'06 Audi A3 2.0 Tdi 170 BMN P1269 Implausible Signal

mcmurray

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a 2006 Audi A3 Sport 2.0 Tdi Quattro with the 170bhp BMN engine. It struggles to start, when it does the idle is lumpy and it's in limp mode. I've scanned it with VCDS and this comes up:

Address 01: Engine Labels: 03G-906-018-BMN.clb
Control Module Part Number: 03G 906 018 DN HW: 03G 906 018 DN
Component and/or Version: R4 2.0l PPD1.2 1247
Software Coding: 0000172
Work Shop Code: WSC 66565 257 00032
VCID: 74E654F9170ECAEAC9-8020
1 Fault Found:

004713 - PD Unit Injector: Cylinder 4 (N243)
P1269 - 006 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100001
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 40
Mileage: 180420 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2018.12.10
Time: 22:26:03

So I took the rocker cover off and the wiring to that injector appears to be fine, although I did disconnect the main wiring plug that feeds all the injectors and there was oil inside it. Sprayed it with contact cleaner, reconnected and the fault remains. The car has done 112k by the way. I was hoping someone may be able to tell me a specific area to look at for wiring damage, whether oil inside the connector means I need to replace the whole harness or whether its more likely the injector is faulty.

Cheers!

Mike

As long as you dont start the car, swap connectors across see if the fault moves or stays on that injector, then it will prove injector or wiring.

I swapped the wires around but no faults came up after I cleared them on VCDS, I disconnected an injector completely and nothing came up either so presumably the engine needs to be running to register this particular fault.

How did you get on with this Mc Murry?
Still have the faults, Just started having the same problem. Struggling to start and idle is lumpy for about 20 seconds on mine.
Same fault code as you but with 1, 2 and 3 Cylinder.

Mine turned out to be a faulty injector - yours sounds more like it could be the harness so I'd suggest changing that first.

Yep, you are spot on. Changed wiring loom yesterday completely fixed it!

Reactions: ahtcap
Glad to hear that sorted yours, if only mine was that simple! Well I thought I'd fixed it as after I changed injector no 4 it seemed to be idling better so I set about doing the rest of the jobs it needed doing - without test driving it (rubbish idea). As soon as I drove it it was pretty much the same as before, no power then cutting out, struggling to start and a lumpy idle. So I scanned it with VCDS again and now it's coming up with P1266 Implausible Signal from Injector no 3! Has anyone got any thoughts on why the problem seems to have moved to a different cylinder? I've tried two different wiring harnesses and I'm pretty much out of ideas :frown:

Just to add to this, it struggles to start from cold then has an awful idle till it gets up to temperature where it idles perfectly but the blue smoke still remains. I just test drove it and there is no boost at all so I'm now assuming the turbo has also gone - a new actuator has been fitted by the previous owner I'm guessing in the hope the turbo wasn't goosed. After hard acceleration the engine cuts out and then takes a lot of cranking to get going again as though it's being starved of fuel.

Csak ehhez kell tenni, hogy nehezen indul hidegről, majd iszonyatos alapjáraton megy, míg fel nem melegszik arra a hőmérsékletre, ahol tökéletesen alapjáraton működik, de a kék füst továbbra is megmarad. Most teszteltem, de nincs lendület, ezért gondolom, hogy a turbó is elment - az előző tulajdonos új hajtóművet szerelt fel, gondolom, abban a reményben, hogy a turbó nem ment el. Erős gyorsítás után a motor leáll, majd sokat kell pörgetni, hogy újra elinduljon, mintha kiéhezett volna az üzemanyagból.
Hello. did you manage to find the cause of the error?