Fed up with fuel filler flap/door

Wibbly

Reaction score
These seem generically unreliable (to unlock), so thinking about simply disconnecting the actuator wires to disable the locking function.

Anyone know of a compatible locking fuel filler cap?

Just replace the parts - not expensive at all and takes less than 30mins - did mine a couple weeks ago and i have a spare used, working actuator for sale if you want it?

Other alternative is the clip the wings on the end of the actuator so it doesnt stay locked when unlocked?

You will need the fuel cap surround and sticker (if you're fussy)

Let me know and I can look up the part numbers for you

mine has issues too, have to press unlock twice on the key to unlock the fuel flap

mine has issues too, have to press unlock twice on the key to unlock the fuel flap
That's surely down to your locking settings. If you have the key set to unlock driver's door only. You'd need to press it twice to unlock it.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

That's surely down to your locking settings. If you have the key set to unlock driver's door only. You'd need to press it twice to unlock it.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Nope, my keys are set to unlock all the doors with 1 press, ran diagnostics and it does show a fault with the fuel flap.

Quick search on the net shows a common problem with the fuel flap solenoid.

Nope, my keys are set to unlock all the doors with 1 press, ran diagnostics and it does show a fault with the fuel flap.

Quick search on the net shows a common problem with the fuel flap solenoid.

This happened to me in the 2.5yrs of my A3 ownership. Never failed, but required 2 pushes of the remote to unlock the filler cap. Weird but i didn’t care. Always worked so left it as is. Defo not remote key settings as suggested, defo a fault but it wasn’t completely broken so whatever!!

I got mine replaced, £20 or so for the part and my friend is a mechanic so did it for me, the surround is a little damaged but don't really care as you only see it when refuelling

I had a problem with my fuel door. Wouldn't open fully and would get stuck between open and closed. Fixed under warranty by my dealer.

Mine wasn't locking at all so I replaced the mechanism and the surrounding with used parts in good condition a few months ago. VAG should improve their engineering and create a more reliable locking mechanism, and maybe create a new fuel cap surrounding design that allows it to be removed without damage.

Reactions: Boydie
Evening all. Got a problem with my fuel door not opening on my A1. Only have 20 miles left so no chance getting home. Literally left it outside the dealer and will ring them in the morning. Had Green Flag out and no joy, red cable not working either. Anyone have a rough idea how much Audi are likely to charge to replace the mechanism and labour? Thanks in advance.

Mine went at 2 years old and no joy from release cable. Fixed under warranty. No idea of cost whether for A3 or A1.

Okay, thanks mate. Mine is 4 years old so don't think it'll be covered by a warranty, unfortunately.