half-expected the actuator to actually be 153B but no, it was an 8V0 862 153A item , made in August 2023.
I noticed that whilst LLL Parts did give a price for 153B they also said there were issues with availability……so I wonder if this item has now been discontinued…..
When I took the old actuator off (dated Aug 2017) it was the 153A type.

Attachments

• C67DEC1C-792C-4CDA-A6B8-7D487D57B74E.jpeg
    C67DEC1C-792C-4CDA-A6B8-7D487D57B74E.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 12
Interesting to hear it has reverted back to a prior revision.
Despite ordering it last week, it's only just been dispatched so another 3 to 7 days they reckon. Not the speediest company to deal with.
But it'll be interesting to see what I end up with once it arrives.

Interesting to hear it has reverted back to a prior revision.
Despite ordering it last week, it's only just been dispatched so another 3 to 7 days they reckon. Not the speediest company to deal with.
But it'll be interesting to see what I end up with once it arrives.
Yes it will be interesting to see what arrives.
AudiPartsDirect on eBay were offering 153B at £43 delivered ( they’re a Cardiff Audi main dealer just up the road from me) but I thought that was rather steep considering the 153A cost less than £31 from the Bridgend dealer.
I’ve found LLL great, especially for TT parts when they can frequently get items from Europe NLA from Audi UK.
For stuff in a hurry though they are absolutely useless, they source their parts from European VAG dealers which then has to be sent to LLL in London.
Think my quickest ever order from them was 9 days , normally it’s about 3 weeks.

Reactions: SDB
Silicone spray grease on the actuator then work it in/out using your finger by pressing it, recommend doing this from time to time and it'll keep it working like new.

20230715_113104Small.jpg

I had used ACF-50 on mine which is safe on electrics and mechanical bits, and it was as clean as a whistle.
It’s good if silicone spray has extended the life of yours but I believe that its just a rubbish part with a finite life .
Just look how often Audi owners are replacing these .

It's arrived and I've fitted it - 8V0862153B.

Quite straightforward to do. I think the warm weather helped me pop the clips on the surround, rather than breaking them by bodging a screwdriver into the four recesses and having to replace it like so many suggest you have to do.

The only awkward thing was reattaching the drain tube when refitting.

So, for £34.76 Inc del. and a 10 day wait, I'm glad I got the later revision, I just hope it proves to be less problematic.

There will be a DTC logged if you do an ECU scan, so worth clearing it afterwards using VCDS (or similar). Because mine had failed in the unlocked position, I only noticed it when I was resetting my service indicator and did an auto scan afterwards.

Screenshot 2024 06 22 14 06 08 44 965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a42
Screenshot 2024 06 22 14 05 50 56 965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a42

Quite straightforward to do. I think the warm weather helped me pop the clips on the surround, rather than breaking them by bodging a screwdriver into the four recesses and having to replace it like so many suggest you have to do.

So, for £34.76 Inc del. and a 10 day wait, I'm glad I got the later revision, I just hope it proves to be less problematic.

There will be a DTC logged if you do an ECU scan, so worth clearing it afterwards using VCDS (or similar). Because mine had failed in the unlocked position, I only noticed it when I was resetting my service indicator and did an auto scan afterwards.

View attachment 276916View attachment 276917

Am a bit annoyed that I was supplied with 153A, there must have been some change between Aug 2023 and March 2024…..
Not that I can do anything about it now, the old one lasted 6 1/2 years, I can’t see myself owning this A3 in 2030 so hopefully the next time it fails the fix won’t be my problem :tearsofjoy:.

Mine lasted 10 years, so not too bad overall. I'm sure you'll be fine with what you have.
I'm just surprised Audi themselves can't supply the later one.

View attachment 276916View attachment 276917
Mine packed in yesterday (stuck in lock position), had to call the AA out as I was 250 miles from home with only 100 miles of range.

Ordered the actuator from my local Audi dealer (£31).

How did you remove the surround without stabbing it? Ideally I'd like to re-use it but I've ordered another one if I can't.

