Finally resolved 2.0tdi low coolant temperature

jakm15

Reaction score
Finally resolved my low running temperature, the car tended to run around 70 degrees and I felt this wasn't correct but after trawaling many forums etc loads of others report this and many said it's normal. I decided to change the thermostat to be sure and it now runs bang on 90, big difference in warm up time, interior cab heaters a lot hotter and better mpg.

Coolant temp prior was 70 and oil temp around 78, now coolant temp runs at 90 and oil at 100, this must be loads better for the engine.

Took me about 5 hours really taking my time and I cleaned the EGR valve and ASV out while it was off.
05f509766943ef6755ad2abee6f34323.jpg
29f9d64c7454aca3ddf1001f0671af8c.jpg
eba23776080f13be32313bbf832ffe3c.jpg

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: EXSpartan36, MuPPeT_ON_TouR and Marky007
Great job :thumbs up:

Think al do this a preventative measure was if difficult ?

Will also do egr.

Did you use genuine parts

Reactions: jakm15
Great job :thumbs up:

Think al do this a preventative measure was if difficult ?

Will also do egr.

Did you use genuine parts
If your decent with the spanners it's not a bad job,

If you remove the EGR and anti shudder valve you have a lot more room, you need the remove a bracket holding an electrical connector on and an intercooler pipe then you can get to the thermostat. That's held on with 2 bolts and you need to remove a torx bolt that holds a solid plastic pipe in place that comes from the thermostat.

Then it's just a case of removing all of the hoses of the stat and re assemble then fill up and bleed, you need to remove one of the heater matrix hoses that's behind the scuttle panel to bleed all the air out.

Mine is a manual but if you have an Auto there is also an inline thermostat somewhere that is prone to failure, there is also 2 types of thermostat that seem to fitted, the one like mine that's in a housing with the 4 or so pipes leading off it or you could have the one that is just one pipe and a plastic flange with the thermostat in.

I fitted one branded Mahle or something like that, seems to have done the trick. OEM doesn't seem much good seeing as so many fail very early on in the cars life.

Reactions: Marky007 and MuPPeT_ON_TouR
If your decent with the spanners it's not a bad job,

If you remove the EGR and anti shudder valve you have a lot more room, you need the remove a bracket holding an electrical connector on and an intercooler pipe then you can get to the thermostat. That's held on with 2 bolts and you need to remove a torx bolt that holds a solid plastic pipe in place that comes from the thermostat.

Then it's just a case of removing all of the hoses of the stat and re assemble then fill up and bleed, you need to remove one of the heater matrix hoses that's behind the scuttle panel to bleed all the air out.

Mine is a manual but if you have an Auto there is also an inline thermostat somewhere that is prone to failure, there is also 2 types of thermostat that seem to fitted, the one like mine that's in a housing with the 4 or so pipes leading off it or you could have the one that is just one pipe and a plastic flange with the thermostat in.

I fitted one branded Mahle or something like that, seems to have done the trick. OEM doesn't seem much good seeing as so many fail very early on in the cars life.

Thanks for that yeah mines a manual

Reactions: jakm15