Think I’m gonna cry...

Bryant1998

Reaction score
So... driving down some country lanes earlier and saw an opening to a small single track lane, I wanted to stop to sort my music out so thought I’d go down there. Worst mistake of my life, I’m not sure if that road is a land mine testing area or what but it’s got to be the worst road on the planet.
To cut a long story short, I hit a huge dip in the road at about 30/40mph, it looked like a very small dip but it was enough to send the fog light covers out of the front bumper and rip half the undertray off... one of the fog light covers was ran over in the process, the other one perfectly intact and even landed in grass so zero scratches, think that’s the biggest positive I can bring from this event.
Here’s the sad part, my engine now doesn’t want to hold its idle. The throttle feels juddery, on acceleration it feels like it can’t decide if it wants to go or not, once it’s going it’s alright, holds the revs even in cruise control with no power issue, on hard acceleration it pulls like normal but on easing off the throttle it judders.

No visible leaks, no visible damage, no codes or warning lights... I’m at a complete loss on what is wrong, looking for any suggestions of things to check before I take it to my mates garage tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So... driving down some country lanes earlier and saw an opening to a small single track lane, I wanted to stop to sort my music out so thought I’d go down there. Worst mistake of my life, I’m not sure if that road is a land mine testing area or what but it’s got to be the worst road on the planet.
To cut a long story short, I hit a huge dip in the road at about 30/40mph, it looked like a very small dip but it was enough to send the fog light covers out of the front bumper and rip half the undertray off... one of the fog light covers was ran over in the process, the other one perfectly intact and even landed in grass so zero scratches, think that’s the biggest positive I can bring from this event.
Here’s the sad part, my engine now doesn’t want to hold its idle. The throttle feels juddery, on acceleration it feels like it can’t decide if it wants to go or not, once it’s going it’s alright, holds the revs even in cruise control with no power issue, on hard acceleration it pulls like normal but on easing off the throttle it judders.

No visible leaks, no visible damage, no codes or warning lights... I’m at a complete loss on what is wrong, looking for any suggestions of things to check before I take it to my mates garage tomorrow

I've no suggestions mate but i cried a bit inside reading this...

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bryant1998
Mate I felt a great sadness for you as well hope you get it sorted. I did something similar but slowed right down to about 10pmh and it was night time

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bryant1998
Yeah it sucks lads, proper gutted like you wouldn’t believe, one month before insurance is due aswell so my banks not gonna enjoy this...

Reactions: leonwilliams
spose theirs no chance of claiming of the council never know

Potentially but that will mean everything at the garage goes on invoices instead of cash and worst of all I’d have to go back to that road :(

not if you do a pro forma listing all the parts that are damaged they will pay you up to you what you spend it on we do pro forma insurance quotes for customers mind you we take a pre agreed payment up front customers always change there mind when they have the cash in the hands

not if you do a pro forma listing all the parts that are damaged they will pay you up to you what you spend it on we do pro forma insurance quotes for customers mind you we take a pre agreed payment up front customers always change there mind when they have the cash in the hands

What’s a pro forma listing mate? Not even sure who I’d go to contact about it either?

its a form of insurance quote just get in contact with the council for that road and ask them how you go about claiming the damage to your car get plenty of photos of the road and potholes that's it

its a form of insurance quote just get in contact with the council for that road and ask them how you go about claiming the damage to your car get plenty of photos of the road and potholes that's it

Appreciate that mate will do, can imagine where they tell me to stick my form tho

Reactions: BD55SOL
You were going 30-40mph down a small single lane track, en-route to change your music... kind of self inflicted no?

You were going 30-40mph down a small single lane track, en-route to change your music... kind of self inflicted no?

I could see very far down the lane, it’s in the middle of nowhere, so no traffic and obviously I was going to stop to go on my phone. Was hoping to find a passing spot that I could stop at. Self inflicted in the sense that I was driving, yeah...

I doubt it's serious, have you had a proper look under the car as the undertray could've ripped a sensor cable out or put a nick in an intercooler pipe.

I doubt it's serious, have you had a proper look under the car as the undertray could've ripped a sensor cable out or put a nick in an intercooler pipe.

Not had chance to have a proper look yet but it’s going to mates garage later anyway if I don’t have time

Think the problem is found, intercooler is cracked so need a new one ASAP as car is sitting in the garage. Planning on going stage2+ at some point anyway so might aswell get a new updated intercooler, any ideas what to get? I’ve found one on eBay but it doesn’t specify its for the 8P or stage 2+ but the brand was recommended to me by the garage (they’re into tuned Audi’s)

1069d2edd4458d637c8a9c63665ac7cb.jpg

No, that's for the MBQ platform. You need something like this ...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIRENZA-...OR-AUDI-A3-S3-8P-TT-1-8-2-0-TFSI/232972145555

Don't be tempted by the cheap Chinese knock-offs - there's more to intercooler design than how it looks from the outside. You might be better off with just an OEM all alloy S3 intercooler?

I was under the impression that the toyosports are good quality and will take stage 2+?
They’ve responded today saying this is the toyosports one for my car
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/383041884113

At least you know what the issue is mate. Slightly expensive detour

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That’s true, but whole front end to come off yet when replacing intercooler so could still find something else :/

i always recommend a metal underbelly. does not add that much weight and gives piece of mind. so much debris on roadway

Update, intercooler was cracked on one of the plastic support lugs about 2/3 of the way up, new fmic installed, fit like a glove and was definitely bigger than the original one, sexy silicone pipes on aswell and all is working fine so far (only driven 10 miles back from garage so far)

Also, does anyone know where to get the foglight surrounds for the facelift bumper? Somewhere that isn’t £90 each

got my one of ebay for the face lift oe 75.00 each gloss black will try and find the link

Update, intercooler was cracked on one of the plastic support lugs about 2/3 of the way up, new fmic installed, fit like a glove and was definitely bigger than the original one, sexy silicone pipes on aswell and all is working fine so far (only driven 10 miles back from garage so far)

Also, does anyone know where to get the foglight surrounds for the facelift bumper? Somewhere that isn’t £90 each

Which intercooler did you go for?

Toyosports
Direnza

Good news that it's sorted!

Which intercooler did you go for?

Toyosports
Direnza

Good news that it's sorted!

Went with the toyosports in the end, looks great. Only thing left to sort now is bumper/undertray and wheel arch liners

Update, about 6/7 weeks ago the council admitted liability for the road and today we’ve agreed on a settlement figure.
Been a long process but glad with the end result, now time to get the car back to its former glory!

Reactions: JayTeeA38P