whats the smell? diesel or carbon?

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
im getting a carbon like smell from my car -exhaust,stinks,smells on some diesels but this is very strong some say its like a diesel smell some say its more a cabon smell,either way,if your sitting in the car u cant smell it through the vents but if u have the window down u can smell it quite bad,my friend was standing out side the car today(car on idle) he moved after 5 minutes said the smell was irratating his eyes!

What can it be? my previous threads are about the same car,the mystery of 26mpg! maybe its related to the bad mpg.

sort of smells like a petrol car with the lambda(oxygen sensor) thats failed.

A4 TDI 130BHP 1.9 AWX ENGINE PD TDI 2001,NEW MAF,COOLANT SENSOR,NO FAULTS-VAG-COM

hello matey
i had a smell like you mentioned, its like rotten eggs???? my maf was faulty, also had the same prob on my previous car (Golf gti) then i was getting the same smell and **** mpg, that time it was the lambar sensor

if your not getting any faults check your air filter and check for vac leaks???

Sulphur smell?

Catalytic Converter?

Theres a shot in the dark for you, I dont know if diesels even have cats!

terrysingh said:
hello matey
i had a smell like you mentioned, its like rotten eggs???? my maf was faulty, also had the same prob on my previous car (Golf gti) then i was getting the same smell and **** mpg, that time it was the lambar sensor

if your not getting any faults check your air filter and check for vac leaks???

can i check for vac leaks with vag-com?
ive had a brand new dealer supplied maf.
mpg is ****.
its not like eggs,more like diesel/carbon sumat like that.

what do diesels have instead of lambda sensor's?

if catalytic is knackerd will it give bad mpg?

yeah, my mate works for benchmark and says allot of modern diesels have cats, your better of booking it in with the maindealers if the vagcom is ok?
you dont want to risk carbon or sulphur build up within the manifold, very costly to repair

anything i can do myself? does anything need taking off and cleaning? will it give bad mpg?

mainstealer! 105 + v.a.t just to look! if i can check do anything myself would be better.