Clutch pedal problems!!

Najainitro

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 62 plate late 2012 A3 1.4 TFSI. It’s the 8v newer shape model with about 75,000 miles on it.

Car has been perfect for the last 12 months no issues whatsoever. Did a long run yesterday (200 miles with a break in between), got home without issue.

Then this morning I went to start the car and couldn’t put it into gear. Basically the clutch pedal seems to have no pressure in it for the first 3/4 depression, then seems to regain pressure for the last 1/4. It’s enough to start the car with the clutch depressed but not enough to engage the clutch and I can’t get it into gear with crunching the gears.

The pedal moves and springs back to its original position so it isn’t staying depressed.

I checked the fluid reservoir to find the fluid on minimum so I’ve topped that up with dot 4 but no change. I’ve also have a quick look around the pedal and reservoir and can see no leaks.

What I don’t understand is why I’ve had no prior symptoms?

I’ve read a few similar forums but nothing specifically like this. I’m hoping it’s something fairly simple and I was going to start with the master cylinder. The problem I’ve got is that if it ends up at a garage it will need recovering.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or does anyone have any views or tips?

Thanks very much in advance everyone.

Paul

By way of update, I’ve had a good look around the engine bay and it looks like what I think is the slave cylinder has failed has there is clutch fluid everywhere in the area of it.

It’s located on the right of the engine above the gearbox.... looks easy enough to replace 2 bolts and a pipe... does anyone have any experience of replacing them and how do I go about bleeding it after is it just a straighforwArd bleed of the nipple on top?

Cheers

Attachments

• EB4D36A5-B048-4ADC-BAB9-1B16C3D32AF6.jpeg
    EB4D36A5-B048-4ADC-BAB9-1B16C3D32AF6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 168
That's pretty much what happened when the slave cylinder failed on my clutch. Nothing at the top part of the pedal and it was biting even when fully pushed to the floor. Consequently, unable to select the gears. This all happened rather rapidly where it was completely fine to undriveable in the matter of about 5 mins.

Cant advise on the job since Id just pay someone to do it these days.

Had this on my old golf. Sh1t happens.
My advice is pay a garage to do it if you are not sure how it’s done. You don’t want to end up breaking something else or make the car unsafe to drive.

Reactions: Damo S