2014 8v s3 - Is any level of misfiring normal?

Rob West

Reaction score
Morning all, hope Saturday is treating you well? I've got some real time misfiring going on at present across all cylinders, went for a 20 minute drive and I'm getting real time misfiring as follows (recorded using Carista official OBD adapter and Toque Pro app) -

Cylinder 1 - 5
Cylinder 2 - 7
Cylinder 3 - 1
Cylinder 4 - 1

Not getting any error codes, is some level of misfiring like this to be expected? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Rob

Your car should not be misfiring after been running for 20min. It's normally to see <10 misfires on each cylinder when you start your car and it's cold.

1 misfire is nothing to be concerned about but 5 and 7 misfires would make me take a closer look to what could cause these misfires.

But when you say real time misfiring what do you mean? Are you sure it's not just the total amount of misfires from when you started logging? Because if you started logging from when the engine was cold then it's totally normal.

Hi Lehn, thanks a lot for your reply, that's really helpful. It's the total number of misfires since the logging session began, so it does seem that's occuring intially, then stopping, otherwise I'd expect it to be a higher figure. I'll take it for another drive and reset the session once it's warm and see if it continues. Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

Yeah so I reset the session once warm and restarted and I got a single misfire on one cylinder which I'm guessing is negligible and ok then?