Hid replacement bulb experiences...

CHEZ

moderately amusing
Supporter
Reaction score
Hello.
So, much to my displeasure, my passenger side headlight bulb failed after a night shift the other morning..
Car in question is a 2009 A5 with led drl's..
10 years on the factory bulbs is pretty good going in my opinion, however after researching the price of these, obviously I need to do 2, because that's what you do, I was wondering who has good and bad experiences of replacements.
I removed my headlights today to confirm it is in fact the bulb and not ballast related, and indeed the problem switched to the other side..
It would come on, warm up then go off after 2 minutes.
Indicating that the bulb is goosed, because it did that on the other side prior to the switch.
Anywho.
The price and choice of bulbs is quite impressive.
It's a D3s bulb and prices vary from £30 a bulb to £100 each.
Obviously I don't want no tat, and I don't want my pants pulling down either paying over the odds for the same product..
I also would like to have a slightly more powerful unit now that the opportunity is with me.
Which leads me to colour temps.
Standard oem is 4300k I believe, 5000k is led white, and anything more is blueish Chav area.
I would like to go 5k, and match the colour of my drl's, but want to know what everybody has been replacing with and there experiences.
At the minute I can source some 5k Phillips super duper jobbies from Germany for £120,
Or osram super night breaker things for a few quid cheaper but are not as white.
Or go ebay cheapies.
Tbh, how easy it is to remove these headlights, it is not a problem to play around with.
I just would like a decent value for money set.
All comments much appreciated

Hello.
So, much to my displeasure, my passenger side headlight bulb failed after a night shift the other morning..
Car in question is a 2009 A5 with led drl's..
10 years on the factory bulbs is pretty good going in my opinion, however after researching the price of these, obviously I need to do 2, because that's what you do, I was wondering who has good and bad experiences of replacements.
I removed my headlights today to confirm it is in fact the bulb and not ballast related, and indeed the problem switched to the other side..
It would come on, warm up then go off after 2 minutes.
Indicating that the bulb is goosed, because it did that on the other side prior to the switch.
Anywho.
The price and choice of bulbs is quite impressive.
It's a D3s bulb and prices vary from £30 a bulb to £100 each.
Obviously I don't want no tat, and I don't want my pants pulling down either paying over the odds for the same product..
I also would like to have a slightly more powerful unit now that the opportunity is with me.
Which leads me to colour temps.
Standard oem is 4300k I believe, 5000k is led white, and anything more is blueish Chav area.
I would like to go 5k, and match the colour of my drl's, but want to know what everybody has been replacing with and there experiences.
At the minute I can source some 5k Phillips super duper jobbies from Germany for £120,
Or osram super night breaker things for a few quid cheaper but are not as white.
Or go ebay cheapies.
Tbh, how easy it is to remove these headlights, it is not a problem to play around with.
I just would like a decent value for money set.
All comments much appreciated

I bought these off @t8ups (EM Tuning) and replaced both the sides for the bulbs to match. I am not sure about Philips ones; I went ahead with Trups recommendations and can't fault them tbh. And these match the drl's.

94a41a9f6eeda8b917ef9b99f7e5edbb.jpg

Reactions: CHEZ
I bought these off @t8ups (EM Tuning) and replaced both the sides for the bulbs to match. I am not sure about Philips ones; I went ahead with Trups recommendations and can't fault them tbh. And these match the drl's.

94a41a9f6eeda8b917ef9b99f7e5edbb.jpg

Thanks, yeah I have these on my shortlist.
So you rate them highly then yes?
Better than the previous ones? What's the colour like?
Can you really see further lol?!

Reactions: V6_Man
Thanks, yeah I have these on my shortlist.
So you rate them highly then yes?
Better than the previous ones? What's the colour like?
Can you really see further lol?!

I can only compare them against the OE ones and as I have changed them only recently I can clearly tell the difference. The visibility is definitely better / has improved. They match the drls. The light is very even and symmetrical and there is a noticeably cool blue beam. And as the bulbs are pretty new I am sure they will wear in after they have been run for a few hours and get better.

A thread here on ASN for 'easy' decision making

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/xenon-bulbs-review-philips-vs-osram-vs-oem.337844/

Just replaced mine with osram night breaker and yeah the difference is night and day. The original ones were pretty old and obviously well past their best.
Impressed with the Osram ones!

Reactions: V6_Man and CHEZ
Fitted a set of those Osram Lasers to my SQ5 (standard were pretty poor tbh) noticeable difference in brightness and range, not sure about the 200% claim right enough and for some reason the warranty's not as long as on their other bulbs.