Firstly, pry the rubber of the surround over the metal fuel filler pipe to allow it to more easily move around.
Then use a plastic trim removal tool on the edge of the surround above the top left clip, gently push down and towards you, once it starts coming forwards use another trim tool to pop the top right clip. Then work the surround out from the left side as the hinge for the fuel flap will prevent the right side from coming forwards.

Reactions: alpesh26
Firstly, pry the rubber of the surround over the metal fuel filler pipe to allow it to more easily move around.
Then use a plastic trim removal tool on the edge of the surround above the top left clip, gently push down and towards you, once it starts coming forwards use another trim tool to pop the top right clip. Then work the surround out from the left side as the hinge for the fuel flap will prevent the right side from coming forwards.
Cheers, will have a go once I pick up the parts

Audi wanted £9 for that sticker that goes in the flap...no thanks!

Apologies if I have missed it in the thread. Does anyone have the part number for the surround? My filler flap got stuck at the weekend and whilst I managed to get it open by pushing it in and pressing unlock on the fob I think it would be wise to replace the solonoid.

Apologies if I have missed it in the thread. Does anyone have the part number for the surround? My filler flap got stuck at the weekend and whilst I managed to get it open by pushing it in and pressing unlock on the fob I think it would be wise to replace the solonoid.
Do you have a petrol or a diesel? The surrounds are different because of the Adblue filler on diesel.

If petrol, i'll have the surround part number for you later when I collect my parts

Do you have a petrol or a diesel? The surrounds are different because of the Adblue filler on diesel.

If petrol, i'll have the surround part number for you later when I collect my parts

That'd be much appreciated. Mine is petrol and having just tried the fuel flap again only to find it once more stuck I need to get it sorted.

That'd be much appreciated. Mine is petrol and having just tried the fuel flap again only to find it once more stuck I need to get it sorted.
8V4 809 906 K. It looks like it will fit diesel models too as there is a space for the ad blue filler. It does say 'A3 Sp' on it so it might be sportback specific.

I broke the tabs that lock onto the flap off the solenoid, that should tie you over till you can replace it. The tank is anti-syphon so no issues with people stealing petrol from it

8V4 809 906 K. It looks like it will fit diesel models too as there is a space for the ad blue filler. It does say 'A3 Sp' on it so it might be sportback specific.

I broke the tabs that lock onto the flap off the solenoid, that should tie you over till you can replace it. The tank is anti-syphon so no issues with people stealing petrol from it

Thanks for that.

Things actually escalated quite quickly today as I thought I'd try my fuel flap again this morning after the other day and it wouldn't open again so with only 25 miles left on the range I needed to sort it asap.

Luckily my local TPS had both the actuator and insert in stock and I've just got back in from replacing it all.

There was no way of opening the flap without carfully prying on the inside of it (on the frame specifically) to release it, from there it was the same as already mentioned earleir in the thread. Pierce the insert where its marked with the indents and use a screwdriver to unclip.

The flange on the drain hose was a little reluctant to go into the new piece so I heated it in some boiling water which made it more agreeable.

The part number for my insert was 8V3 809 906 D I have a hatchback just in case that is relevent.

Thanks for that.

Things actually escalated quite quickly today as I thought I'd try my fuel flap again this morning after the other day and it wouldn't open again so with only 25 miles left on the range I needed to sort it asap.

Luckily my local TPS had both the actuator and insert in stock and I've just got back in from replacing it all.

There was no way of opening the flap without carfully prying on the inside of it (on the frame specifically) to release it, from there it was the same as already mentioned earleir in the thread. Pierce the insert where its marked with the indents and use a screwdriver to unclip.

The flange on the drain hose was a little reluctant to go into the new piece so I heated it in some boiling water which made it more agreeable.

The part number for my insert was 8V3 809 906 D I have a hatchback just in case that is relevent.
Yeah, I ended up replacing my insert too but I can put some black epoxy over the small holes I made so might keep it for next time. Only needed to make holes on the top and bottom at the left hand side and the right side popped out.

Silicone grease on the drain hose helped it go on.